I have rash, itchy... Poison Ivy?

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
I got this two rashes and itchiness on both my knees and also about 3 inches below my left leg. It has been getting worse in the last couple of days. I don't know if its poison ivy. I looked at some pictures online of people with poison ivy and i don't have puss balls or the redness as much. I also have a similar small itch on my left shoulder.

I do play volleyball at the beach every monday and I remember going into the bushes to get the ball last week, maybe i got it then i don't know.

Anyone recommend something i could buy at the pharmacy to put on, to stop the itch and maybe get rid of it?

I could got to the dermatologist but that will take like two weeks for an appointment.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
1.0% Hydrocortisone should help the itch.

If it's an allergic reaction, you can also try some Benadryl.

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: MrChad

Thats what the product would be called or should i ask the pharmacist?

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Jnetty99

Cortizone-10 is a popular brand. There are usually generic versions available as well.

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Jnetty99

Cortizone-10 is a popular brand. There are usually generic versions available as well.

Cool, thanks.
I'll stop by and get some on the way home.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
If it is poison ivy/oak i highly recommend the hottest water you can stand to temporarily stop the itching.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Dermatologist would just look at it and say, "yep, it's a rash." Doesn't matter if it's from poison ivy, poison oak, or whatever. Instructions: wash it. Next time, if you recognize that you were just exposed, washing it with rubbing alcohol will usually remove the oils and save you from a rash. When you wash it, be careful that you don't simply spread it to other parts of your body. Soapy water will move the oils around.
Tip: wash your sneakers that you were wearing when you went into the poison ivy, so you don't accidentally reinfect yourself.

To deal with the itch and blisters, you can take an oral antihistamines (benadryl). You can treat the blisters with a variety of things: calamine lotion, baking soda, oatmeal, Burrows solution, kaolin, and probably a couple other things. The fluids from the blisters do not spread the poison ivy/oak/sumac (whatever you have.)

That'll be $10 please :p

incidentally, the cortizone might have done something during the first few days as it was continuing to worsen. But now, it'll probably have little effect. Here's a link:
here