I just had a thought

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
I think Samsung is going to own the CPU market for the next 30 years the way Intel has owned it for the last 30 years.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Why would you think samsung over qualcomm? AFAIK, qualcomm sells to and makes more money off of their consumer CPUs than samsung does. Almost every android phone out there, and especially flagship phones, use a qualcomm CPU.

This, of course, ignores the fact that x86 is still king in a lot of ways. Mobile phones and OSes have eaten into the PC market, but they haven't removed the necessity for it.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Today Qualcomm does.

Qualcomm is missing two things Samsung has:

The ability to create internal demand for CPUs.
One of the best chip factories in the world to build them.

And GloFo is going to be feeding them for a long time.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Today Qualcomm does.

And if not Samsung buys GloFo and good bye to the arabs who currently owns the company.

Also Samsung is like AMD right now... they are focused on Multi Threading, but has one difference... there are software that uses it.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Today Qualcomm does.

Competitors, though, would be reluctant to buy a Samsung CPU vs Qualcomm. (Assuming samsung puts it up for sale). Samsung can jack up the price, refuse to sell, or only sell them older versions of their CPUs.

While they would have demand for their own products, it would be hard for them get the expansive demand that Intel has because other manufacturers sell their parts.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
CPU SoCs are going to be much more about visual processing in the future. The vast majority of the work done by an SoC will be related to 3D visual processing. Future smartphones will interface with optical equipment and an array of sensors. So you have to ask.... which company is best positioned for this new paradigm?

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
CPU SoCs are going to be much more about visual processing in the future. The vast majority of the work done by an SoC will be related to 3D visual processing. Future smartphones will interface with optical equipment and an array of sensors. So you have to ask.... which company is best positioned for this new paradigm?

That is a pretty big assumption. I know virtual headsets are all the rave right now, but so were 3d printers a few years back. I've yet to be convinced that VR is the end all be all future of everything.

What about servers? Those aren't going away any time soon and they have almost no need for 3D visual processing.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
As others have observed, it does not look like other OEMs are eager to take a chance with Samsung's SOCs for various reasons. Given Qualcomm's mishaps with S810 I would have thought there should be more end-user products with Exynos inside but that did not happen. See how Samsung keep high quality AMOLED panels to themselves and I can understand why OEMs are weary of buying their SOCs.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I think Samsung is going to own the CPU market for the next 30 years the way Intel has owned it for the last 30 years.

Samsung is incredible small in terms of logic manufactoring. So they are going to need a growth in the 10x region at least.

bulletin20160426Fig01.png

And looking for 2016 Q1 revenue:
bulletin20160512Fig01.png

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Samsung is a cover band is it not? I dont see them taking the lead in a great many things?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Yep. Their semiconductor R&D is also pretty low considering what they span. But when you steal technology you dont need so much ;)

Figure%201%20-%20top%2010%20semiconductor%20R&D%20spenders.png