I hate Steam.

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Irish

Mar 6, 2009
Originally posted by: makoto00
i LOVE steam. my only gripe is that i can't resell games after playing them, but PC games resell poorly anyway. super simple awesomeness. steam downloads as fast as my download stream will go.

Wonder why that is.

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
Originally posted by: gorcorps
My downloads are normally around 200kbps, so it sounds like it's you. But of course keep blaming steam all you want if it makes you feel better. Maybe next time you'll go out and buy the disc so you won't have to download the whole fucking game in one shot.

No sympathy, it's your fault any way you look at it.

200kbps = 200 kilobits per second = horribly slow
200 kb/s = 200 kilobytes per second = decently fast

Learn the difference.

This is NOT correct.
kbps = kb/s
kBps = kB/s

Add on top of this the confusion about kilo vs. kibi and basically no one uses the right units, even in marketing their own services.

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000
For me the auto-update feature and the fact that I can buy and play a new game without having to leave my house settles it for me.

Nov 30, 2008
Originally posted by: Trevelyan
For me the auto-update feature and the fact that I can buy and play a new game without having to leave my house settles it for me.

i hope your not one of those that has to go to weather.com to see what its currently like outside your house lol.
sun is good, driving can be relaxing if your in no hurry and lazyness should be a biblical sin.
thanks to steam, all future gamers will be obese rather than some.

NoWhereM

Oct 15, 2007
Originally posted by: 4537256

i hope your not one of those that has to go to weather.com to see what its currently like outside your house lol.
sun is good, driving can be relaxing if your in no hurry and lazyness should be a biblical sin.

I hope so to. Why would anyone go to that much trouble when you can usually set your home page to tell you what the weather is like outside your house?

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004

Pretty sure that lazyness is a biblical sin (Sloth), but thanks for playing.

Anytime that I have used Steam it has been a pretty easy experience. The one time that I forgot to back up my Steam folder (stupid, stupid, stupid) I had to redownload/install 18GB worth of stuff (entire orange box, plus all the half life 1 stuff, and a couple of others) but that didn't take too long. I have a 5Mb/s connection at my house, so all those downloads were done by the next morning (I started them before going to sleep obviously).

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Originally posted by: Gothgar
I think there is a very small minority that "hate" steam, it is probably user error

Yeah, fuck rights. Not wanting to give away rights and control is user error.

*those* people who blindly love and support steam ... they are the ones that are so like sheep
--everyone not in their flock MUST suffer from user error

My hat is off to Gabe if he is the con artist that can inspire religious devotion from fans .. for nothing special
--Steam is a vapor; and like a vapor it will evaporate and be gone someday

Your faith is sorely misplaced

rose.gif

You know what? Many people are too busy playing great games on Steam to care. Getting all upset about the points you're brining up sounds like needlessly getting worked up about something. Besides, if you're concerned about rights, be thankful you're not living in Iran or China.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005

What if the closest gamestop is 50 miles away? What if their PC selection is garbage? Burning all that gas just to find that the only game they have is Sims 3 Toilet seems pretty wasteful, and waste is worse than sloth.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: nerp
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Originally posted by: Gothgar
I think there is a very small minority that "hate" steam, it is probably user error

Yeah, fuck rights. Not wanting to give away rights and control is user error.

*those* people who blindly love and support steam ... they are the ones that are so like sheep
--everyone not in their flock MUST suffer from user error

My hat is off to Gabe if he is the con artist that can inspire religious devotion from fans .. for nothing special
--Steam is a vapor; and like a vapor it will evaporate and be gone someday

Your faith is sorely misplaced

rose.gif

You know what? Many people are too busy playing great games on Steam to care. Getting all upset about the points you're brining up sounds like needlessly getting worked up about something. Besides, if you're concerned about rights, be thankful you're not living in Iran or China.
You must not be playing any great games on Steam if you bumped this thread to reply to an OLD post of mine
:roll:

Be thankful i am not ALSO getting MORE screwed?
- that makes NO sense :p

No worries - i boycott Steam as much as i possibly can and life is good
rose.gif

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Ive been using Steam since its onset.
I've purchased many games, and dloaded many demos via Steam.
I have reformatted MANY times since I've been using Steam.
Never once, not a single time, have I had a single complaint.

lifeobry

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2008
lately it has been saying the servers are too busy and to try again in a bit. otherwise, no complaints

Oct 27, 2007
Well once again I was stupid enough to buy a game, F.E.A.R.2 from Steam. No technical issues and download speeds were acceptable but not great. Today I decide to grab the DLC while it's still on sale, and I can't play F.E.A.R.2 until the fucking DLC downloads. This is ridiculous. Fuck Steam, just fuck it.

Edit - awesome, the download just jumped from 8% to 0%.

Zensal

Jan 18, 2005
Have you ever considered it might be your location? I lived in a large city and got amazing speeds, but when I moved to a rural town, things slowed down, especially during peak hours.

Maybe your ISP can't lay enough underwater pipes to wherever things go from New Zealand.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I purchased the Fear 2 DLC two days ago because it was cheap, but I'm still downloading the fucking thing because Steam's transfer rates are pathetic (I did stop overnight however). It?s not my connection because I?ve plenty of spare bandwidth for background browsing. I also get far higher transfer rates with GoG.com.

If I had the CD version I would have already finished the DLC. Hooray for Steam being ?better? than local content. :roll:

Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Zensal
Have you ever considered it might be your location? I lived in a large city and got amazing speeds, but when I moved to a rural town, things slowed down, especially during peak hours.

Maybe your ISP can't lay enough underwater pipes to wherever things go from New Zealand.

If I was used to speeds of 20kbps then it wouldn't bother me if Steam only got 20kbps. What bothers me is that I can have torrents or other downloads moving at 800kbps, but Steam is constantly slow (not all of the time, probably about half).

I'm just sick of Steam getting in the way almost every time I want to play a damn game. I either have to wait for a mandatory patch (why can't it download the patch in the background and install it when I'm not playing), or I'm getting some stupid error about the game not being currently available, or Steam just plain fails to connect or whatever. It's always fucking something with this software, I'm sick of it. I want to double click a fucking icon on my desktop and play a damn game.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: BFG10K
I purchased the Fear 2 DLC two days ago because it was cheap, but I'm still downloading the fucking thing because Steam's transfer rates are pathetic (I did stop overnight however). It?s not my connection because I?ve plenty of spare bandwidth for background browsing. I also get far higher transfer rates with GoG.com.

If I had the CD version I would have already finished the DLC. Hooray for Steam being ?better? than local content. :roll:

yeah I usually get pretty poor dl speeds and it rarely uses more than 10-20% of my 20meg connection.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer

If I was used to speeds of 20kbps then it wouldn't bother me if Steam only got 20kbps. What bothers me is that I can have torrents or other downloads moving at 800kbps, but Steam is constantly slow (not all of the time, probably about half).

I'm just sick of Steam getting in the way almost every time I want to play a damn game. I either have to wait for a mandatory patch (why can't it download the patch in the background and install it when I'm not playing), or I'm getting some stupid error about the game not being currently available, or Steam just plain fails to connect or whatever. It's always fucking something with this software, I'm sick of it. I want to double click a fucking icon on my desktop and play a damn game.

Then turn auto-update off for your games and stop whining. . .

Zensal

Jan 18, 2005
Maybe the land down under has terrible servers. I just did a reformat/reinstall a couple months ago and redownloaded all my Steam games. Typical dl speed was about 1MB/sec, sometimes more.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Other than games not running without forcefully having to update them....it's ok. It's a ton better than windows live that makes you log in just to be able to save games and have them function correctly.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Daverino

That won?t help with Steam auto-updating itself, which makes the entire machine sluggish and almost unusable. It also does this without any kind of feedback as to what it?s doing and how long it?ll take.

Then when it looks like it?s finished it decides reboot itself to apply the updates, but it sucks even more bandwidth while it?s applying them. Even better is when it?s trying to load stupid advertisements at the same time, which sucks even more bandwidth.

Steam is a bloated piece of garbage that sucks bandwidth like a crack whore sniffing cocaine. It?s nothing more than a bandwidth spammer.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Typical dl speed was about 1MB/sec, sometimes more.
That's up to 21x slower than DVD and up to 36x slower than Bluray.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Originally posted by: Daverino

That won?t help with Steam auto-updating itself, which makes the entire machine sluggish and almost unusable. It also does this without any kind of feedback as to what it?s doing and how long it?ll take.

Then when it looks like it?s finished it decides reboot itself to apply the updates, but it sucks even more bandwidth while it?s applying them. Even better is when it?s trying to load stupid advertisements at the same time, which sucks even more bandwidth.

Steam is a bloated piece of garbage that sucks bandwidth like a crack whore sniffing cocaine. It?s nothing more than a bandwidth spammer.

You have a much faster system than I do and Steam never slows down my comp and always get high dl speeds.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
No problems at all with Steam here. I'm sure location is a key factor in the download speeds though. I'm in FL and my Steam downloads are typically 1.5MB/sec and up.

Apr 20, 2008
No probs here.

Just reinstalled and dropped a whopping 120GB of games on my new HDD. 1.5MBytes per second all the way.