I have DVI Cable, still do i need hdmi cable ?

kudilkrishna

Jan 19, 2010
Hi friends,

I have bought benq 2420 hd monitor, it has dvi port and my graphics card HD 4350 has dvi and also hdmi port. currently i am using dvi to dvi, should i purchase dvi to hdmi connector, will that help in giving better quality ?

kindly suggest

thanks

Last edited:

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Hi friends,

I have bought benq 2420 hd monitor, it has dvi port and my graphics card HD 4350 has dvi and also hdmi port. currently i am using dvi to dvi, should i purchase dvi to hdmi connector, will that help in giving better quality ?

kindly suggest

thanks

HDMI = DVI + Audio

So no, there is no better quality associated with HDMI.

thevan

Aug 19, 2009
Hijacking the thread here...

I'm using VGA on my 24" Dell. Is there a noticeable difference between DVI and VGA, IE., is it worth purchasing a DVI cable for $10 or so?

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
thevan,

In my experience, DVI makes things less blurry on LCD's at higher resolution. Usually once you get about 1600x900 or higher you can start noticing a difference between DVI and VGA, but it really depends on the video card. My work Laptop using VGA is horrible at pretty much anything over 1280x900 mode (or whatever mode it is)

Using my moms 1920x1080 resolution with VGA is pretty good but not as sharp as my 1920x1200 with DVI.

And as PurdueRy mentioned. HDMI is basically a new interface (plug design) for DVI which includes audio channels, but the technology is the same. THe only thing to gain by HDMI is to use any integrated speakers in the monitor without having a separate cord going from the computer to the monitor for audio.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
thevan, I think it's worth the $10 especially on a quality monitor.

thevan

Aug 19, 2009
Thanks guys! I'll have to see what they have at the local pawn shop. Might just go for HDMI as it seems to be more future-friendly.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I'm using VGA on my 24" Dell. Is there a noticeable difference between DVI and VGA, IE., is it worth purchasing a DVI cable for $10 or so?

It almost always is. I say "almost" because I've seen one instance where an LCD monitor with only VGA input had better picture quality than a monitor that had both DVI and VGA input - regardless of the input used on the lesser quality monitor.

thevan

Aug 19, 2009
It almost always is. I say "almost" because I've seen one instance where an LCD monitor with only VGA input had better picture quality than a monitor that had both DVI and VGA input - regardless of the input used on the lesser quality monitor.

Should I be "calibrating" it or anything? ATI graphics..