I just got Stalker

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Since I've recently upgraded video cards, how well would Stalker run on my system?

DC Opteron 165 @ 2.75Ghz
2GB RAM
7900GS (OC'ed to 550/1600)

One reason why I don't play the latest games is I don't usually have the hardware to run them. I'd rather wait and enjoy the games with better hardware and performance.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
As others have suggested, you should download the patches. The latest so far is 1.4 (I think). This is only if you want to play the original game.

I would argue that you shouldn't even bother playing the stock game. Upgrade to the official 1.3 patch, and then download the Stalker Redux/Alive mod bundle. It is the bee's knees.

Redux adds realistic damage and accuracy based on real guns/ammo statistics which a gun-nut modder took weeks to input, and the Alive mod component turns on many of the "A-Life" free-roaming NPC bits which were supposed to be included in the original release, but were cut by THQ to speed up the release.

This mod combo is some of the best fun I've ever had in any game--it becomes very challenging and "alive" (lol) with the extra modding.

Here's the link to the Stalker Redux forums: linky You should find the proper stuff there--just be sure to click on the "list all" drop down in the releases section, or you will probably not see all of the older files.

Enjoy the game! It was a really pleasant surprize for me after I added the mods, despite the initial missed promises the game didn't deliver upon release.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I think 1.0005 is the latest patch.

For me Stalker is the best game of 2007 so far. :thumbsup:

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
@Miklebud and Martimus, i see. Thanks for the info. So to clarify, the learning curve is shallow at the start, but once you learn the game is exceedingly easy?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: BFG10K
I think 1.0005 is the latest patch.

For me Stalker is the best game of 2007 so far. :thumbsup:

And your avatar fits oh so very well with Stalker too :)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
So to clarify, the learning curve is shallow at the start, but once you learn the game is exceedingly easy?
I wouldn't call the game easy, it?s just not as hard later on as your guns and armor get better.

And your avatar fits oh so very well with Stalker too
Thanks but it's a coincidence as I changed it to match the original icon from Quake 3 when you pick up BFG10K ammo. :p

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
I love the game ... played it with the first patch that came out, and had very few issues. I may go back and re-play one of these days with a mod to alter it slightly.

Take your time getting into it, be patient, as it takes a little getting used to, but is well worth it.

Put it this way, it is worth it enough to actually have me type out S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Dang it, I bought this game and never played it because I had a 6600GT! Now I have to find it... :D

DaveBC

Mar 18, 2004
One of the best games ever IMHO. Have fun!

Some fo the the mods are fun. Repairable armor and wepons.... carry more weight.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: potato28
Dang it, I bought this game and never played it because I had a 6600GT! Now I have to find it... :D

I'm sure a 6600 GT could play it on low.

cheapherk

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2000
I just picked it up again yesterday because it was on clearance at Target for $7.48. When I tried it the fist time, I thought it was difficult. I really disliked the MP.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: SonicIce
Originally posted by: potato28

I'm sure a 6600 GT could play it on low.

Now I can play it on Medium/High mix with my x1900GT. I always enjoy games more when the graphics fit the atmosphere.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I've started playing it again. A while ago when I played it, it took me a while to get used to it and I moved slowly so only got as far as the start of the Bar missions. Now I'm using faikes mod. I actually find it is too easy with that mod, since with the much relaxed weight restriction and traders who sell every possible weapon and item, it is very easy to pick up everything, rack up a lot of money pretty quickly, then buy good guns and armor.

So I might remove the mod and try something else, or start over on Veteran difficulty (or whatever is after Stalker). I'm only a little further than when I stopped before, but it was much quicker this time. That and playing it 3-4 hours straight the past few nights helped. :)

Awesome game. Love the freedom and random things that happen.

edit: I still have to use Static lighting to get smooth play. I want to stay at 1680x1050 with mid details, and using Object dynamic lighting is okay but I can just tell it gets too choppy often. I thought the patches since I first played the game, and maybe my new dual core @ a higher clock would be enough, but my lowly 7800GT still can't do it.

TehBluebear

Dec 5, 2007
I absolutely love S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The atmosphere is one of the best I have encountered in any game that I've played. When I'm stood on a hill, slashing it down with rain in the middle of a desolate wasteland, with tumbledown buildings, and mutant dogs howling in the distance, I'm struck with an incredible sense of loneliness. And do you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh, and I advise a clean pair of boxers/underpants at hand for the first time you go into an underground section....

As others have said, patching up the game is a must. Fixes a few bugs, such as a particular major one where a door to a mission giver would not open after a certain amount of time.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Dang... got bored so I reinstalled Stalker. Playing at master and I'm hooked. However, kind of annoyed at the early guns. The AK-SU and pistols suck. Too bad so little ammo for MP-5.

The newest patches don't seem to have done all that much for performance. Glad to know that the quests have been fixed.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Imp
Dang... got bored so I reinstalled Stalker. Playing at master and I'm hooked. However, kind of annoyed at the early guns. The AK-SU and pistols suck. Too bad so little ammo for MP-5.

The newest patches don't seem to have done all that much for performance. Glad to know that the quests have been fixed.

I don't know about performance. I was able to run HDR on my X800 XL after the latest patch, after getting a slid show with it before. Of course, now that I have a HD 3850 I don't have to worry about that at all.

Trianon

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2000
www.conkurent.com
Originally posted by: TehBluebear
Oh, and I advise a clean pair of boxers/underpants at hand for the first time you go into an underground section....

QTF, I am a grown man, but the first encounter with bloodsucker did make my heart jump to my throat...