I hate Clear Channel.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheShiz

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
where are all the people that actually like the format changes? they must be out there, if these changes lowered the number of people listening to them, then they wouldn't change format, corporations aren't out to lose money.

Krk3561

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2002
Originally posted by: theNEOone
OMFG I THOUGHT I HAD TRAVELLED INTO A PARALLEL UNIVERSE WHEN I TURNED ON THE RADIO AFTER WORK TODAY (I LIVE IN MIAMI). I CANNOT FVCKING BELIEVE THEY DITCHED ZETA.....WHAT A LOAD OF B.S.

(SORRY FOR THE CAPS BUT I'M VENTING)

=|

Seriously, I can't believe there isnt a rock station in South Florida anymore.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: CptObvious
Originally posted by: InterpolAgent
Wasn't there a list of blacklisted songs by CC back in 2001 floating around. I remember seeing it around the same time as the terrorist attacks. A lot of people were upset and called up the stations in Austin. One of the songs was "Revolution" by the Beatles...who the hell would ban that? I seriously think the right-wing corporate mofos are going way too far.
Yep, I remember that list. It had truly seditious songs like What a Wonderful World, Bridge Over Troubled Water, and Imagine.

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/radio.htm

Originally posted by: TheShiz
where are all the people that actually like the format changes? they must be out there, if these changes lowered the number of people listening to them, then they wouldn't change format, corporations aren't out to lose money.

They are changing to latin stations. I'm sure the majority of listeners don't post on internet computer forums.

Krk3561

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Jfrag Teh Foul
Originally posted by: feralkid
Originally posted by: theNEOone

this is a sad day for miami. i hope all the fvcking cubans get the hell out of here.

=|

Think they'd agree?

If they are illegal it shouldn't matter if they agree to it or not.
Text
There are no illegal cuban immigrants, all they have to do is touch US soil and they are granted asylum

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I feel your pain, hopefuly someone with business sense will open a new station or convert a non competitive one.
Clear Channel killed Texas' oldest rock station a few months ago here in Houston, 2 weeks ago though Cumulus Radio saw the opportunity left by CCs stupidity and converted a low performing hip-hop station to rock. :) I am happy, I have the music I like and Satan isn't playing it.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: aplefka
Clear Channel is seriously one of the worst companies ever. I had a friend who was a DJ and was really good, and he knew a lot about the industry and he explained to me the difference between company-run stations and individually owned/operated stations, and it's horrible. The way companies like CC do it is like how McDonald's does their food.

Edit: Minus the grease of course, except for that in the executive's hair.

CC is a corporation like any other. They make decisions based on what market research points to being sucessful. The employees at the various stations are in charge of marketing the stations, while the people from clearchannel directly tell them the rules and how to work the major issues.

Just because it's a radio station doesn't make it impervious to the patterns of a corporation.

I really don't see how it's THAT bad. You always have a choice of listening or not listening.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I was in disbelief when I found this out Friday, I even called 105.9 and talked with one of the DJ's from 94.9 (Jenners) and he said he didn't even know it was going to happen either.

I hope that this results in 103.1 the Buzz to fill in the void and extend their range down to Miami.

As for all this CC is giving what the market wants sh!t, I think thats B.S., they are giving Miami what it wants but not the rest of the areas that Zeta covered also, just a year or so ago the extended the range of Zeta up to West Palm, so from Miami to West Palm I find it hard to believe that listeners of a station thats been around for decades really are going to be happy to lose the only (for Miami) rock station available to them.

Makes me feel better that I spent my money on my MP3 player though :)

R.I.P. Zeta :(

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Injury

I really don't see how it's THAT bad. You always have a choice of listening or not listening.

well now apparently the choice is limited to not listening.

i'm glad cumulus converted their rap station to rock here, sports radio was getting really annoying. i swear houston sports fans are borderline retarded. the same damn question over and over again. "why didn't the astros sign wade miller again? scott boras is the devil! david carr sucks! blah blah blah!"

Kilgor

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: SuperSix
Originally posted by: czech09
They pulled 95.7 in Tampa which was one of their most popular alternative stations at the time and changed it into a Rap station but w/e...

Yea, and it's all R&B now - no GOOD rap.. C;mon, let's get some hardcore rap stations!

How about we not do that and say we did. :)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
/points and laughs

NYC radio market rocks. we have some great non-CC alt rock stations, and couple awsome college radio stations.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
I got Sirius because of ClearChannel. I got sick of their "play it to death" formula.
Sirius rocks, btw.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: blazert40
Originally posted by: ThePresence
SIRIUS.

Does anyone know what has a better rock selection? XM or Sirius?

Clear Channel was one of the original investors in XM. So that was enough to make me choose Sirius.

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
Why would anybody listen to FM in the first place? Even if you did like some of the music there, I'm sure they played it to death, had tons of ads, and had annoying radio djs.

There have been much better alternatives for quite some time. CD, satellite radio now, mp3 system, etc.