I just got the Blackberry Q10! **30 day update**

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
*******July 21; 30 day UPDATE
I'm 1 month in and I didn't return the phone at the 14 day mark, even though I was really thinking about it. Here are my thoughts after using it for a while:

PRO:
1. Physical keyboard is really awesome. No more having to rely on crappy autocorrect.

2. Peek and Flow is awesome. I find myself using the BB gestures when I use my old Android phone. (BTW, battery life on my old phone is awesome now that it doesn't have cell service)

3. BB Hub is amazing too. I love having everything in the hub and seeing.

4. I really like the control over what you can allow an app to have access to.

CONS:
A. No Apps. The banking apps I want to use aren't there. Hopefully BB OS 10.2 will fix this and encourage the banks to port their app over.

B. No pattern unlock

C. The desktop link software makes my computer lag.

D. Screen size makes surfing the web a bad experience, because you have to scroll left and right sometimes.

CONCLUSION: Awesome for communication, crap for entertainment. If you type a lot get this or something with a massive screen.

***July 1 UPDATE

CONS:

Side loading the apps I want to use are not going to work until the BB 10.2 update comes out in December.

I can view my documents in Google drive, but can't update them. I can live with that. I'll just update my notes when I get home and in front of my desktop.

Google Talk app is unreliable. My friend said she isn't getting some of my messages that I asked her about. She has no reason to lie, they were just "Hi" type messages. She also said that she sent me an IM when I never got.

Surfing the web sucks. Screen is too small and causes eye strain unless you zoom in, then you have to scroll left and right.

GPS/ phone navigation makes the back of the phone very hot really quickly. My HTC Vivid never got this hot so fast. Maybe the design of the BB transfers the heat to the back cover and the HTC just holds it in? I dunno.

PRO:
Keyboard is awesome. Sending e-mails/SMS from my phone is a joy.

E-mail and calendar sync work really well. BB Hub is awesome.

Battery life is awesome, but funny how the battery lasts 24+ hours when you surf the web minimally.

CONCLUSION: I wish I waited for the Samsung Note 3.

I picked it up close to Minneapolis, not Mall of America. The store got 4 units and they sold 2 before I walked in to the store. Pretty good for a mall that was dead at 5:30 pm on a Friday.

I had a HTC Vivid before this and the BB Bold 9000 before that (for 2 years on contract + 1 year off). I moved away from blackberry because the follow ups to the original Bold were crap. They shrunk the phone when everyone else was making their phones bigger. When they finally released the BB 9900 they put a small battery in it. In my opinion the Q10 is the true successor to the Bold 9000.

I also was considering waiting 4 months and getting the Samsung Note 3 (which is my #2 choice) when it comes out, but decided against it because of issues with fitting a phone of that size in my pants pocket.

Here are my initial reactions:

Pro:
1. I really like the BB Calendar. It pulled all of my stuff from Google Calendar and I think it does a superior job of displaying events.

2. It pulled all of my contacts from Google Contacts and displays them better than on my old Android phone. I wonder if it will update google contacts if I add something in my BB.

3. Having a physical keyboard again is awesome. I hated typing on a touchscreen a having the keyboard take up half of the screen, covering up what you need to see.

4. Big LED notification light is back!

5. Big speaker in the bottom next to the mic is awesome. It makes total sense since everyone seems to hold the phone to speak into the mic when it is on speaker anyway. I would have preferred putting the big speakers in the area where the normal speakers are.

6. Immediate difference in battery life (and I just bought a new OEM battery for my HTC about 3 months ago).

Con:

A. Good bye google services until I figure out how to sideload. I need Google Drive and Maps with Navigation.

B. The Apps for my brokerages aren't there. They made things easier on the Android.

C. Smaller screen makes surfing the web and watching videos less enjoyable.

Last edited:

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
Let us know how everything goes.

By the way, BB10 will be able to run Android 4.2 apps in an upcoming update.

santz

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2006
there is a lot of chatter over the net with a lot of major news sites reporting that BBM for android and iOS will be released on 27th June, although Blackberry says that it would be a little later than that.

I have been a dual phone blackberry and iPhone user for a long time, and have recently invested in an S4, literally carrying all 3 phones until i ditch the iphone and blackberry. BBM is very important, can finally get it on android.. yeaaaa

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Agreed the 9900 just wasn't an inspiring phone. I disagree about the 9000 being the last good one. The 9700 and 9780 were excellent phones. Been using them for about 4 years now and if they weren't worn out, I probably wouldn't be considering the Q10.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I went for an HTC one over the Q10. I was really disappointed how BB handled their product launch in the US. (Announce in March, not avail until end of June?).

Plus as you mentioned, I'm plugged into the google app ecosystem with gmail, drive, and maps. Let us know how the performance is for google apps that you sideload.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
there is a lot of chatter over the net with a lot of major news sites reporting that BBM for android and iOS will be released on 27th June, although Blackberry says that it would be a little later than that.

I have been a dual phone blackberry and iPhone user for a long time, and have recently invested in an S4, literally carrying all 3 phones until i ditch the iphone and blackberry. BBM is very important, can finally get it on android.. yeaaaa

BB should have released that years ago for other platforms. The longer they have left it the more people have abandoned it.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Agreed the 9900 just wasn't an inspiring phone. I disagree about the 9000 being the last good one. The 9700 and 9780 were excellent phones. Been using them for about 4 years now and if they weren't worn out, I probably wouldn't be considering the Q10.

The 9700 and 9780 were smaller phones. How is decreasing the screen size in a newer flagship smart phone an upgrade?

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
The 9700 and 9780 were smaller phones. How is decreasing the screen size in a newer flagship smart phone an upgrade?

Well, I never said "upgrade" in the first place.

Secondly, since when is screen size the indicator for upgrade vs. downgrade?

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
July 1 UPDATE

CONS:

Side loading the apps I want to use are not going to work until the BB 10.2 update comes out in December.

I can view my documents in Google drive, but can't update them. I can live with that. I'll just update my notes when I get home and in front of my desktop.

Google Talk app is unreliable. My friend said she isn't getting some of my messages that I asked her about. She has no reason to lie, they were just "Hi" type messages. She also said that she sent me an IM when I never got.

Surfing the web sucks. Screen is too small and causes eye strain unless you zoom in, then you have to scroll left and right.

GPS/ phone navigation makes the back of the phone very hot really quickly. My HTC Vivid never got this hot so fast. Maybe the design of the BB transfers the heat to the back cover and the HTC just holds it in? I dunno.

PRO:
Keyboard is awesome. Sending e-mails/SMS from my phone is a joy.

E-mail and calendar sync work really well. BB Hub is awesome.

Battery life is awesome, but funny how the battery lasts 24+ hours when you surf the web minimally.

CONCLUSION: I wish I waited for the Samsung Note 3.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
dayum, i cant believe an anandtech bro would be stupid enough to buy a bb...

the "cons" sound miserable, why would anyone put himself through that when there are at least three better os alternatives...

Jul 10, 2007
3. Having a physical keyboard again is awesome. I hated typing on a touchscreen a having the keyboard take up half of the screen, covering up what you need to see.

4. Big LED notification light is back!

5. Big speaker in the bottom next to the mic is awesome. It makes total sense since everyone seems to hold the phone to speak into the mic when it is on speaker anyway. I would have preferred putting the big speakers in the area where the normal speakers are.

6. Immediate difference in battery life (and I just bought a new OEM battery for my HTC about 3 months ago).

3. swiftkey
4. on all the popular android phones
5. HTC One
6. had excellent batt life on my htc one and n4

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I don't understand someone saying "Should've got the Note 3" when they got the Q10. Those are polar opposite phones.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Right?

Its like "I hate my Civic, I should have bought an aircraft carrier."

Exactly, those cons are not even cons if you are the market for the Q10. No one should buy the Q10 if surfing the net on a large screen is a priority. Sideload Android Apps? It's a Blackberry and this is just a bonus. I hope you're not holding the phone in your hand while you are navigating in your car so the hot phone back is pretty moot, too.

This is not a Note 2 or Note 3 or even a Z10. In fact, it is about as much not a Note 3 as you can possibly get and still be a smartphone. It's like you're trying to eat soup with a fork.

Last edited:
J

Joe1986

I don't understand someone saying "Should've got the Note 3" when they got the Q10. Those are polar opposite phones.

Especially with BBM coming to iOS and Android.

Fail. Take it back, today. I have serious doubts if BB as we know it will even be around in a couple of years. After they announced they were changing their mind about moving the PlayBook to the new OS, I'm done with them forever.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
Well, I never said "upgrade" in the first place.

Secondly, since when is screen size the indicator for upgrade vs. downgrade?

Because of the design of the Bold, shrinking the screen size also meant shrinking with keyboard (the width was reduced, making it an overall smaller phone). It was much more difficult to type in the followups to the Bold 9000. The successor phones were worse than the original. I would have upgraded to another blackberry from the 9000 if they just re-released the same size Bold 9000 with an optical track pad, bigger battery, more ram, and a faster processor. All very reasonable requests.

I don't see it that way. Yes they are in different categories, but one of my major criteria for a new phone was easy to type out e-mails, txts, and fill out forms. The screen size on the Note 3 would allow for that.

Last edited:

OneWayTraffic

Mar 14, 2013
Since Android is open source, I was wondering why they didn't try a phone that could switch from Android to BB without sideloading.

I think BB still has a place. They're actually selling more phones than ever, just about. It's just that the market has exploded, so the %age has gone down.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Since Android is open source, I was wondering why they didn't try a phone that could switch from Android to BB without sideloading.

Because at that point why keep the native BB OS at all? Just port the special things BB OS has to Android and call it a day.

I think BB still has a place. They're actually selling more phones than ever, just about. It's just that the market has exploded, so the %age has gone down.

I think they have a place too. No one really makes Android phones just for the business market. Could be their niche if they don't blow it.

Last edited:
J

Joe1986

They're not selling more phones than ever, they lost 4 MILLION customers during the last quarter.

BB is still in trouble, and will likely not exist as we know it as we know it with their cash burn rate. Plus they just pissed off a lot of the faithful by orphaning the PlayBook already.

They likely won't be able to reinvent themselves another time, and their current offerings are not, despite what the zealots say, competitive.

BBM to Android and iOS would have been a big deal 2 years ago, not now, with a ton of 3rd party options available. Plus, with BBM on other platforms, they just shot themselves in the foot on the hardware sales side, if they manage to port it successfully, and I have my doubts about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Plus, with BBM on other platforms, they just shot themselves in the foot on the hardware sales side

Not if they made it exclusive to BB's Android phones (like Touchwiz).

If they would have listened to us years ago they would maybe be the third biggest Android maker today. :)

Last edited:
J

Joe1986

Smartphone buyers have gotten more sophisticated and demanding over time, they actually look at stuff like how many apps are available.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
30 day UPDATE

I'm 1 month in and I didn't return the phone at the 14 day mark, even though I was really thinking about it. Here are my thoughts after using it for a while:

PRO:
1. Physical keyboard is really awesome. No more having to rely on crappy autocorrect.

2. Peek and Flow is awesome. I find myself using the BB gestures when I use my old Android phone. (BTW, battery life on my old phone is awesome now that it doesn't have cell service)

3. BB Hub is amazing too. I love having everything in the hub and seeing.

4. I really like the control over what you can allow an app to have access to.

CONS:
A. No Apps. The banking apps I want to use aren't there. Hopefully BB OS 10.2 will fix this and encourage the banks to port their app over.

B. No pattern unlock

C. The desktop link software makes my computer lag.

D. Screen size makes surfing the web a bad experience, because you have to scroll left and right sometimes.

CONCLUSION: Awesome for communication, crap for entertainment. If you type a lot get this or something with a massive screen.