I just got a myspace threat

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Got in a couple fights with him while I was in what I'll call a "boys home", basically its a place you can be sent instead of juvenile hall but your parents can send you there without a court order... My mom sent me there because she didn't want to deal with me after the divorce. .

Anyway, I come home from work and have an email from myspace letting me know i have a new message. Hop on myspace and the message says:
If I see you

I'm beating your ass awesome dude.

He lives in Seattle last I knew, I'm in Tacoma, which is a good 30 miles from him. I'm not scared of him, however, I am taking his threat seriously. He does have a picture of himself with a gun on his myspace... and I know for a fact that 4 years ago he packed, illegally (he's 20). Not scared of guns, just physcos with them, I grew up with them (guns that is) but I'm not old enough to carry. My worry is that if he comes looking for me, he'll bring a couple of his "Gangstas".

So, with the little message he sent to me, do I have enough to press charges? I know he's had a couple misdemeanors. I don't want to end up pissing him off more if the police don't do anything.

UPDATE 11/20/07
I spoke with an officer and got some general advice. Couple things I need to take into consideration. I did live in the same dorm as this guy for approximately 6/mo, so it could be a domestic violence case (the fights from before, and the current threat), this took place in Tennessee so I don't know their laws.

If I feel there is an imminent danger to myself, I can try to get a restraining order, problem is I need to know where he lives or someplace he hangs out so that he can be served. Problem is that I only remember his first name, and the closest I can get a location is Seattle, not good enough. Plus, pointed out by the officer, if he is really pissed a restraining order wouldn't do much but piss him off more.

He suggested my course of action be reporting it to myspace so that the threat can be documented. Since he did have a picture of himself holding a gun (thug style no less), it is violation of their TOS and his space will be shut down, but everything on there, any communications he has had, will be documented and can be later pulled up if charges are filed.

So for now that is what I am going to do. I am taking screenshots of everything and printing off things of relevance. I am also going to do what I can to get this guys last name and look him up.

This wouldn't be an issue with me, but I vaguely remember his threats before I left the boys home as well. Him reiterating them 4 years later is a little psychotic... so I am being careful.

Thanks for all your advice. I will update if/when anything else happens.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
wow, what did you do to this guy that he's looking you up on myspace 4 years later and threatening you?

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: dbk
get a restraining order

That will not resolve the problem, but it is certainly the right first step to resolving the problem.

MotionMan

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: pontifex
wow, what did you do to this guy that he's looking you up on myspace 4 years later and threatening you?

Yeah what he said. I'd get a gun...and just ask the police your options--you know talking to people never hurt anybody.

Mar 11, 2004
Originally posted by: MotionMan
get a restraining order

That will not resolve the problem, but it is certainly the right first step to resolving the problem.

MotionMan

I don't know, it might actually goad the other guy into doing something.

OP, how much does this guy know about you? It might be best to just completely ignore him.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Send him an email back telling him that you're in the Police Academy and close to graduating and you'll be looking for him as soon as you get out.

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
Anybody who thinks they are 'gangstas' and act like gangstas (wear huge hoodies/shirts, carry weapons, etc.) should be euthanized :D

JK (or am I?)

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: RESmonkey
Anybody who thinks they are 'gangstas' and act like gangstas (wear huge hoodies/shirts, carry weapons, etc.) should be euthanized :D

JK (or am I?)

No, they should be kicked in the balls, neutered, and forced to wear emo clothes.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
move to tx

invite him to your house

throw a rock through your neighbors window when he steps on your lawn

problem fixed

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: teclis1023
Contact local police department?

I work for/with the local PD. I was going to talk to him chief tonight but missed him before city council went into study session. I'm sitting here now talking about a lady present something on wetland buffers.

I was a "dorm leader" which means that I made sure everything was in order. I also handed out calisthenics when people got in trouble. He got 12 concurrent hours once, and I gave him 8 of those. So thats one thing, I also had to give them to him on a number of other occasions. He also didn't like that I had to make sure the dorm was in order, which means he had to clean up his shit.

I got in a couple fistfights that never amounted to much, other than the first one where I got my ass handed to me.

I wanted to make sure I had a legitimate reason to go to the police before I did. I think a restraining order would do nothing but entice him.

Believe me, I would carry if I was 21.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
It would be a peace bond, not a restraining order. Restraining orders are usually used for a relative in a domestic situation.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: darkswordsman17
get a restraining order

MotionMan

I don't know, it might actually goad the other guy into doing something.

OP, how much does this guy know about you? It might be best to just completely ignore him.

If he believes that it is a credible threat, I would not recommend doing nothing.

MotionMan

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
Originally posted by: teclis1023
Contact local police department?

I work for/with the local PD.

So why are you asking for advice here?

MotionMan

Because I didn't want to try to press charges if I actually couldn't. He didn't threaten my life so I wasn't sure. I wanted to get ATOTs general take on it.

Updating OP in a second.