I hate mother nature......her little pet just mangled my car

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
This is as much of a rant as it is a question.

Here I am minding my own business driving home from work tonight when a stupid deer decides to hop out in front of my car. I barely have enough time to slam on the brakes before I ram the pesky varmint with my ride. Now my car is sitting outside with half of my grill missing, some damage (maybe cosmetic) to the radiator, my driver side head light and a nice dent in the bumper and hood. The old girl seemed to make it home just fine but who knows what other damage has been done.

Now for the question: My car is (was) a 1994 plymouth acclaim with 65,000 miles. It ran pretty good and just went in occasionally for minor repairs. I have full coverage on the beast and I have rental coverage, but what do you suppose the insurance company is going to do? I doubt that the car is worth any more that $2,000 and I'm sure that there's more damage than that. The airbag alone will probably run $500. Does anyone have a clue if I'll be able to fix the old girl or if it's even worth it (bear in mind that I've got a $500 deductible)?

My contract is ending next friday so now is not the best time for me to go running out to purchase a new car, but I guess if I have to I have to.

Grrrr....stupid deer.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
If your airbag went off then there is an 80% possability that the vehicle will be totaled by the insurance company.

Insurance companies also repair the vehicle if the repairs cost 80% or less of the vehicles value.

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
Really? Just 'cause the airbag went off they won't fix it?

Geez....this is not what I need right now. If the insurance company does total my car will I at least get something for it?

Evadman

Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Cougar
Really? Just 'cause the airbag went off they won't fix it?

In most states if the airbag goes off and the car is rebult, it will be considered salvage because of the structural damage done by the impact that set it off. Therefore most insurance companies will not touch it.

Geez....this is not what I need right now. If the insurance company does total my car will I at least get something for it?

If they total it you will get their value of it. Their value ranges somewhere between black and blue book ( wholesale and retail )

When by brother totaled our astrovan, American Family gave us $6000 something for it. kellys blue book was $7800 something.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
They'll pretty much choose whatever is cheaper for them generally. I'm guessing they'll claim that its a total loss and they'll pay you whatever they think is the value of the car.

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
Man, this has to be the worst timing ever. I can't afford to buy a car right now and from the way you're both talking it sounds like I'll be lucky if I get $1000 for it.

This probably means that my insurance will go up too huh?

Evadman

Feb 18, 2001
This probably means that my insurance will go up too huh?

Most likely. It depends on the carrier. Some faultless accidents such as yours do not raise rates, but for the most part, if they pay out on you, then your rates go up.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, just trying to be accurate :(

GRIFFIN1

Golden Member
Nov 10, 1999
Have you put the deer in the freezer yet? Sounds like you should take the money you save from the beef and chicken that you will not have to buy for the next few month and invest in some duct tape and bailing wire.

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Most likely they will total it and give you between $1000 and $2000, though if the car was in good shape and had only 65k, demand $2k. Most likely the damage is near 2k so your insurance company will definitley move to total the car. I'd say take the $1500 check they hand you and get another one. Most likely you'll be lucky to find one similar for $3000. The two times you really get screwed by the insurance company in totalling is when your car isn't worth much and when the balance of your loan is worth more than the car. :(

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
Have you put the deer in the freezer yet? Sounds like you should take the money you save from the beef and chicken that you will not have to buy for the next few month and invest in some duct tape and bailing wire.

That deer is 40 miles away from here. Heck I don't even know where the little beast went. I looked in my rear view mirror once the smoke from the airbag cleared and I couldn't see him.

Most likely they will total it and give you between $1000 and $2000, though if the car was in good shape and had only 65k, demand $2k. Most likely the damage is near 2k so your insurance company will definitley move to total the car. I'd say take the $1500 check they hand you and get another one. Most likely you'll be lucky to find one similar for $3000. The two times you really get screwed by the insurance company in totalling is when your car isn't worth much and when the balance of your loan is worth more than the car.

The car was in decent shape and it was completely paid off. I don't know if I would say it was in excellent condition but it didn't really have any major problems. I think the most I ever paid for a repair job was about $300 and there didn't appear to be signs of future problems.

I guess I'll see what the insurance company has to say tomorrow and hopefully I won't get bent over. This will be a double whammy if I get jack squat for my car and my insurance rates get a hefty hike.

Evadman

Feb 18, 2001
Please tell me you do not live in Wisconsion. I just remembered something that can screw you over.

A buddy of mine hit and killed a deer in wisconsion and got a ticket for killing a deer out of season, then a ticket for leaving the dead carcas there and not calling whoever he should have. I would look into that before you call the insurance company just in case.

FSUpaintball

Banned
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Evadman
Please tell me you do not live in Wisconsion. I just remembered something that can screw you over.

A buddy of mine hit and killed a deer in wisconsion and got a ticket for killing a deer out of season, then a ticket for leaving the dead carcas there and not calling whoever he should have. I would look into that before you call the insurance company just in case.

WOW that would piss me off beyond the point of insanity. Killing a deer out of season? You have GOT to be kidding me. When someone commits suicide by jumping off of my building, I don't get charged with homicide!

Evadman

Feb 18, 2001
Yes it is true. He goes to Bradley University now, but I will call him up and see if he still has the ticket. He did have it framed in his bedroom.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Dude, that deer was worth more than your 92 Acclaim.... I mean.... it was an Acclaim. :p

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
You know it dawned on me that there might have been someone to call for these sorts of things but I didn't know who. Heck I don't even know if it actually died. I couldn't stop where I hit the deer because there was no shoulder so I had to drive down the road a little bit before I could pull over.

I live in Pennsylvania so I'm not sure what kind of laws we have regarding these sorts of things. I've seen dead deer all over the place before so hopefully I won't get nabbed by some retarded law.

I swear there's never a dull moment in my life. Since it's looking like I'm probably going to have to buy a new car I hope I get another contract real soon after this one ends. Car payment + no job = bad poo.

Anyone got any suggestions for an old ride that doesn't cost too much?

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
just for reference, in Michigan with Allstate, hitting an animal is considered out of your control and therefore your insurance will not go up. If, however, you swerve to miss a deer and hit a tree, the accident will be your fault. In closing, aim for the body, it's cheaper in the long run :)

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
My wife rear-ended a broken down car once in Connecticut. It was considered a no fault accident. We were driving too fast for the conditions(under the speed limit, but still drizzling) her being broken down on the interstate in the fast lane) concrete barrier to the left, traffic to the right, stopped car in front of you, 150 feet of wet pavement in front of you...what ya going to do?

Insurance totaled the car basically because the airbags deployed, they gave us an estimate of 2-3000 for the airbags alone. We were 500 dollars upside down on the car with a 250 deductable. The local Insurance Agent was totally nice and everything. We stayed in the hotel right beside his office building. Helped us get into another rental car, gave us directions, advice on what to do, a prompt estimate, you name it. We still took 3 points for insurance purposes because they had to total the car out and pay close to 7 grand to the lien holder.

This was through Progressive. This was much better treatment than I received through State Farms. I had a policy with them from the time I was 16 til the age of 23 in which I got 8 points on my license for a major violation. I had never had any violations before that event, no moving nor parking violations, nothing...they cancelled my policy when this happened. This is why they will never get my business and I will always try to pursuade others to go elsewhere...

Like a bad neighbor, State Farm doesn't care....

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
I wouldn't worry about the deer. If it's dead, its' already been eaten by some venison lover with a pickup.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Cougar
This is as much of a rant as it is a question.

Here I am minding my own business driving home from work tonight when a stupid deer decides to hop out in front of my car. I barely have enough time to slam on the brakes before I ram the pesky varmint with my ride. Now my car is sitting outside with half of my grill missing, some damage (maybe cosmetic) to the radiator, my driver side head light and a nice dent in the bumper and hood. The old girl seemed to make it home just fine but who knows what other damage has been done.

Now for the question: My car is (was) a 1994 plymouth acclaim with 65,000 miles. It ran pretty good and just went in occasionally for minor repairs. I have full coverage on the beast and I have rental coverage, but what do you suppose the insurance company is going to do? I doubt that the car is worth any more that $2,000 and I'm sure that there's more damage than that. The airbag alone will probably run $500. Does anyone have a clue if I'll be able to fix the old girl or if it's even worth it (bear in mind that I've got a $500 deductible)?

My contract is ending next friday so now is not the best time for me to go running out to purchase a new car, but I guess if I have to I have to.

Grrrr....stupid deer.

Well if they do total it, make sure you put the old radio back in ;)

But even if they total it you can still buy it back and keep it. Maybe fix the headlight and keep the rest of the money until you find something you can afford and would replace it with. Or at least see if you get a new contract.
But call the insurance companey and at least let them look at it. Never know, they may just fix it, longshot.

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
just for reference, in Michigan with Allstate, hitting an animal is considered out of your control and therefore your insurance will not go up. If, however, you swerve to miss a deer and hit a tree, the accident will be your fault. In closing, aim for the body, it's cheaper in the long run

Yep, that's exactly what I did. I hit the beast straight on. Of course I didn't have time to do anything. I barely had time to slam on the brakes let alone try to swerve.

I wouldn't worry about the deer. If it's dead, its' already been eaten by some venison lover with a pickup.

Actually I briefly glanced at the Pennsylvania State Game Commision's website and the deer is legally mine for 24 hours. So if I'm on my way home from work tonight and it's still there I can pick the bad boy up and make me some jerky. After 24 hours it becomes fair game and anyone can take it. What I should have done is found the deer and put a tracking device on it, then when someone takes it before 12:30 tonight I can sue them for theft :) :D

Well if they do total it, make sure you put the old radio back in

But even if they total it you can still buy it back and keep it. Maybe fix the headlight and keep the rest of the money until you find something you can afford and would replace it with. Or at least see if you get a new contract.
But call the insurance companey and at least let them look at it. Never know, they may just fix it, longshot.

Marlin ol' buddy :)

That's actually one of the first things I thought of. I thought to myself, "If this thing ends up being totalled I have to make sure to yank out my fabulous new mp3 player."

It never occured to me to just get the headlight fixed and continue to drive it. I guess I could give it a shot, but I'm just worried that there might be more damage than is visible to the eye. I don't think that the deer actually went under my car but if it did there may be more damage there too. Plus I still have to get the airbag fixed.

I dunno, I've already called up my insurance company (Travelers) and they're going to send someone out to appraise the damage. They have to be the slowest moving company though. They said it's going to take them 1 - 2 days to get someone out to my place to take a look at my ride. Does it normally take this long?

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
You know, I don't mean to sound like someone who thinks he "knows it all". But my dad is an attorney and I see a lot of these types of situations with insurance companies. Of course, as many have said they will try to get out any way they can from paying. But you had full coverage and I would take a look at the blue book on what your car is actually worth and make sure you atleast get that amount if they claim it is total'd. If they don't, take them to court. You had full coverage, you deserve the money, if not getting your car fixed regardless of price. Sometimes you can demand your car be fixed rather than taking money, depending on how bad you want to keep your car.

See, about a couple of months ago, My 92 Camaro was sitting in my drive way minding its own business when in the middle of the night a drunk person ran off the road, hit my car and knocked it about 90 degrees around and then continued down our yard out of control and ended up coming to a stop when hitting our iron fence (cemented in to the ground) knocking it out. Then drove off. We ended up finding him later the next day due to him losing parts in our drive way. Anyway, to make a long story short the insurance is having to fix my camaro. We told them we didn't want money, we wanted everything fixed. So that whats getting done. I hope your insurance company will work with you as well.

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
That's odd, When I look at MichaelD's link to edmunds it shows that the dealer reatail value of my car is $2012, but when I look at Kelly Blue Book it says the dealer retail value is $3,900. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong section of kbb?

TravisT...

I pretty much expect to have the insurance company try to screw me over. I've never been in this situation before so I don't know what's going to happen and how much they're going to try to bend me over. Half of me wants to get my car fixed, but then again I don't know if it will cause me more problems further down the line if I hang onto the car.

Do you think I should be able to get at least $2000 if they decide to scrap the car? Since I've got a $500 deductible I'd imagine that they would deduct that from whatever I get paid, right? (assuming that I dump the car instead of fixing it).

I think my next car will be a small tank so that I can hit a whole herd of deer without worrying about ruining my car.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Since I've got a $500 deductible I'd imagine that they would deduct that from whatever I get paid, right? (assuming that I dump the car instead of fixing it).

Yes, they will deduct the amount of your deductible from the check they issue you. FWIW, I always go by Edmunds' numbers....in personal experience, they've been almost dead-on.