I hate trying to find a job

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
It's such a blow to your self-esteem when a recruiter calls and asks if you have such and such skills and you don't. They then sound all apologetic and you can tell they want to get off the phone as quick as possible because you're just wasting their time.

IF I HAD FREAKIN SUCH AND SUCH SKILLS DON'T YOU THINK I'D LIST IT ON THE RESUME THATS IN FRONT OF YOU!?!?! Why don't you get your freakin head out of your ass and learn to read you idiot! I'm sorry my life is such a waste of your time. Maybe if you actually read the resume instead of asking me to re-iterate everything that's on it you'd have saved the 15 minutes of your pathetic life you wasted with me!

That's all, rant semi-over. I feel a little better now...

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Recruiters are sycophants feeding off those with real ability. Do not let them get to you. Treat your interactions with a recruiter no different than you would a used car salesman.

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: AmigaMan
It's such a blow to your self-esteem when a recruiter calls and asks if you have such and such skills and you don't. They then sound all apologetic and you can tell they want to get off the phone as quick as possible because you're just wasting their time.

IF I HAD FREAKIN SUCH AND SUCH SKILLS DON'T YOU THINK I'D LIST IT ON THE RESUME THATS IN FRONT OF YOU!?!?! Why don't you get your freakin head out of your ass and learn to read you idiot! I'm sorry my life is such a waste of your time. Maybe if you actually read the resume instead of asking me to re-iterate everything that's on it you'd have saved the 15 minutes of your pathetic life you wasted with me!

That's all, rant semi-over. I feel a little better now...

That's totally normal. You might not have HTML experience, but you can do a hellow world page. That's why they ask. Then they can tell the potential employer that you don't know much about it but have played with it in your spare time.

They are trying to help you. You etting job is how they make money.

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Descartes
Recruiters are sycophants feeding off those with real ability. Do not let them get to you. Treat your interactions with a recruiter no different than you would a used car salesman.

Wow, you people must really want ot find a job really bad.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: IHateMyJob2004

I am self-employed, and I have zero troubles finding contracts.

My description of recruiters is accurate, and anyone in the industry long enough will understand this. One can't really admonish them, because they do serve a valid function; however, it's a symbiotic relationship that I believe too many technical people fail to realize.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

It's not that, but the attitude that a lot of recruiters have. They're condescending towards the people that are looking for jobs. They have an air of superiority because they feel like they're in control. Which they are, but geez do you have to shove it down our throats like that? I mean we're people too, how would they like it if we treated them like that? I do comfort myself in that I'll probably make more money than them (although I really don't know for sure). It's nice to think that way so I don't feel too badly about how they treated me.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

It's not that, but the attitude that a lot of recruiters have. They're condescending towards the people that are looking for jobs. They have an air of superiority because they feel like they're in control. Which they are, but geez do you have to shove it down our throats like that? I mean we're people too, how would they like it if we treated them like that? I do comfort myself in that I'll probably make more money than them (although I really don't know for sure). It's nice to think that way so I don't feel too badly about how they treated me.

Just remember: They only want you if you can make money for them. Treat everyone with respect of course, but understand that they want to use you as much as you do them. Too many technical people approach them with a callow attitude: "Can you please find me a job?" No. "I'm offering my abilities for you to market to your clients."

IMO

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999

Thats a very accurate description and good advice too. They are slimey salesppl, that don't care if you are a good fit for the job. They just want the commission. I guess that they are a necessary evil though.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I feel for you, interviewed for a job earlier this week, 2 condidates, the other was internal, I suspect I won't or didn't get the job:(

I'd like to know for sure, cuz I'd prefer to work where I applied, but would commit to another if I knew what the decision was/is.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
ugh, I just got an email from a company I applied for yesterday. It was a questionaire and they asked some serious Java/J2EE development questions that I'm not sure i got right or not. I had to look up a couple so I'm not sure if that's considered cheating. Anyone interested in a couple of the questions?

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
ugh, I just got an email from a company I applied for yesterday. It was a questionaire and they asked some serious Java/J2EE development questions that I'm not sure i got right or not. I had to look up a couple so I'm not sure if that's considered cheating. Anyone interested in a couple of the questions?

A few years ago I was interviewing a lot of developers for a large project, and one of the things I had given them was a code evaluation; they had to implement a solution to a faux problem and provide me with the results. In addition, I had a list of questions they had to answer. One guy answered a COM-related question by regurgitating material written by Don Box, and since I happened to know his writing style so well I called him on it. Another guy copied another book verbatim, and he had forgotten to remove the "See Figure 1" text that is often used by authors to describe a problem. I couldn't believe the stupidity...

All that said, I don't think it's a problem, but just make sure you don't plagiarize.

Good luck!

[edit]I thought I'd add a few things. Just be honest! If you pretend to know something you don't they will notice. Nothing is worse than intellectual dishonesty. Nothing wrong with looking up a few specifics, but don't outright lie, because if they ask you to expound on anything while in an interview they're going to find out very quickly.[/edit]

AgentEL

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001

Unless you have absolutely zero experience with Java/J2EE, I wouldn't consider it cheating. No one can expect someone to memorize the complete in's and out's of a language.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Most recruiters will call you based on a couple of checkboxes being filled within their skills grid matching.

Problem is that many do not read your resume when trying to match to a client requestioni.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Heres a couple of the tough questions:
1. How can 1 + 0 equal both 0 and 1 at the same time? (There is a one word answer, but you are welcome to provide the mathematical proof :)
I said quantum mechanics and that I really didn't know.

2. What is AOP and how does it relate to OO?
I explained what the acronym means and how it can override certain OO principles like data encapsulation.

3. Name two significant differences between a 2.4 web.xml file and a 2.3 web.xml file.
I had no clue. Even after googling it.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

A few years ago I was interviewing a lot of developers for a large project, and one of the things I had given them was a code evaluation; they had to implement a solution to a faux problem and provide me with the results. In addition, I had a list of questions they had to answer. One guy answered a COM-related question by regurgitating material written by Don Box, and since I happened to know his writing style so well I called him on it. Another guy copied another book verbatim, and he had forgotten to remove the "See Figure 1" text that is often used by authors to describe a problem. I couldn't believe the stupidity...

All that said, I don't think it's a problem, but just make sure you don't plagiarize.

Good luck!

[edit]I thought I'd add a few things. Just be honest! If you pretend to know something you don't they will notice. Nothing is worse than intellectual dishonesty. Nothing wrong with looking up a few specifics, but don't outright lie, because if they ask you to expound on anything while in an interview they're going to find out very quickly.[/edit]

I totally agree with the honesty bit. I suck at real life interviews but if it's one thing they will pick up on is my honesty. I think I'll be ok with most of my answers. I had to look up a couple to refresh my memory, but the answers I gave were my own.

AgentEL

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001
1. How can 1 + 0 equal both 0 and 1 at the same time? (There is a one word answer, but you are welcome to provide the mathematical proof :)

One's-complement. (Does that count as one word?)

edit: more explanation:

-0 + 1 = 1111 1111 + 0000 0001 = 0000 0000 = +0
+0 + 1 = 0000 0000 + 0000 0001 = 0000 0001 = 1

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: AgentEL

One's-complement. (Does that count as one word?)

edit: more explanation:

-0 + 1 = 1111 1111 + 0000 0001 = 0000 0000 = +0
+0 + 1 = 0000 0000 + 0000 0001 = 0000 0001 = 1

DOH! I should have known that. Stupid bitwise operators. I never could get the hang of them.