I hate Vista's Start Menu

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
I hate it. It's just so NOT intuitive. XP's was truly genius compared to this.

In XP, to Restart the computer, you just went to Shutdown and then you got to choose, it would take a fractions of a second. In Vista, have to click on this tiny menu key in the start bar and then choose from among six items. Bigger buttons before were better.

The Account folder is on the start menu. Why? It's nice that they have all these organized folders, but most of them are for system use. And you can't even remove the folder from the start menu without going back to the start menu from before XP.

The All programs has to fit into this small window that you have to scroll through if it gets too big. Sometimes the name is way too big on the file and it's cut off. Then to access the programs, you have to click on the folder. It's cumbersome and takes forever in comparison to XP. And then the folder stays open so you have to close it every time unless you want your programs list to grow wild.

The start menu pisses me off so much it almost makes me want to go back to XP. I'm actually still thinking about reasons to stay with Vista. The more I play with Vista the more I feel that the updates to Windows could have been provided via a simple update to XP. Half the things in Vista are more convenient and half are a step backwards.

Oh, :| ...and I hate the new folder icons.

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
In XP, to Restart the computer, you just went to Shutdown and then you got to choose, it would take a fractions of a second. In Vista, have to click on this tiny menu key in the start bar and then choose from among six items. Bigger buttons before were better
Just click the giant power button. It puts the machine to sleep by default, which is fine, but you can also customize it. Go to power options in control panel, change the plan settings for your current power plan, advanced power settings, power buttons and lid, power button action: shut down.

If you want to restart, then you do have to use the flyout menu, but the most common thing people want to do is turn off or sleep their machine. Big fat button for that.

The Account folder is on the start menu. Why?
You mean the folder with your user name? I use that thing all the time, it's a shortcut to your profile. Since not all of the profile directories are on the start menu, and you can't add certain profile directories (grumble), clicking your name is an easy way to get there.

It's nice that they have all these organized folders, but most of them are for system use
They are? Music, pictures, downloads, videos, etc? Those are for system use? Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

The All programs has to fit into this small window that you have to scroll through if it gets too big.
*Shrug* Almost never use that menu. I just hit the windows key and start typing. It's dramatically faster than XP for me.

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
You can also change the default action of the power button from hibernate/sleep to shut down. Modify your power profiles.

Pwnbroker

Feb 9, 2007
I don't know about the start menu, but the control panel has the option of using classic windows styling. Surely the start menu has that option too.