I guess some news on the R300 got leaked...

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
That could be it too although I hope something about the R300 comes out today or tomorrow.

Optimistic view on this: The R300 is so powerful the power went out when Rage3d plugged it in. ;)

DeepBlueJH

Jul 12, 2002
Originally posted by: SithSolo1
That could be it too although I hope something about the R300 comes out today or tomorrow.

Optimistic view on this: The R300 is so powerful the power went out when Rage3d plugged it in. ;)

^^hahah^^

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Or, Rage3D plugged an ATI card in their server and *BOOM* - BSOD on bootup! :Q ;) :p

daywalker

Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by: DevilsAdvocate
It is scheduled for an early evening release, from what I heard earlier today.

I think its past early evening already

Still no R300

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
:( Well it would seem ATI aren't shipping cards to review sites yet. Maybe the new Rad cards aren't all they're cracked up to be, I hope they are at least competative to current nVidia cards. More than likely ATI are simply doing some last minute tweaking (or bug fixing) before shipping out the final designs. The first reviews are likely to hold a lot of interest and long lasting attention so they'll want to get it right. Lets face it, even if Matrox Parhelia could achieve GF4TI perf with a few simple tweaks (hw or driver) most people would still rem the initial reviews and perf.

;) I can't believe review sites would rather natter on about nForce2 (all due respect) when they have new Rad cards sitting around. I would expect ATI would have followed nVidia's example and shipped out reference cards way before date so most reviewers could have key info (if not benchmarks) ready for the release date. A tad disappointing and a little worrying IMHO.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: AnAndAustin
:( Well it would seem ATI aren't shipping cards to review sites yet. Maybe the new Rad cards aren't all they're cracked up to be, I hope they are at least competative to current nVidia cards. More than likely ATI are simply doing some last minute tweaking (or bug fixing) before shipping out the final designs. The first reviews are likely to hold a lot of interest and long lasting attention so they'll want to get it right. Lets face it, even if Matrox Parhelia could achieve GF4TI perf with a few simple tweaks (hw or driver) most people would still rem the initial reviews and perf.

;) I can't believe review sites would rather natter on about nForce2 (all due respect) when they have new Rad cards sitting around. I would expect ATI would have followed nVidia's example and shipped out reference cards way before date so most reviewers could have key info (if not benchmarks) ready for the release date. A tad disappointing and a little worrying IMHO.

I agree that ATI really needs to get its $hit together if it expects to survive against Nvidia. I have a gut feeling that this card isn't going to be a big deal. But I hope I'm wrong.

daywalker

Feb 1, 2002
[/quote];) I can't believe review sites would rather natter on about nForce2 (all due respect) when they have new Rad cards sitting around.[/quote]

Oh im not afraid to say names. Both Anandtech and Tomshardware instead of giving us any news today, they are just acting like nothing is going on. If it was my site, i would definetely post some news about the whole thing or even a glimpse of that is expected to come. But this is ridiculus. Thumbs down to ATI and the review sites...

NicColt

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2000
According to cnet it will only be on Thursday so you won't see anything today being Wednesday. However the NDA may run out at Midnight tonight, that may be why were not seeing anything.

===
The Markham, Ontario-based company on Thursday will unveil the details of the Radeon 9700, a desktop graphics chip based on a new architecture that will provide greater realism when it comes to 3D images, according to sources.
===

I feel like it's the end of the world or something : )

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
They launched it officially in a press conference at London scheduled for 1-2PM.

The dates being passed around right now are indicating it'll be on the market in September.

NicColt

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2000
>it'll be on the market in September

Translation

it'll be on the market in November

Good Grief I can only imagine when the AIW-9700 or AIW-10000 will be out.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Then I suppose it's better just to wait for the NV30 which will likely kick the pants off the Radeon 9700 as Nvidia seems to do to every new ATI release. I just hope they include overlay gamma control this time for once. This sort pre-release hype is ridiculous - it reminds me of the PS2.

ceZium

Jun 29, 2002
The NV30 is definately where it's at. I am just looking forward to hearing about the ATI card and what it can do.

NicColt

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2000
The Inquirer

>Looks like a paper launch.

LOL it's not even a paper launch, it's more like a hype launch. It's funny coz they officially release the card but with no official specs and you can't have one. ATI.com has absolutely nothing on the launch (as of this time) weird. Is there an NDA no..(doesn't look like it). Did sites receive a working model no...(all sites I'm visiting have nothing). So how are things different from yesterday, I don't get it. Jeez if this is how they do things I'd hate to see their accounting practices.

>NV30 is definately where it's at.

you won't see an NV30 this year.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Quote: you won't see an NV30 this year

Are you saying that Nvidia will be falling behind in their 6-month product cycle? Come to think of it we haven't heard a peep out of them for a while now.

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
;) sxr7171, nVidia would love people to believe they beat ATI at every release, but the only reason we got the GF3TI200 and TI500 cards was due to the Rad8500 being too strong for the GF3. Same for GF4TI4200 and the GF2MX400 card for that matter. If nvidia weren't anticipating Rad9000 then they would never have released the 4200, it is more about filling the Rad9000's market segment before the card is even out!

:D nVidia will be quiet as they are successfully saturating the market with their GF4 cards. The won't want to hurt GF4 sales by tipping their hand.

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
AnAnd Rad9700

;) Just what I was hoping for, great going ATI. Only had a quick flick through the review but it certainly looks encouraging.

:D I have always said that the new gen of cards supporting DX9 and AGP8x will have to significantly improve Ani and pure perf more than anything else. AA is pretty great on current nVidia cards (4xAA isn't really necessary, QxAA & Ani is easily as good and faster too). Since AGP8x is unlikely to boost perf much, if at all and since DX9 will take 12 months to really prove useful (by which time cheaper and faster cards will be out anyway), what really matters is pure speed, and Rad9700 SEEMS to deliver. Just look at the 3 cards that will (when you can get the Rad9700) be in the top price segment's perf from that link. Parhelia (erm, oops), GF4TI4600 (respectable BUT price cut anyone) and Rad9700 (if they get moving).

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: AnAndAustin
;) sxr7171, nVidia would love people to believe they beat ATI at every release, but the only reason we got the GF3TI200 and TI500 cards was due to the Rad8500 being too strong for the GF3. Same for GF4TI4200 and the GF2MX400 card for that matter. If nvidia weren't anticipating Rad9000 then they would never have released the 4200, it is more about filling the Rad9000's market segment before the card is even out!

:D nVidia will be quiet as they are successfully saturating the market with their GF4 cards. The won't want to hurt GF4 sales by tipping their hand.

Come to think of it, you're right about the 8500 and the GeForce 3 series. But didn't GeForce 4 come out very soon afterwards and really outperform the 8500? But I think the 8500 is a very competitive card even now given that it came out before the GeForce4 series.

Actually, I'm glad we have encouraging news on ATI now, I suppose yesterday was the calm before the storm.