I have an external hard drive I can not resize

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I have a 1.5 tb ext hd that has two partitions, one a windows and one a mac and I have tried rezizing each and the options are grayed out in disk management and I tried in Mini Tool Partition Wizard

Feb 25, 2011
Run disk utility and repair/defrag both partitions. Can't resize if there's stuff in the way.

Also, resizing HFS+ partitions is a specialty thing - I don't think Disk Management can do it. Might have to use the Boot Camp software on a Mac.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I need to do this in windows 7 and windows doesnt allow me to select resize
partition.jpg

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Oh I thought that was a mac app. I burn that and boot from the disk and can do it? Similar to an ultimate boot cd
I have?

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Oh I thought that was a mac app. I burn that and boot from the disk and can do it? Similar to an ultimate boot cd
I have?

Absolutely correct. Also, looking at your screenshot, you have an exFAT partition (not really Mac) instead of a Mac HFS+ partition. That makes it easier because you don't have to worry about the journal being corrupted.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It resized my smaller partition, I attempted to work with the large partition and it said I needed a package called htfsprog or something similar. How would I go about installing that?

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
It resized my smaller partition, I attempted to work with the large partition and it said I needed a package called htfsprog or something similar. How would I go about installing that?

ntfsprogs maybe? I though the Live CD came with that package.

Anyway, now that you have some unallocated space on the disk, you should be able to resize the NTFS partition from within Windows. If not, let me know and I'll walk you through something more advanced.