I just ran over a dog today =(

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Man, it's a really sick feeling. I just get off from work all happy I have a 4 day weekend, and I'm driving on a semi backroad to get home. I'm going about 60 mph, and I see the car in front of me swerve as a dog runs right in front of it and chases the car for a while then runs back to the other side of the road into some trees(this happens about 1-2 miles ahead of me)

SO I continue going thinking all was well and the dog is gone, when suddenly the dog bounds out from the trees 20 feet in front of me, I swerved as hard as I dared (I'm going 60-70 in a car I don't really trust) but the dog hit the side of my car hard....then I felt a sickening crunch. I stopped as quickly as I could and watched the dog from my drivers side mirror.

It was twitching in the middle of the road for a while and then stopped moving, just layed it's head down and stopped. Here I had to make a choice of wether to get out of the car and see what I could do, or drive off.

Off course I was a little in shock here (I love animals and I've never really killed anything) but then thoughts raced through my head....like what if it was horribly mutilated and that image would stick in my head, or what if it was barely alive but suffering and I dind't have anything to put it out of it's misery (I don't know if I even could have done that). So I decided to drive away, I kept looking back at my rear view mirror for miles, staring at the white spot in the middle of the road. Man do I feel rotten and horrible :(

What I did, I know it wasn't the best choice, but I have no idea what else I could have done. I was in the middle of nowhere. I'm pretty sure the dog hit headfirst into the side of my car (there is a big dent there now) so maybe it went unconcious? and dind't feel getting run over? I really did try to avoid the dog the best I could, but all I can see is the look on the dogs face as it was running at my car. Like it was happy and playing :(

Impact55

Platinum Member
Feb 16, 2000
Man I just checked boards one time before I got ready for my trip, but this is just sickening, WHY DON't YOU CALL THE SPCA YOU SICK BASTARD

xero

May 1, 2000
damn man.....that sucks bad...you shouldn't worry too much..its not your fault that it popped out in front of you and you couldn't avoid it...

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't have a cellphone, and I was litterally out in the middle of no where. About 1 hour away from any town, just lot's of farmland.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
That is terrible. What you should have done is seen if you could have found the dog's family. It's hard when somebody just leaves your animal in the middle of the road. But you made a mistake, and you obviously feel terrible about it. I would just keep in mind it was probably unconcious before it died, and did not feel a thing. I am sorry you went through that. :(

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
sorry to hear that :( I can understand you're upset :( i personally would have stopped to check......but.....man, i feel sorry for you :(

hippy

Oct 9, 1999
Hitting the dog is sad:( It was and accident and probably couldn't be avoided... But to just keep on driving because you didn't want to feel bad?

That's repulsive.:|

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Man that's really sick, and really sad... :(

I would hate to see something like that, and I would feel absolutely terrible if I was in a situation like that. I'm sorry you had to go through that, it must have really sucked :( poor poor dog.. :(

-RSI

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Thinking about it now I guess I should have stopped. But there on the side of the road I was in shock, I really do mean it. Thoughts were flooding in my head so fast I wasnt sure what to do. No answer seemed right. What if the dog was still alive? I dind't have anything with me to put it out of its misery, and I doubt I could have.

I guess I panicked

hippy

Oct 9, 1999
Guess I wouldn't want you anywhere near if I needed someone to try and save my life... or anyones, for that matter.

Or even for to tell someone I didn't make it.

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
I don't mean to be cold, but there are a great number of things happening in the world that demand our attention that are more important than one dead dog. As horrible as this event was, Joeyman, it doesn't warrant you're worrying about it so much. Pour yourself a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios and move on...

Impact55

Platinum Member
Feb 16, 2000
Sorry about the harshness of my first post, but I have seen far too many people run away from dead dogs. You can at least call your local vet which could call the SPCA(help identify dog and pick it up, or help revive it). Running away from your probelms is what weak people do, just to enlighten you. As a certified lifeguard, I know you could never guard lifes as you panick over something so small.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
For God's sake, people, it was a dog. I'm sure had it been a human he would have reacted differently. Yes, he probably should have stopped. But... It's too late to change it now.

Give him a break.

Viper GTS

hippy

Oct 9, 1999

<< For God's sake, people, it was a dog. I'm sure had it been a human he would have reacted differently. Yes, he probably should have stopped. But... It's too late to change it now. >>

Attitudes like yours, Viper... are most likely why we have to have gun laws.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
My attitude? I'm just sayin' that leaving the scene of hitting a dog is not at all in the same league as leaving the scene where you hit a little kid, for instance. Yes, he was wrong...But there's no reason to jump on him like this.

As far as gun laws, what kind are you talking about? I'm certainly not pissed off, so what does a gun have to do with anything?

Viper GTS

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I think you should have stopped to check on the dog. It is the law in many states - it's called 'hit and run property.'

Now I have hit a dog two times in my life. Rule number one is to stop and check - to give assistance if possible. HOWEVER, I got bit by the little dog I tried to give assistance to - so reasonableness is in order - a big dog could injure you severely; the next step - rule number 2, would be to get to the nearest phone and call 9-1-1.

I blame the dog's owner for letting it loose in the first place. If he had it under control (fence, leash, etc) it would be ok today. Also, I never endanger human life for a dog. I will run over it rather than risk killing myself, passengers or other drivers.

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
Its a terrible thing to hit a dog and leave..but.....having never been in that position I cant say I wouldnt have panicked and acted the same way. In my area its illegal to have a dog unleashed so the owner of the dog cannot totally blame you for this.

...and for some of you guys who are giving him a terible time...last time I checked the world is still spinning :) So give him a break.

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
there's no reason to go so nuts over this. i was a DOG. an animal with an intelligence level no where near the human being, plus dogs are bread in millions, often carelessly.

yes, I care for dogs, I have one myself, and I would have stopped to check on the dog. but saying that a guy who runs over a dog isn't fair, I can understand if his blood just froze, and I would probably also have been pretty shaken by doing a thing like that.

and I agree on the blame the owner thing, that's what leaches and demandment of control of your dog is for.