I just graduated from college, now what?????? CIA???

Kerouactivist

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2001
I just graduated last weekend, I was planning on going to law school but, I decided that law school is not for me. This puts me in a precarious position.

I have a B.S. in Political Science, and I don't have any clue WTF I am going to do with it!!!
I have really got into building computers Etc...... for my friends....

I really don't know what I want to do for a job, their really isn't much out their for poly sci majors interested in technology or poly sci majors overall.

Does anybody have any ideas, as a possible career route???

Any help would be appreciated because I feel lost!!

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
when u wake up, u'll still be a freshman in college with 3 exams the next day.

j/k :)

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Political science? That should get you an immediate job at McD's...the rest will take time. ;) I've known lots of people who graduated with no clue what they wanted to do for sure, but eventually ended up in a good job, normally unrelated to their field of study. It's hard to get what you want, if you don't want something, or better phrased, if you shoot at nothing, you are bound to hit it. Go to work somewhere for now. :)

PCHO

Apr 3, 2001
If this was 2 years ago you could go get your MCSE and go into IT. However since those with certifications and education in the field are having troubles, I might not recommend it. What about Law School turned you off? What kind of work would you like to do? Tough to make a call like that for somebody else as the decision will really be yours in the end but I'd be happy to spit out ideas.

yobarman

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
wow you should've thought about your career feild before you spent 4 years getting a degree.

SirDante

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2000
same here man. i graduated with a poli sci degree from a good undergrad. did the obvious thing, grad school.

wnied

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I just graduated from college, now what??????

Move out.

Get a job.

Stand on your own two feet and become a useful member of society.
~wnied~

joohang

Lifer
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: bthorny
I just graduated last weekend, I was planning on going to law school but, I decided that law school is not for me. This puts me in a precarious position.

I have a B.S. in Political Science, and I don't have any clue WTF I am going to do with it!!!
I have really got into building computers Etc...... for my friends....

I really don't know what I want to do for a job, their really isn't much out their for poly sci majors interested in technology or poly sci majors overall.

Does anybody have any ideas, as a possible career route???

Any help would be appreciated because I feel lost!!

You are doing this all backwards.

You identify your passion and strong points. You decide a career path. You choose your college program if you either have an academic interest in the program and/or decide to pursue a career that requires the degree.

You look for internships, co-op, related job experience DURING the 4 years. If necessary, build a strong relation with some of your professors so that they write good references for you.

Then rather than looking through newspapers for job postings in an unrelated field, you probably had job offers through the various connections you established.

I may sound harsh, but it is never too late. Look into yourself. Take a walk around your neighbourhood or a park. Think about yourself. Identify yourself. Seek what you want. And pursue it.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
any helpful suggestions throw some my way

<-- history/poli sci double major, graduating in 2003

i have a friend that'll be working for a campaign organizing company... basically you are a professional campaign manager and these smaller candidates pay you to run their campaigns... find a campaign to work on perhaps if you're interested in that. i did an internship at a campaign - loved it :)

you could go to work for political/social organizations... greenpeace, NRA, AARP, etc. working out in the community

there's always grad school.

there's always getting certified and seeing what's left out there job wise.

actually i might wind up getting a masters in education, and probably teaching elementary school. :) but if i don't i might work in asian american advocacy.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
In the words of Tyler Durdin's father "Get a job". Then, "Get married".

Ryan

Kerouactivist

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2001
I actually was kind of thinking of that line in fight club when I wrote this.

I thought about the CIA, I am still thinking about graduate school, and I suppose my tech options are still open considering I am fairly young 22.

I have a problem being that my girlfriend is graduating in December and she is moving to St. louis to get here masters, I would like to stay with her, but jobs are really limited in Missouri when it comes to getting a job with a poly sci degree.

I am not really that interested in running a campaign but, it would be interesting to try, how is the pay??

Also, how does one go about becoming certified, if I decide to go that route?

Kerouactivist

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2001
I was perusing the CIA site and Linky.
Looks pretty interesting, the emphasis in my major was international relations so it falls into that area.

I wish the site would go into depth about what the job actually entails instead of how it really generalizies what one does working for the CIA..

Anybody know anything about working for the CIA?

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I was perusing the CIA site and Linky.
Looks pretty interesting, the emphasis in my major was international relations so it falls into that area.

I wish the site would go into depth about what the job actually entails instead of how it really generalizies what one does working for the CIA..

Anybody know anything about working for the CIA?

I do, but then I would have to kill you if I told you :D

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
Check out state goverment, the is quite of few jobs in PA state gov that only requires a degree, I'm sure MO is probably the same

schmedy

Golden Member
Dec 31, 1999
Funny, another college grad with no idea with what to do with a degree. It amazes me how many people go to college and don't think of what to do AFTER college. I tried to tell my sisters to think of what they are going to do after, but of course what do I know. I doubt you will get into any non-entry level (above GS-5) Federal Government job with just a degree and no experience, I work for the Federal Govt. now and 95% of the people I have met in any of the different government agencies we work with are prior service military.

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
pol sci major should not take 4 year.. it was only 39 credit in my school SUNY SB.. i double in pol sci and economic minor in business and economic was like 40 credit also. Then you take some bs classes to diversify and you're done... CIA/NSA recruits when ur in high school less in college. You'll have a rough time unless you're super knowledgable in the "intelligence" field... but if you can find osama, i'm sure they'll let you in any agency really fast..

theres like only a few decent majors that you can really earn money from... and i still dont know what they are... but good luck

Kerouactivist

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2001
Yeah, I had a friend ho worked for the NSA, while he was in the military.
The CIA sounds nice but, they really put alot of pressure on you in the polygraph, and apprently their training is really harsh, bring at one point they lock you in a room for 2 days without food or water and basically interogate you.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Yeah, I had a friend ho worked for the NSA, while he was in the military.
It sounds nice but, they really put alot of pressure on you in the polygraph, and apprently their training is really harsh, bring at one point they lock you in a room for 2 days without food or water and basically interogate you.

Ahh... the days of living at home... :)