I just bought a grill last night...

BigJohnKC

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
I just bought a grill and all the necessary supplies last night, and I was wondering if anyone had any grilling suggestions? What's your favorite thing to grill? I need some recipe ideas... :)

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
The first thing you need to grill is a big, thick T-bone steak. Make sure it's at least 1" thick, and 1lb heavy. Put some garlic powder, salt, and oil into a bowl, use that as a marinade. Add a bit of soy sauce instead of salt if you're feeling adventureous.

Then take some cracked black pepper (not the normal pepper that comes out of a shaker, you need cracked pepper) and put that on the steak. Use a lot. Grill to medium rare and you're eating like a king. Also fry some onions and mushrooms to go with the steak. Add baked potato and you're in like flynt :D

BigJohnKC

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
ThaGrandCow,

That sounds great. I think tonight we're going to go with just steak-flavored steak, no marinades, but maybe this weekend we'll have to try something like that. Thanks :)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Did you purchase a gas or charcoal grill?

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: BigJohnKC
Nobody has any other recipes?

You need a recipe for meat?! Hell, just throw pretty much any kind of meat on there, and have at it already...

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
If you like Thai Satay, then I have a good recipe for ya.

Thai Chicken Satay (ThaI BBQ)
3 lbs Boneless Chicken Breasts, cut into .5" thick strips. (or you can use Chicken Tenders, but they are more expensive)
1 Cup Lite Coconut milk
1 tsp Ground Corriander seed
1 tsp Tumeric
1 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tbsp Red Curry Powder
1 tsp Fish Sauce
1 tsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp Lemon or Lime Juice
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Hot Pepper Sauce
Bamboo Skewers

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and allow the chicken to marinate overnight (at least 8 hours, the longer, the better.) Soak the skewers in water for at least 1 hour (helps to protect them from burning while on the grill). Skewer the chicken length-wise and grill for 10 minutes on each side (untill golden). Serve with peanut sauce below.

Peanut Sauce (I didn't make this recipe up, I took it from here
1/2 cup peanut oil
1/2 cup raw peanuts
2 fresh Thai or serrano chiles
1 slice fresh ginger, 1/2 inch thick
4 garlic cloves
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk (canned or fresh)
2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
4 teapsoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Pinch of salt (add to taste, as fish sauce can be very salty)
1/2 cup finely minced cilantro leaves and stems
Heat the peanut oil to nearly smoking in a saucepan. Turn off the heat and add the peanuts. The peanuts should cook to a golden brown in 3-5 minutes. If you burn them, throw them out and start all over again or your sauce will be bitter. You may have to turn on the heat again, but stir the peanuts if you do.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer the peanuts to the container of a food processor or blender, along with 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil (reserve the rest) and blend them to a rough paste. Add the chiles, ginger, garlic and continue to blend. Add the remaining ingredients except the cilantro, and blend until smooth. If it is too thick, add more oil. Stir in cilantro, and serve as a dipping sauce with satay or anything else, or thin with oil and serve as a salad dressing.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: BuckleDownBen
Asking for recipes for a grill is like asking for recipes for making ice cubes.

Only a novice would say that. Yeah, grilling is generally pretty easy. Salt, pepper, charcoal. That's it. But if you start getting into real recipes like the thai satay I posted, or chilean sea bass, or good sword fish, etc, you can get into some complicated recipes, as with any other method of cooking.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
satay is really malaysian.

spatulas causes sticking. the junction between cooked and non cooked isn't very cohesive, so you have to wait until a good layer of cooked is there before flippings.

teriyaki + flank steak is good grillin'

BigJohnKC

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
It's a charcoal grill - the only real grill IMO...

You need a recipe for meat?! Hell, just throw pretty much any kind of meat on there, and have at it already...

That's what we're doing tonight, but I know there are some really nice marinades you can try that really add some good flavor to the meat. Just straight beef is great, don't get me wrong, but sometimes you need a little spice. :)

Beau6183,

Sounds interesting. I'm not sure if I'm up for Thai food yet, but I'll keep the recipe somewhere handy...Thanks!

Thrillhou,

Beercan chicken, eh? Doesn't seem too hard to do...

MajesticMoose

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
I'm quite fond of what i made myself for lunch today. A top surloin(sp?) steak with some salt and pepper rubbed on it. Cooked 5 on one side, little over 4 on the other. mmm, i can't wait til i go home again:)

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Sure.

Boneless, Skinless, Extra-Lean Chicken Breasts. Tyson are great.

Boca Burgers.

93% or higher extra-lean ground beef.

98% extra-lean ground turkey burgers.