I just had a great idea for the next Star Trek series!

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
All the Star Trek series in the past have always been serious with only the occasional comedy.
I'm proposing this time for this Star Trek series to be a comedy!

I was thinking of the ship having this crew of screwups, the people who just barely made it through Starfleet academy. They are on this run down ship with some bad luck name like the USS Titanic.

The Captain is some comedian like Chris Tucker from the Rush Hour movies. The first officer is some hothead with a real big chip on his shoulder. The engineer is some guy who is very resourceful and inventive but a number of times makes things that blow up or go bad in some form or another. One of the bridge crew is of course some sexy woman that the guys are always chasing after.

Starfleet sends them usually on simple missions that an idiot could do (or more complex ones only if they are literally the last choice they have). Of course while they somehow manage to screw something up, in the end it all works out.

So what do you think? A gem, a maybe, a dud, or something else?

Savarak

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2001
It sounds SUSPICIOUSLY like the great anime classic "Irresponsible Captian Tylor"...!!!

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
It wouldn't really be "realistic". Think about it. When was the last time you saw a US Navy ship run in that manner? It just wouldn't be consistent with the other Star Trek series.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: notfred
You should rent Galaxy Quest.

Forget renting Galaxy Quest, it's a must buy IMHO notfred :)

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
You bumped a nearly 2 month old thread just to say it would suck? How about at least saying WHY it would suck?!?!?

MacGaven

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2002
That is the worst idea I have ever heard because it's unoriginal and has already been done.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I like Star Trek but it is as funny as a heart attack or an episode of Friends where Rachael and whats his face break up again.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
it would have to be on hbo will some full frontal alien nudity and raunchy alien sex:) female officers would have dirty mouths like the chicks on sex and the city:)

going to alien planets for "first contact" would have a different meaning:)

Cycad

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2000
BOOOOO this idea suxors my ballxors.

How would such an ignorant man become a captain? This smells like Sgt. Bilko or McHale's Navy meets Star Trek.

BOO this man!

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Just watch Red Dwarf instead. They can't make a better series than that, so they shouldn't try to either.

Edit: 'Picard' is a big fan of Red Dwarf, and so are several of the other Star Trek actors.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Bah.. the series Lexx gets it right with their irrepressible mixture of sexual titillation and self-centered irreverence. People die, worlds explode or get eaten, and an entire universe is destroyed, all while the captain and crew of the Lexx take it in stride..

Star Trek has tried comedy and it hasn't worked. TNG used Joe Piscopo as a comic foil to teach Data humor (only Carrot Top could possibly have been less funny), and Star Trek V: The Final Frontier had Kirk use the immortal line, "Spock! Not in front of the Klingons!"

BTW I thought Galaxy Quest was pretty darn funny..

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Anyways seeing as we're beating the dead horse again, not everyone on the ship would be screwups.
The captain for example is a very competent captain, someone who is as good as Kirk, or Picard, but would be put in charge of that ship because he did something that's more embarassing to Starfleet than being necessarily wrong. So Starfleet can't really get rid of him, but they can make him miserable at least.

Some of the comedy that they have done on Star Trek has been pretty bad, but some of it has been good. Who remembers Harry Mudd from the original episodes? He was a constant source of humor. Especially the part at the end of the planet of robots where they program Harry's wife bot to not shut up. :D

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
Don't think they should give it the Star Trek title if it's going to be an all out comedy...