I have been deprived....

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
So I had Mass Effect 1+2 for a while but I never really got the time to play them through. I started playing Mass Effect 1 but I stopped before I even reached the beacon and put it away for a long time. Last week I pulled it out again to play through it because of the positive reviews it got.

Wow, what a game. I was thoroughly impressed with ME1 so I immediately started ME2. ME2 turned out to be even better than the first! I can't believe I didn't play these games before! If anyone else on these boards hasn't played through these games I highly recommend them.

bentheman939

Mar 5, 2008
Really? I made it about 1/10th of the way through the first, and stopped due to boredom. They actually good? I HATED dragon age, thought it was a series of cliches stung together with shitty graphics, are they similar?

polypterus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2001
I bought ME for $5 but never started it. I did finally get around to playing Fallout 3 last month and it was pretty good. I told myself ME was next but still haven't gotten around to it. Glad to see I'm not the only one three years behind. :)

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
It tooks me a number of times to actually get past the beacon/citadel in the first game, but once I did I really enjoyed the game. The 2nd one was a huge let down IMO.

RisenZealot

Jun 8, 2011
I love them. To be honest Mass Effect 1 and 2 are what I usually consider my favorite video games of all time. That is saying a ton for me. I started with Doom on the PC and Super Street Fighter 2 in the arcades and the SNES, through it all though Mass Effect stands head and shoulders above!

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
I loved both games (last hour of ME1 is unforgettable)

Nobody should miss this series!

Really? I made it about 1/10th of the way through the first, and stopped due to boredom. They actually good? I HATED dragon age, thought it was a series of cliches stung together with shitty graphics, are they similar?

ME has nothing to do with DA. You can hate one and love the other.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
yeah, the series is great.

I played both back-to-back, and for a very short time ME2 turned me off because of the simplification of many aspects. That didn't last long though, and I really started to appreciate ME2 for what it is: a hell of a lot of fun.

I just got a new PC and I'm thinking about re-downloading both to play again.

smartpatrol

Mar 8, 2006
ME1 is great. You just need to get past the Citadel, and then you will be hooked.

I really don't know why they structured the game the way they did. You have a relatively brief mission in the beginning, then you spend what feels like HOURS on the Citadel running around, talking to people, and racking up a gigantic list of sidequests.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
Yea they are that good. The key to Mass Effect is to get through 30-45 minutes. Once I got into the Citadel I was hooked.

I actually welcomed the simplification of the items/upgrades system in Mass Effect 2. in Mass Effect 1 I would have duplicates and my inventory would be packed all the time.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
It took me a few attempts to enjoy it as well. My first attempt, I got to the citadel, but I was thoroughly lost after that. I couldn't find my way around, and eventually I gave up. My second attempt was pretty similar, and I didn't actually enjoy it until my third. I paid much more attention as to how to get around the citadel, and the game really picks up the moment you're able to control your own ship.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I bought ME for $5 but never started it. I did finally get around to playing Fallout 3 last month and it was pretty good. I told myself ME was next but still haven't gotten around to it. Glad to see I'm not the only one three years behind. :)

ME is 5, maybe 6 years old.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I have only played 1 so far and agree it is an awesome game. Still have to get 2, but have such a backlog of games to play right now.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Got ME1 for $5 from Steam and started playing it a month or so ago. I thought it was really well done and a great game overall. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Great games, to be sure. I've spent dozens of hours playing them. BioWare did an excellent job crafting the sci-fi setting of Mass Effect.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I bought ME 3 years ago or so and barely played it. I had to remove it due to low hard drive space but I can put it back now.

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
If you liked ME series, you might also like EVE online. I tried EVE two days ago and fell in love with it. Though it's a very difficult and time comsuming game, definitely not for everyone's tastes. Btw, ME3 should be great with ME1-ME2 save game. Don't lose your save games if you're playing ME1,2!

redraider79416

Jun 27, 2011
I'm the same way, bought them both, played a few hours of 1, and never got back into it, which i will start doing! Bought both off of steam..... does your stats and info from 1 transfer over to 2 automatically on steam?

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
ME is probably my favorite game series. I've played through both games multiple times and even read the books.