I have good news for once

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
@Mayne suggestion for ya.
Maybe this would be a good time to do some charity work or volunteer somewhere.
Something basic, serve food to those who need it at some charity-I haven’t done this in a few years and I want to give the warning that many of the people you serve have problems expressing gratitude but once you realize that the service aspec is very comforting
Plant some flowers at a nearby church- get their permission first, get the flowers and show up to water them daily
Or even keep it super simple pick one day a week and go around picking up trash, I are you in Canada? I know Canada is well kept but there has to be some trash somewhere that needs picking up.
I have heard some nursing homes will have younger people by to play cards or even have lunch with some older folks who may not have family or friends that visit them, this could be awkward socially but if you are comfortable with the idea try it out.

I am not suggesting doing these activities full time, I say try something out that will take a few hours of service over a weeks time. Commit to doing it for months.

Reactions: skyking and Mayne

rmacd02

Nov 24, 2015
Congrats on your new place, Mayne.

I moved out of an infested apt. building nine years ago, left everything behind.

I still shudder at the thought of bed bugs. Happy to be bug free for the past nine years. I hope you enjoy your new place.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
Thanks everyone. The picture was painted by my nieces. Definitely a new chapter in my life :) I'll post some pictures of the rest of the place later on. My internet is complete garbage for now though.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Nice space. You should start camming for some extra money on the side; you have the setup for it! ;):eek:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Nice! Having a fire pit is great, nice to hang out around the fire and having a couple glasses of wine, or beers. My yard is kind of small for one but I sometimes to go my parents. They don't tend to make fires that often anymore though.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Nice! Having a fire pit is great, nice to hang out around the fire and having a couple glasses of wine, or beers. My yard is kind of small for one but I sometimes to go my parents. They don't tend to make fires that often anymore though.
Fire pits are illegal in Ontario...

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Fire pits are illegal in Ontario...

Depends where. My city allows it though they have strict rules, only allowed to use it between like 7pm and midnight and need to get a permit for it. Some places are more lenient.

Of course if there is a regional or provincial fire ban due to dry weather then that overrules everything. There was a year I went camping and there was a fire ban so that kind of sucked as we did all our cooking over the fire. We ended up bringing a coleman stove.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Fire pits are legal here...with a permit from the fire department and some restrictions about how it's constructed. The state has been under a mandatory burn ban for a couple of months though...so, of course, every moron who has an RV lot builds a campfire.
We had a bit of rain over night. Not much, just enough to dampen things...and make streaks in the dust on the windshield...so, of course, the idiots think that ends the burn ban.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
This is our firepit where we hangout
My cousins and I used to hang out around a fire pit. They're 10+ years older than me, so were always more successful than me....but would still buy Coors in the can (not light) and we'd sit around listening to 80's music and really old-school country music. (Like Waylon Jennings and Merle Haggard) It's awesome being outside around a fire.

You gotta get a small boom box for our there (or just open that window and play from your room)

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
My cousins and I used to hang out around a fire pit. They're 10+ years older than me, so were always more successful than me....but would still buy Coors in the can (not light) and we'd sit around listening to 80's music and really old-school country music. (Like Waylon Jennings and Merle Haggard) It's awesome being outside around a fire.

You gotta get a small boom box for our there (or just open that window and play from your room)
actually i just crank up the youtube in my bedroom and its good for outside...normally use a bluetooth speaker for the fire pit. :)

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
actually i just crank up the youtube in my bedroom and its good for outside...normally use a bluetooth speaker for the fire pit. :)
Fire, tunes, and family/friends is what it's about. The fire just serves as an excuse to sit around and do nothing. It's pretty perfect.
IMG_20210828_202902483.jpg