I have cold boot issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
ty so much

tonight im going to try to change the epu2013 option, and restart on the next cold boot

question: should i turn off XMP profile for the ram(which i beleive automatically sets it to max speeds) or should i set everything manual, ex: 1866mhz and the timings as well

Screw XMP, I don't trust it. Set everything manual. Voltage, timings, speed all manual. There is a huge list of timing options in BIOS for the ram. Only concern yourself with the 5 that I listed as far as timings go. Leave the others below set to auto.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
this is the thing man, various people are hinting at the obvious fact, but you want me to go get 10 google links to prove something to you in which i gain nothing, just google it for yourself man, trying to discredit my argument to make yours valid is not a good way to philosophize the proof is out there if you just click www.google.com and search it

I did google it, sure I found plenty of sites saying sleep mode was useful because it can take upwards of 2 minutes to boot a cold system which doesn't apply to me ( I can be up an running with a fully responsive system in roughly 30 seconds with a SSD. Every other site I found said shutting down properly is better if you are leaving the laptop off for a while.

As for your post, a few more points.

* you have made nothing obvious

* I don't want 10 google links, 1 from a reputable source would more than suffice

* If you think backing up your claims with proof is pointless and "gains you nothing" that is a pretty poor attitude. Posting "facts" without proof will get you called out pretty quickly trust me. By the way helping you fix your problems "gains us nothing" but you seem to be getting plenty of help and suggestions I suggest you adjust your attitude.

* I am not discrediting your arguement to make mine valid, you are claiming something, I am asking for proof. As far as I am aware shutting a laptop down is the standard procedure followed by most people, sure if I was constantly switching a machine on and off I might use sleep but I would rather just leave it turned on in the first place.

Last edited:

Macgruber

Dec 17, 2005
If the ram causes issues at rated speed, just make sure the timings are set to spec and make sure that it isn't 1t but set to 2t. So it should be something like 9-9-9-24 2. Often times setting that 5th number to 1 will cause instability.

ty so much

tonight im going to try to change the epu2013 option, and restart on the next cold boot

question: should i turn off XMP profile for the ram(which i beleive automatically sets it to max speeds) or should i set everything manual, ex: 1866mhz and the timings as well

Last edited by a moderator:

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
i guess turning your car off at EVERY stop sign will save you gas too ? ROFL

You claimed you never turn your laptop off so the phrase "I guess turning your car off every night won't save you gas too?" seems to fit so much better than what you wrote.

P.s You have now been reported for personal abuse which is prohibited on these forums, your attitude stinks (looking back on your previous posts only makes this more obvious) and please refrain from sending me any more PMs.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
My prius shuts of the ICE (internal combustion engine) every time I stop or lift my foot off the gas to coast because it saves gas.

I wasn't even going to get into that part of the conversation, but yes you are correct. My wifes toyota auris does exactly the same thing and so do VWs, audis, BMWs, fords, volvos, fiats.... the list goes on.

Once again a car analogy falls flat on its face.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
I don't want to hear another thing about sleep mode and wear & tear. This thread is about fixing Macgruber's cold boot problem, so please stick to that

-ViRGE