I have all the parts now...

ctbook

Jan 3, 2004
so is there a good guide to assembling them? Are there watchouts regarding assembly? I know static is a hazard, but is there basic stuff I might be able to brush up on?

Thanks,

cb

edit: Anyone?

wetcat007

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2002
Don't be too conserned about static just dont rub ur feet on the carpeting or baloons and if u think ur holding a charge touch something metal that's grounded. Uh to assemble, basically put the PSU in, then ther motherboard, the the drives, then the pci/agp cards and a memory, and you can put the cpu/hsf on whenever u see fit i guess?

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Use some nice high quality screwdrivers to avoid slipping--at the very least, you'll need a #1 and a #2 Phillips. Some jeweler's screwdrivers and small needle-nose pliars will come in handy for some heat sink clips. A good flashlight is useful too.

Make sure your motherboard is supported everywhere it's supposed to be, but don't add extra stand-offs where there are no screw holes, or you'll short out the motherboard.

After you're doubly certain your CPU heatsink is on straight and securely clipped, check it again. Look carefully at the clips. If it doesn't look right it's not! Un-clip it and try again. (Both sides should look the same, and all tabs, holes, slots, etc., should line-up fully.)

And finally, no matter how tempting, don't try to "test" your MB/CPU before you install the heat sink. (You know how hot a 60 watt light bulb becomes after just a few seconds, right? Well, CPUs these days can draw 60 or more watts, so that giant heat sink is not optional.)

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: ctbook
non-magnetic, I presume.
Yes, for the sake of the hard drives. A magnetic tip can make the MB and PSU installation go more smoothly, but definitely keep it away from the drives.