'I hope Trump deports you': Customer threatens Puerto Rican woman for speaking Spanish

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Why is it important whether they're really a racist? How is being racist any more than trying to say the most mean-spirited slur one can by targeting unchangeable attributes of their victim?

"I'm sorry for saying shitty racist things but I'm not really a racist, I just get annoyed sometimes": a coward to boot.

I agree but what I would accept is that people shouldn't be labelled for all eternity by the worst thing they've ever said, just because it got caught on camera. They should be given the chance to apologize and change their attitude/ways. The "being labelled forever" issue is an unfortunate hazard of social-media. Racism is something people do, not something they are. I think. Probably. Except maybe Richard Spencer and Donald Trump. They've done it a bit too much - it's clearly now permeated their entire being.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
My thinking is that it matters at the voting booth. I think that we can get so overly PC that we push away good well meaning spirits come elections.

There's more to politics than the voting booth. It matters in everyday interactions and social and economic choices. But have to admit it's also true that policing language can get out of hand and be a cover for not doing anything about material things. People can say all the right things but still behave like bastards.

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
There's more to politics than the voting booth. It matters in everyday interactions and social and economic choices. But have to admit it's also true that policing language can get out of hand and be a cover for not doing anything about material things. People can say all the right things but still behave like bastards.
Exactly, your point goes both ways though, people can say "shitty things" and behave like gentlemen irl all the same... Also at the booth.
I dont think the anti Trump side has the luxury to turn anyone away.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Exactly, your point goes both ways though, people can say "shitty things" and behave like gentlemen irl all the same... Also at the booth.

I still don't think we are on quite the same page. How one speaks and relates to people _is_ real, it has real effects on people and it matters. But it's all a question of degree, I suppose. There's a difference between telling someone to 'go back to their own country' and just using an out-dated term out of innocent ignorance or not grasping the finer points of political theory.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I agree but what I would accept is that people shouldn't be labelled for all eternity by the worst thing they've ever said, just because it got caught on camera. They should be given the chance to apologize and change their attitude/ways.

Agreed provided that they apologised; importantly though is the bit I emphasized in your post IMO. There's probably ten thousand apologies for every one that really meant what they said (as opposed to "sorry I got caught", which I'd put in the "coward" category).

I'd forgive Trump if he truly repented by trying to make amends for the rest of his life for what he's said and done. Someone with his history and position in society could do a lot of good.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
The poor woman is only trying to find a sense of self importance to counter her inner feelings of worthlessness. That inner self hate is the source of all bigotry. She actually believes that speaking English makes you better. She would have the same reaction to somebody speaking Finnish who was a Stanford professor of English Language. Such people are a dime a dozen and don't really need to be taken seriously. Feelings of worthlessness are universal.

That, and they are in a Dollar Tree store.

No offense to those here who shop at $T. :)

Reactions: DarthKyrie

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
If she is here illegally, she should be deported, or be considered for citizenship if there is a legitimate reason, even having children born here and residing for years, would constitute a legit reason to me.

If it is your (ignorant, based only on language spoken) opinion, and you're willing to risk getting an arse whipping, do exercise your freedom of speech, knowing that nothing good can come from it and you're only spreading hate (as this topic is!).

Regardless, many people say silly things every day. There is no reason to single this woman out. I have never said it out loud, but I too think that people who reside here should speak English or go back to where they came from. That's not the slightest bit racist because it would apply to me as well, living in a foreign country.

This has nothing to do with Trump. Liberals, news agencies and others seeking attention, simply seized on it to form another attack against him, when in fact he has deported far fewer illegals than any other president in recent history, and if 2000 more get deported today, that won't have changed.

Recognize what freedom of speech is and what it isn't, which is an excuse to attack someone when you disagree. By the same token, we could argue that the spanish speaking woman has the right to speak spanish, so both women were in the wrong but the difference is one of them (might have been) breaking the law while the other wasn't.

Instead of whining and insulting, try getting the laws changed if you don't like them. We all sometimes wish stupid people would just STFU, but it's not going to happen.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
If she is here illegally, she should be deported, or be considered for citizenship if there is a legitimate reason, even having children born here and residing for years, would constitute a legit reason to me.

If it is your (ignorant, based only on language spoken) opinion, and you're willing to risk getting an arse whipping, do exercise your freedom of speech, knowing that nothing good can come from it and you're only spreading hate (as this topic is!).

Regardless, many people say silly things every day. There is no reason to single this woman out. I have never said it out loud, but I too think that people who reside here should speak English or go back to where they came from. That's not the slightest bit racist because it would apply to me as well, living in a foreign country.

This has nothing to do with Trump. Liberals, news agencies and others seeking attention, simply seized on it to form another attack against him, when in fact he has deported far fewer illegals than any other president in recent history, and if 2000 more get deported today, that won't have changed.

Recognize what freedom of speech is and what it isn't, which is an excuse to attack someone when you disagree. By the same token, we could argue that the spanish speaking woman has the right to speak spanish, so both women were in the wrong but the difference is one of them (might have been) breaking the law while the other wasn't.

Instead of whining and insulting, try getting the laws changed if you don't like them. We all sometimes wish stupid people would just STFU, but it's not going to happen.

For all those, that skipped American history, and geography, in high school so they could blow the coach in the locker room showers.

Puerto Rico is an American territory. All persons born in Puerto Rico are American citizens. They have two nonvoting seats in the House of Representatives. They are unable to vote in presidential elections as long as they reside in Puerto Rico. However, should they choose to travel to the mainland, as many of them have since the disasters from the hurricanes, they can vote and have all the privileges of any other American citizen.

Personally, I'd love to see the island abandoned, and all of them immediately immigrate to Florida. Can you guess how they might vote?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

First, Puerto Ricans are natural born American citizens.

Second, why are you trying to restrict free speech by falsely claiming that it doesn't include the right to express disagreement or even ridicule? Just because someone exercises their right to free speech to say something stupid does not protect them from others exercising their own right to free speech by calling them stupid. It would seem that you're the one here who refuses to recognize what free speech is.

And it would also seem that this does have quite a bit to do with Trump, as he too is saying that natural born American citizens should be deported because he disagrees with their speech. And as President of the United States, his words carry the force and threat of the government. It's become the common argument of Trumpism, it would seem, for Trumpers to claim that others are robbing them of their right to free speech.. simply by speaking. What you should recognize is that that's the real attack on free speech today.

Because yes, we see how Trumpers are using their positions in government, from the White House on down, to try to change the laws in order to suppress speech they disagree with. People who don't speak exclusively English should be deported. Liberal or progressive speech is treasonous or 'un-American.' Private businesses should be forced to publish they disagree with. Free speech doesn't include the right for non-Trumpees to speak in disagreement to anything a Trumper says. It's easy to see who hates free speech in this country.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

Regardless, many people say silly things every day. There is no reason to single this woman out.

So what you're saying is: the OP is spreading hate, but the woman in the article who's telling another person to go back to their own country and baselessly accusing another person of criminality is not. That lady is just saying a silly thing and shouldn't be singled out for it, but the OP should be, and be prepared to be beaten the shit out of for it. The lady however should not.

Instead of whining and insulting

Unlike the lady in the OP article of course.

You sir are a hypocrite.

Reactions: Meghan54 and Vic

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
My thinking is that it matters at the voting booth. I think that we can get so overly PC that we push away good well meaning spirits come elections.

Yeah. We're too PC.

66768339_10218565478943795_8987748176786096128_n.jpg

Fuck. All. Of. That.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
The place is about 160 miles away from me. What a shame. I wish I could've been in that store, when she held up that five dollar bill, talking about "legal money", I would've said "I didn't know it was legal to toss blow jobs in the hardware department."

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
@mindless1 I find your basic ignorance in basic American geography marvelous.

Aren’t you concerned that your ignorance plays into the stereotype that flaming liberal intellectual elites have of conservatives? That they are unintelligent ignorant sheep who only believe what they do based on feels. How will you fight your mortal enemy if you arm him with your failures and lack of preparation?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
What happened before that video? It sounds like they are already into it.
She sound like a c*nt ... that being said... What constitutes a racist?

I mean, if I am pissed at you and want to pick a fight with you I am probably going to say whatever I think gets under your skin. If you look like a homophobe I will likely call you gay, if you have a prosthetic leg I might call you a one legged spastic asshat clogging up the line at the handicap toilet .. something .. in the heat of the moment I can, personally, get very creative about getting under my opponents skin.. that doesnt mean that as a calm civilian I dont have deep love for all people. Just two cents :).
Why did I come to this forum and read such stupidity. Is this how you get sucked into this sub forum?

Go around calling n word and gooks.

It's not edgy or cool that you'll say anything to get under someone's skin. To audience, you are just as racist. You'll roll eyes at a clone of you acting so stupid spewing slurs and bigotry to strangers.

Last edited:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Your user name is quite fitting.

Puerto Rico is a US territory and all Puerto Ricans are US citizens by birth.

This is the single stupidest post I've seen all day.

What the actual fuck were you doing in school?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Why did I come to this forum and read such stupidity. Is this how you get sucked into this sub forum?

Go around calling n word and gooks.

It's not edgy or cool that you'll say anything to get under someone's skin. To audience, you are just as racist. You'll roll eyes at a clone of you acting so stupid spewing slurs and bigotry to strangers.

*Actually* I am from a place on earth where race isnt a factor, thus I have never ever used racial slurs to someones face irl or not. I am simply trying to relate to people. That is all. We are all human beings, and thus fallible. That being said, I am told I have a super power, the power to get under anyones skin in minutes if I so desire. Maybe I am an ass? So be it. I try not to be. Can we do anything but to *try* in this life?

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

I guess they don't teach american history where you're from (moscow?) because if they did you would have known that all Porto Ricans are US citizens by birth. no ands, ifs or buts.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Agreed provided that they apologised; importantly though is the bit I emphasized in your post IMO. There's probably ten thousand apologies for every one that really meant what they said (as opposed to "sorry I got caught", which I'd put in the "coward" category).

I'd forgive Trump if he truly repented by trying to make amends for the rest of his life for what he's said and done. Someone with his history and position in society could do a lot of good.

Personally I think it's far too late for Trump. Not least because it's possible he has committed full-on criminal offenses.

But that's an interesting question that I often brood over - what are the limits of forgiveness and to what degree can people change themselves? It applies to more than 'racism' or the most heinous moral transgressions and crimes.

I also wonder about the question of moral responsibility vs determinism (I mean, given his upbringing, social context and start in life, did Trump have any real chance of becoming anything other than the personality-disordered disaster zone he is?)

Edit - I recently listened to a podcast about the children of despots, and it really struck me that while most of them were utter scumbags, its very hard to imagine there was any way they could have turned out differently. And even the few who were not total bastards you could see easily how that was because, for various reasons, their upbringing wasn't quite as damaging as those who were.

Edit2 - I mean, we don't really know the lived experience of other people, of what they've been through to make them how they are (whether violent criminals or Trump voters or Islamists), and on top of that we also don't know how far biology directly determines character, to what degree things like psychopathy are not a matter of choice. And yet we are dropped into this world and obliged to make moral judgements of people, constantly and unavoidably, but without sufficient information to do so reliably.

If there is a God, he's a bastard for doing that to us. He sets us up to fail.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I've thought and voiced to friends shitty thing about Eastern Indians. It stems from losing my job in 09 when our entire department was outsourced to India. A bunch of them showed up that we had to train to take over our jobs. I've have NEVER expressed any outward hostility to the same ethnicity. Its not hard when you have a semblance of morality.

To date I hold no ill will.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
First, Puerto Ricans are natural born American citizens.

Yeah, if anything the proper thing the racist woman should have said to the other is "make sure you're paying your Puerto Rican taxes because your corrupt and mismanaged deadbeat territory needs every cent to to pay its debts instead of defaulting."

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I think we should make the "official language" of the US Spanish.
It might be fun!