I hate CS graders

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 7, 2000
Q: what is the answer to 2+2?
A: the answer is a number

Q: what is a constructor?
A: its something you use in OOP

while both technically true, thats not what was asked. the burden is on YOU to prove you understand the question and know the answer. the question is vague, and with all short answer there are multiple responses that could be considered correct. if you know more about constructors and destructors than just when to use them, you need to prove it. answer the who/what/when/where/why (or whatever makes sense for the problem), then its just practice to figure out how to write everything you need to convey in the space/time provided. CS for the most part is not a subjective curriculum, its up to you to provide what the graders are looking for, not up to the grader to try and figure out if you understand a crucial concept based on a single short sentence.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Cogman
One thing Ill say about the comment that "Programming isn't about writing as few charactors as possible". Several times in this class, this professor has said "I'm lazy so Ill write as little and as simple a solution as possible" Provided he does want readability, but he is very clear on making things as short as possible.

You write code that is concise and readable, not just concise. When taking a quiz, you write an answer that is concise but fully answers the question, and shouldn't just be as concise as possible. That was my point.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
I feel your answers at least deserved partial credit. It should not have been graded the same as if you left it blank. While your answers were not as detailed as they could have been, they prove that you at least have a general understanding which is worth something IMO. That's my argument.

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
Some people don't like simple short answers. They want you to elaborate, which they should be clear about it. Did you loose all the points, or got most of them, or what?