I had "Assyrian" food on saturday night.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
It was quite interesting.

Buffalo Kabobs. Some sort of Pheasant dish. The best thing was the rice with saffron in it. You piled it on your plate, then put a raw egg in the middle of it, and put some steaming hot rice on top of the egg, and it cooked it in the middle. Then you sprinkled "sumac" over it. The rice also had these little flour noodles in them, and large raisins. Then we had tea with cardamon in it, made in a "Samavar" (SP?). Definately something i'd eat again. Anyone else familiar with this?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
how do they know what kinda food assyrians ate? i guess the same way we know what the ancient greeks ate.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: ElFenix
how do they know what kinda food assyrians ate? i guess the same way we know what the ancient greeks ate.

Because the lady who cooked the food was from Assyria.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy

i think crabby was saying that because assyria (as a nation) was destroyed 1500 years ago.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
where the hell did you go for dinner?

Friends house. In Emporia, nonetheless.
Emporia? Heh, I drive through there on my way back and forth from school and home. Small world.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Hammer

i think crabby was saying that because assyria (as a nation) was destroyed 1500 years ago.

Ah..I gotcha. I was wondering about this too. I asked her, and she said the country she is from is Iran, but she does not like to claim that. She says most Assyrians claim to be from Assyria, as Iran is primarily a Muslim nation, and Assyrians are Christians. She (and her family) does not care for Muslims at all. (or Iran for that matter)

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Heisenberg

Emporia? Heh, I drive through there on my way back and forth from school and home. Small world.

It's a freaking hole. Where is school and where is home?

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001

LOL. Yeah, pretty much. I go to UNL and am from western KS originally.

Nov 5, 2001

LOL. Yeah, pretty much. I go to UNL and am from western KS originally.

I'm sorry on both counts... :)

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
well, I knew it wasn't someplace on Wanamaker Road....I ate at the Plaza.

The Plaza. I'm jealous.

Wanamaker road=crap.

Mike, if you can, give me some good places to eat in Manhappenin. The places i've been to so far : Cox Bros BBQ (not bad, ok), Marco Polo (pretty good), Whiskey Creek (not that good). Thanks.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
So you ate Babylonian food? How about Persian food? Considering Babylonia destroyed the Assyrians in c. 626 BCE, then the Persians destroyed the Babylonians in c. 538 BCE, I'd say it's close to impossible to have "Assyrian Food." Not to mention that early civilizations, such as the Assyrians, did not have culturally specific foods. They didn't have the time to create them. They ate what everyone else in the, now Middle East, ate.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: dtyn
So you ate Babylonian food? How about Persian food? Considering Babylonia destroyed the Assyrians in c. 626 BCE, then the Persians destroyed the Babylonians in c. 538 BCE, I'd say it's close to impossible to have "Assyrian Food." Not to mention that early civilizations, such as the Assyrians, did not have culturally specific foods. They didn't have the time to create them. They ate what everyone else in the, now Middle East, ate.

Read my previous post about this. She said Persian food is different.

Nov 5, 2001

The Plaza. I'm jealous.

Wanamaker road=crap.

Mike, if you can, give me some good places to eat in Manhappenin. The places i've been to so far : Cox Bros BBQ (not bad, ok), Marco Polo (pretty good), Whiskey Creek (not that good). Thanks.

Yeah, I had some mean roasted penguin.

My favorite place is CocoBolos (owned by the Cox Bros, but never had their BBQ). Kind of an eclectic tex-mex place. If you like mexican there is always Texas Star Cafe, for Cajun try Hibachi Hut (it and Texas Star share a building). Quite a few of the places I used to frequent are gone now....

Assuming you are talking pre-game for the KU basketball, Coco's will probably be busy, but the others may be as well.

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
[old man from scene 24]WHAT... isthecapitalofAssyria?[/old man from scene 24]

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003

The Plaza. I'm jealous.

Wanamaker road=crap.

Yeah, I had some mean roasted penguin.

My favorite place is CocoBolos (owned by the Cox Bros, but never had their BBQ). Kind of an eclectic tex-mex place. If you like mexican there is always Texas Star Cafe, for Cajun try Hibachi Hut (it and Texas Star share a building). Quite a few of the places I used to frequent are gone now....

Assuming you are talking pre-game for the KU basketball, Coco's will probably be busy, but the others may be as well.

Naw..G/F lives in Manhattan, so I go there often. Coco's has been busy often, but i'd like to try there.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002

How can it be different from something that never had time to develop into existence? I thought people learned about this stuff in Survey courses.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003

How can it be different from something that never had time to develop into existence? I thought people learned about this stuff in Survey courses.

From what i've seen and read, the Assyrian culture is alive and living throughout the world. Just google "assyria" and you will see.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001

considering assyrians are a semitic people and she's from iran and not persian (as the majority of iranians are), i can see how they would be different.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003

That is also like saying American Food does not exist, since we have only been a country for 200 some years. So..American food is the same as English, French, German, Italian, Irish, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean(etc etc etc) food?