I HATE going anywhere by myself.. Something wrong with me?

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Every time I go to the mall or any other store, I always want company. I never want to go by myself. When I walk around campus or go eat lunch, I always do so with friends.

If I can't find a buddy to eat with while I'm on campus, I usually don't eat at all - or I just sit somewhere and eat quick and get up and leave.

I hate driving anywhere by myself and I can never have enough people around. I find comfort in the confusion. And, I hate being at home when I'm by myself... but if I'm on the Internet, it's not bad because I feel 'connected'.

A night without watching the news before I go to bed is usually a sleepless night.

I feel like I'm totally dependent on having others around me. Is there a word for that?

It's even like this.. when I meet a new girl, I'd much rather meet her and her friend and even have a friend with me than meet her alone.

I feel like I'm a boring person when I'm not part of a group.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
You're co-dependent.

I'm the opposite. with the exception of certain instances, i would much rather be alone...or if i had a girlfriend, just with her.

rawoutput

Banned
Jan 23, 2002
Sounds like your a pretty boring person and needs others around him to make him appear interesting. Join some clubs or something and do interesting stuff so you can actually have a real conversation.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
your just a wuss.

me i'd rather do those things by myself.

man, when i was in korea, one thing i noticed was that NO one did anything by themselves. at least the college students anyway, they all traveled in groups. always.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
eh, i would *rather* eat with people, but never have trouble eating alone quickly. as far as going to places (malls, etc.) i only do it with friends (why else would i go to a mall????)

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
I was the same way before - I attribute it to a lack of confidence at the time I guess. Now I still have a little bit of anxiety about going places by myself, but I'm working on getting rid of that feeling...

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
nahh... I'm the opposite. I like going to movies, malls, parties by myself. My friends don't, they usually call me up to go to those things. But its weird with them around, nothing much to talk about. Mostly the same cars... same topics on girls... its so redundant. If I had someone with some intelligence to go with that would be cool. Talk about psychology... human behavior.. you know all that "jazz" ;)

Speaking of jazz.. I'm listening to a really good tune right now.. ahh.. :)

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
I am just like that too, although I really enjoy being alone at home and don't like to have people over.
But it makes one feel rather lonely.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: KGB
nahh... I'm the opposite. I like going to movies, malls, parties by myself. My friends don't, they usually call me up to go to those things. But its weird with them around, nothing much to talk about. Mostly the same cars... same topics on girls... its so redundant. If I had someone with some intelligence to go with that would be cool. Talk about psychology... human behavior.. you know all that "jazz" ;)

Speaking of jazz.. I'm listening to a really good tune right now.. ahh.. :)

why do you call them friends then?

Grasshopper27

Banned
Sep 11, 2002
Originally posted by: pyonir
You're co-dependent.

I'm the opposite. with the exception of certain instances, i would much rather be alone...or if i had a girlfriend, just with her.
LOL! That's so true, and I know the feeling...

I'm co-dependent myself...

: ) Hopper

*Big Group Hug* :D

freakflag

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
Man...the only time I ever get anything done is when no one is around nagging me.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
I'm kinda in-between. I like going places with someone, especially shopping or driving. But then I'll sometimes get an urge just to do something by myself like spend a day in the city alone or just walk around for a few hours. And when time is priority you can't beat doing it alone.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I live alone and I love living alone, but for some reason I hate going places alone, ESPECIALLY driving to unfamiliar territory. Not sure why that is, although in the past 6 months, I have been getting into the local theatrical scene and from travelling to different theatres, going to bars and people's houses after rehearsal, I've become familiar with a much wider part of the area's geography and I'm no longer quite so tepid about driving places.

I think my issue about going to the mall or whatever is mostly inertia. When I get home, I don't feel like going back out and I think I need someone to goad me. I have no problems going straight from work or rehearsal since I'm already out.

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001

Umm.. well I see them in school regularly, we chat.. small talk about professors and the usual life a post teenager living in manhattan thats why. I didn't call them my life mates.. or uber best friends now did I?

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
I hate going shopping with friends. I can spend an hour in one store and 5 minutes in another. Then I feel bad if I keep them waiting. Not to mention ususally the store I'm in 5 mins, they are in for an hour and vice versa. They all love shopping with me though since I'll always find something cool since I'm bored and start digging...

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I always want someone with me when I'm driving somewhere that I've never been, 'cause most people have better vision than me & can read the signs a lot sooner than I can.

:D

Other than that I don't mind being alone.

Viper GTS

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003

Umm.. well I see them in school regularly, we chat.. small talk about professors and the usual life a post teenager living in manhattan thats why. I didn't call them my life mates.. or uber best friends now did I?

mb it's just me. i call people like that acquaintences. just terminology i guess. carry on. :)

oh btw, in korea, the term "friends" refers to everyone in the same class or same age group. which is totally different than what we think of as friends.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: kevin000
I hate going shopping with friends. I can spend an hour in one store and 5 minutes in another. Then I feel bad if I keep them waiting. Not to mention ususally the store I'm in 5 mins, they are in for an hour and vice versa. They all love shopping with me though since I'll always find something cool since I'm bored and start digging...

OMG i knew this guy and when a bunch of us would go to a mall to hang out or something, he would have a list of things and he went and did his list and when he was finished he wanted to go home no matter what the rest of us wanted to do. so we usually didn't ask him along. shoot, if he's gonna be like that just go by himself.

dugweb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
when im alone i feel motivated to take advantage of the opportunity because i dont often find myself alone... I usually find myself getting a lot more done than i normally do

SoylentGreen

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
Movies and eating by myself no.
Malls a resounding yes since all the women I go with stop every 2 seconds.

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by: LeeTJ

mb it's just me. i call people like that acquaintences. just terminology i guess. carry on. :)

oh btw, in korea, the term "friends" refers to everyone in the same class or same age group. which is totally different than what we think of as friends.

ohh whatever man. If you define "friends" in one way and I define it in another who gives a damn. Also how would you define the word "is"? (also if you like to protest that "is" is not actually a word, but used in sentences that are formed from words)

How do YOU like them apples? ;) :p

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
My wife is the same way, except she's afraid to go by herself... of something happening (Rob/rape/murder). :frown: