Question I have a Cisco 48 port router I want to use at home

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
This one

Is the "input from the router" the MGMT base t port at the upper right ? I hope this was not a stupid buy, but a 24 port router (I need 20) was $87, and this one is $65.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
What you have there is a switch, not a router. (To add to this before someone skewers me - It's possible this switch has some L3 capabilities depending on the OS license installed on it but it is not appropriate for use as a consumer router).

And no, the MGMT port is not ethernet at all. It's a serial port for console management. This is a managed switch (a very, very old one) that you need to configure from a command line.

If all you need is a switch IMO you would be better suited with a much more modern web managed switch. While true network guys would prefer the command line a web managed switch would be a lot more approachable for someone like you who (to my knowledge at least, and as evidenced by this thread) doesn't have a background in this kind of stuff. It would also have the advantage of drawing a tiny fraction of the power that this will.

If you want to continue with this then you're going to need one of these:

AmazonSmile: Tripp Lite USB to RJ45 Cisco Serial Roll over Cable USB Type A RJ45 M/M 6 ft (U209-006-RJ45-X),Black: Computers & Accessories

I'm sure there are people who here who can help you with this, it's likely capable of doing what you need (since you talk about connecting a router I suspect you actually do want a switch, which this is).

Viper GTS

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
What you have there is a switch, not a router.

And no, the MGMT port is not ethernet at all. It's a serial port for console management. This is a managed switch (a very, very old one) that you need to configure from a command line.

If all you need is a switch IMO you would be better suited with a much more modern web managed switch. While true network guys would prefer the command line a web managed switch would be a lot more approachable for someone like you who (to my knowledge at least, and as evidenced by this thread) doesn't have a background in this kind of stuff. It would also have the advantage of drawing a tiny fraction of the power that this will.

Viper GTS
II know its not a router. I have a WIFI router (well it will be here tomorrow) and I simply want to use this managed switch as a dumb switch, but I need to know where the cable from the router plugs in. Or is that the "managed" part of it ? First the dumb stitches has a specific port to plug into. Later ones were "smart" and any port could be used for input. Is this the latter ? or is it non-functional until configured ?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Unless you happen to know it was shipped with a configuration that would allow it to be used as an unmanaged switch you should assume that it will be non-functional until configured. You will definitely want to get a console cable if you weren't given one with the purchase so that you can review its configuration as it shipped and make changes as needed.

There is some good news - This won't be a complicated configuration. Most likely just dumping every port into a single VLAN and then running a patch cable from any LAN side port on your consumer router to any port on this would be sufficient.

Viper GTS

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Unless you happen to know it was shipped with a configuration that would allow it to be used as an unmanaged switch you should assume that it will be non-functional until configured. You will definitely want to get a console cable if you weren't given one with the purchase so that you can review its configuration as it shipped and make changes as needed.

There is some good news - This won't be a complicated configuration. Most likely just dumping every port into a single VLAN and then running a patch cable from any LAN side port on your consumer router to any port on this would be sufficient.

Viper GTS
Is this the console cable ?

and how would I configure it as you suggest ? I looked at the instructions, and the "light bulb is not coming on" in my head. Just a list of the instructions once I am connected to the console would be great !

And thanks in advance for helping to educate a dummy (who thought he knew something about networking until now)

Edit: The last 3 pages of the manual appear to be where you configure the router in the linked documentation (it says 1-6,1-7 and 1-8, but I see that higher up)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Yes, that console cable is likely fine as well. I trust Tripp-Lite more than random brands, but odds are it will be just fine.

I don't deal with Catalyst switches much but according to this if they are reset they will operate with all ports in VLAN 1 which would effectively give you what you want:

cisco - How do I set up a Catalyst 2960 as a dumb switch? - Network Engineering Stack Exchange

Any idea if the seller reset it before sending it to you? There's not much harm in hooking it up and seeing if it works, worst case you order a console cable and reset it and you'd probably be fine.

Viper GTS

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Does this look like what the script should be ?
aaa new-model
aaa authentication login default local
aaa authorization exec default local
ip http server
ip http authentication local
line con 0
login authentication default
logging synchronous
line vty 0 15
login authentication default
logging synchronous
ip domain-name
ip domain-lookup
ip name-server [markfw-lan]
clock timezone [pst] [8]
ntp server 192.168.2.1
service timestamps log datetime localtime show-timezone
username [markfw] privilege 15 password [******]
ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1
interface Vlan1
ip address [192.168.1.254] [192.168.1.255]
no shut
int range FastEthernet0/1 - [20]
switchport mode access
no shut
exit
exit
wr

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
There's a number of things in there that are likely to not be correct and some that are definitely not correct.

Do you have a console cable or do you need to order one?

Also, have you tried connecting devices to it to see what happens? They may have been nice and shipped it to you with a default configuration and it may just work for you.

Viper GTS

Markfw

May 16, 2002
There's a number of things in there that are likely to not be correct and some that are definitely not correct.

Do you have a console cable or do you need to order one?

Also, have you tried connecting devices to it to see what happens? They may have been nice and shipped it to you with a default configuration and it may just work for you.

Viper GTS
Console cable coming Monday. Have not tried it yet, trying to get rid of all the cables that are not used over the years.... If you know of whats probably wrong, please reply.

And again, thanks for dealing with a networking newbie.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
As a first step I'd say try it as-is. If it doesn't just work then you'll need to get into it and see what's going on. I think doing a reset on it is probably the easiest way to get to a working configuration:

Reset a Cisco 2960 Switch To Factory Default Settings | NotTheNetwork.me

Once it comes back walk through the basic configuration setup process and I suspect you'll have a config that does what you want at the end.

if you can't get it working I can help via zoom.

Viper GTS

Markfw

May 16, 2002
As a first step I'd say try it as-is. If it doesn't just work then you'll need to get into it and see what's going on. I think doing a reset on it is probably the easiest way to get to a working configuration:

Reset a Cisco 2960 Switch To Factory Default Settings | NotTheNetwork.me

Once it comes back walk through the basic configuration setup process and I suspect you'll have a config that does what you want at the end.

if you can't get it working I can help via zoom.

Viper GTS
Thanks a Bunch ! First thing I need is for all my other parts to show up. After 30 years, this network needs a total rebuild. Its all coming any time now. So by tomorrow, I may be able to tell something.

I really appreciate you help, I can't say that enough. Usually I am the one providing assistance.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, very early results.... I plugged ONE computer into the switch, and to what I thought was the bad line under the house. Its working. I will work on the rest of the config tomorrow, too tired tonight.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, it is hard to say without the proper cable to connect to the switch since you really have no insight into it's current config. For all you know, every port could be it's own VLAN, or every port could be locked down with port security such that it only will accept the proper MAC address connecting to that port and if it detects the wrong address, the port gets locked and needs to be unlocked via the administrator over the command line.

I will say that is an older switch. We still use them in some places, but only for management networks (i.e. servers, disk arrays/controllers, and other network switches with network management cards/ports to some of these switches). That said, it isn't a bad switch to have at home, especially if you are wanting to learn more about CISCO gear. It should be fine for a gigabit network, but it won't be more capable than that. But that said, there are other options now which will use a lot less power, run cooler and quieter, or for the same power draw be much more capable with 10GbE and/or 40GbE capabilities.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Im lost in why he can't just putty into it and needs a console cable.
Is he locked out of root?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I have been using it for 3 days. It seems that only the top rows work, but 24 is more than enough. Some of the ports are blown on the switch above it.
1613968720749.jpeg

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Im lost in why he can't just putty into it and needs a console cable.
Is he locked out of root?
He would need to know the IP and username/password that was left in place on the device. With the console cable, you can reset things and/or bypass them since it believes you are physically on the device (as that is how they setup the security).

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
It seems that only the top rows work, but 24 is more than enough. Some of the ports are blown on the switch above it.

Mark no i think it has vlan setup, so the ports on top are on a different vlan.

He would need to know the IP and username/password that was left in place on the device.

So he is locked out of root, and doesn't know the IP.

@Markfw
Mark honestly shelf it or toss it out.
Seems with your level of knowledge and requirements a non managed dummy switch is probably something which will give you a lot less stress about.
You just don't need nor should have to stress about it.

I assume you don't need 48 ports... i would think 16 port would be enough.

Netgear is pretty much standard in my book if i need a switch.

I also like ZyXel brands for cheap stuff, i find them better then Trendnet, a league higher then TPlink.

Something like that which is similar in price would probably be my first recommendation, and it will also be a lot quieter.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Several points... Some of the ports on the switch above the Cisco in that picture are burned out by the short that must be in the wiring under the house. Before I tried everything, I had no idea how many ports worked. The Cisco at $65 was cheaper than the $70 24 port switch I ordered and returned to Amazon. I NEED 24 ports. As you see, the entire network is up, but the cables are too short for most of the 24 port wires. (as you can also see.

I have the cable for the console cable. When I get time I am going to play with it. More knowledge is a good thing. And noise ? being a deaf person, the only thing loud enough was my big water cooled tower that I tried to sell. I don't know where the noise is coming from on that, so it sits out in my shed.