I had an idea for hockey

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
We've all been there, you're playing in your room as a kid, and you can hear dad yelling at the TV. "SHOOT! SHOOT! YOU IDIOT, SHOOT! COME ON!" And mom getting mad saying "they can't hear you you know".

Well now that there is no spectators, what if they made an app where you buy a ticket as you would if you were a spectator, and it simply activates your mic, and the players can hear you. Now when you are yelling at your TV, they will actually be able to hear you and make the right calls! Now everyone can be a coach and make sure their team wins!

There would be different classes of tickets, some of the higher end ones would let you yell at the refs as well as the coaches.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The experiment would last for a game (or maybe a few periods).

Someone(s) would yell a racial/ethnic/homophobic slur, or threaten to kill a player, ref, and/or their family. In my head I was going for a humorous answer to make my answer not so serious, but after thinking about it as I typed, this is how many people behave online when they believe they are posting anonymously.

Reactions: Number1

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Op doesn't understand mass media... There is a lot of spectators compared to players. How is the player going to make out what is being said by thousands of people screaming?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Op doesn't understand mass media... There is a lot of spectators compared to players. How is the player going to make out what is being said by thousands of people screaming?

It was meant as a joke.

But if they were to actually do this, to make it realistic they would need a speaker for each "fan" basically so the sounds all come from different directions from the stands. And it would need to be good audio quality otherwise it would just sound like a bunch of choppy noise.

But yeah this would not last very long as it would only take one person to say something offensive or make an actual threat.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
But yeah this would not last very long as it would only take one person to say something offensive or make an actual threat.
Hell, there are people who send death threats over a breakfast cereal brand being discontinued. :oops:

I can't remember the college football kickers name at the moment, but he missed a couple crucial field goals in a game which cost his team the game, and he had to deactivate his social media accounts because of all the death threats against him and his family.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Hell, there are people who send death threats over a breakfast cereal brand being discontinued. :oops:

I can't remember the college football kickers name at the moment, but he missed a couple crucial field goals in a game which cost his team the game, and he had to deactivate his social media accounts because of all the death threats against him and his family.

lmao wow. Sadly not surprised though. People can be insane.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
In these games they're playing now & you hear crowd noise, can the players hear that or is it only heard by TV viewers? If the players can hear it i wonder if there's the occasional "you suck" or whatever thrown in there for realism? :D

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Speaking of hockey:

Is anyone watching the NHL playoffs? The game between the Blue Jackets and the Maple leafs was insane.

End to end action from start to finish. Good hockey is the best of all sports.