I just had an idea to have my class put into...

JoeFahey

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2005
Two years ago I read in the book of world records that ~23 kids watched 32 movies for 59 hours. This is 2 full days and 11 hours. While I was in Student Council today, ( I am a Junior in High School) we were talking about some kind of bake-off, and the idea of having this movie marathon to break the record popped into my head. I am the treasurer of my class, and I usually head these types of things. Not only would it be a really cool memory to take out of High School knowing our class made it into the Guinness Book of World Records, but we could make a little extra spare change from selling lots of popcorn and beverages during this ordeal.
We have two more breaks, February and April (Both are a week long). I am the student representative to the school board, so I could talk to the members to get it approved, especially if it is during the beginning of vacation so they aren't worried about kids being tired in school.
Has anyone here ever attempting or accomplished a record in the book? I am pretty sure you need to have an official come to whiteness it, but are there many other steps?
This would be an incredible memory to take out of High School, and it could also act as a mini-fund-raiser. All advice, good or bad, is welcome!
THANKS!

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
i have a feeling it will be tough to get people actually staying for that long.

JoeFahey

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2005
Originally posted by: BudAshes
i have a feeling it will be tough to get people actually staying for that long.

You'd be supprised how many high school students would attend for the whole thing if you told them that it would be in the Guinness Book of World Records.

And even if most of them left, I know I could find at least 10 core students who would stay to keep the record. Of course I would need to talk to the officials to see if leaving was acceptable as long as a certain amount stayed.

Juice Box

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2003
It will be very hard to pick movies that everyone will agree on. Perhaps you should switch it up comedy/serious?

Also, I'd stay away from "nerd alert' movies (LOTR, Star Wars, etc....) because you'll only get flame wars *rolls eyes at people in general*

But that sounds like a fun idea. Would be awesome if you can rent some sort of projector to setup in a large space to make it fun.

JoeFahey

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2005
Originally posted by: Juice Box
It will be very hard to pick movies that everyone will agree on. Perhaps you should switch it up comedy/serious?

Also, I'd stay away from "nerd alert' movies (LOTR, Star Wars, etc....) because you'll only get flame wars *rolls eyes at people in general*

But that sounds like a fun idea. Would be awesome if you can rent some sort of projector to setup in a large space to make it fun.

I was thinking of putting it in our auditorium (we have an AWESOME one), and setting up a projector like you suggested. That would make it easier to watch.

As far as deciding movies, I was thinking that we should form some type of committee like the school does for so many other things. The committee could vote on movies, come up and movies everyone would like, and agree on the details. Of course many students wouldn't want to go to all of these meetings, so that is why the committee could compromise for movies everyone would enjoy, and not just what the committee would enjoy.

But I really need to contact Guinness to make sure I understand everything.

Mardeth

Platinum Member
Jul 24, 2002
I expect you cant take any major breaks (15mins+) and no sleeping. I remember watching through MI:1 and MI:2 in a row and even after that Ì felt tired. Have any of you ever been awake for 59+ hours? And mostly likely youll have to add several hours to that since you wont start it straight out of bed. Keeping awake will easily be the hardest part. Sitting in a cozy and warm chair will soon make you ZzzZz. Think it throught, good luck thought :).

OSX

Feb 9, 2006
You'll probably be stuck watching only school appropriate movies. which sucks.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Mardeth
Have any of you ever been awake for 59+ hours?

Not without high power chemistry - almost impossible I'd say, especially sitting down.

JoeFahey

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2005
I also had another idea which would make it more appealing to the adults. I remembered how there are always walk-a-thons where you go door to door getting pledges for a certain amount of money per mile you walk. What about the same type of thing for this? We could get pledges for it to make it a true fund-raiser, and donate 50% to the soup kitchen or something.

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
So does everyone have to stay awake for the 59+ hours it takes? Cuz that would suck if you get some A-hole that shows up and walks out after 24hrs just to ruin it for everyone.

JoeFahey

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2005
Originally posted by: S Freud
So does everyone have to stay awake for the 59+ hours it takes? Cuz that would suck if you get some A-hole that shows up and walks out after 24hrs just to ruin it for everyone.

That's why my next step is to spend a lot of time researching this and contact Guinness.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
59 hours? Good luck, have fun. Typically, things make it into the book as records in the first place because they are NOT easy to break. Sayyy you start with 100 students. 95 of them are going to fall asleep within 36 hours of sitting in a comfortable chair, watching movies. I'd recommend suspense movies.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
You will have to check each movie individually. Some require a viewing fee. Could be expensive if you wanted to do it as a fundraiser. You may end up spending more for the rights to view the movies.

Nov 5, 2001
I'm betting Guiness will need much more notice to attend the event. And that assumes they are interested in renewing the category. Some times they just let records lapse.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i used to be in a 4H club when i was younger. we did something similar to this, i forget what it was called, but it was basically staying awake watching movies, eating, playing games, etc. for 24 hours or something to that effect.

we would go around and have people give money as pledges if you stayed awake for certain amount of time or something like that. can't remember the exact details.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: rudder
You will have to check each movie individually. Some require a viewing fee. Could be expensive if you wanted to do it as a fundraiser. You may end up spending more for the rights to view the movies.

i don't think so. people aren't paying to watch the movie. they're donating money to you to stay up that whole time.

ngvepforever2

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2003
1.- do a survey on kids who haven't watched a single episode of 24
2.- Get them together for a 24 marathon
3.- Provide beverage and food
4.- See as they watch nonstop for 48 hrs and ask you to watch the third season
5.- profit ....

Regards

ng

JoeFahey

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2005
Originally posted by: ngvepforever2
1.- do a survey on kids who haven't watched a single episode of 24
2.- Get them together for a 24 marathon
3.- Provide beverage and food
4.- See as they watch nonstop for 48 hrs and ask you to watch the third season
5.- profit ....

Regards

ng

I was thinking of a tv series instead. It might be more interesting, instead of having to switch gears every 2 hours.