I guess I'm just a plain old SHOOTER guy...

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
I've been replaying all the Crysis Games, Doom 3 BFG edition, I've played all the Borderlands, Wolfenstein, Quakes, Stalker, Metro's, Serious Sam, Farcry, etc...

I don't like to have to THINK too much when I'm playing a game...

Are there any GREAT shooters I am missing?

Feb 4, 2009
I've been replaying all the Crysis Games, Doom 3 BFG edition, I've played all the Borderlands, Wolfenstein, Quakes, Stalker, Metro's, Serious Sam, Farcry, etc...

I don't like to have to THINK too much when I'm playing a game...

TF2

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Counter Strike: Global Offensive

yeah, CSGO doesn't have a story though, its just a competitive shooter with a very high skill ceiling.

I have almost 800 hours logged in CSGO in the last year and I am only an average player (MG1/2). To ever get really good you have to dedicate a lot of time and practice.

Fantastic game though.

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
I just got Call of Juarez off Steam for $3.47 - Western in the style of Borderland's graphics...GREAT buy for the money!

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
yeah, CSGO doesn't have a story though, its just a competitive shooter with a very high skill ceiling.

I have almost 800 hours logged in CSGO in the last year and I am only an average player (MG1/2). To ever get really good you have to dedicate a lot of time and practice.

Fantastic game though.

I'm not into team based games, I'm a single player guy...

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I'm not into team based games, I'm a single player guy...

Yeah CSGO is not your game then, this is not a rambo you get to kill everyone kinda game. Its a very competitive shooter where you will spend the first 100-200 hours being killed a LOT more than you will get kills.

Still a good shooter, but for a different type of player.

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
Yeah CSGO is not your game then, this is not a rambo you get to kill everyone kinda game. Its a very competitive shooter where you will spend the first 100-200 hours being killed a LOT more than you will get kills.

Still a good shooter, but for a different type of player.

And you are playing against LIVE people right, not AI?

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
And you are playing against LIVE people right, not AI?

Yes, competitive matchmaking mode is 5v5 Terrorists vs counter terrorist it is first to 16 round wins, Terrorists have to plant a bomb at either A site or B site. Counter terrorist team has to defend A site and B site from the terrorists. If the bomb is planted CTs have 30 seconds to retake the bomb site and diffuse the bomb. Diffusing takes 10 seconds without a diffuse kit, 5 seconds with one. If you die during a round, you do not respawn until the next round. In order to make sure you aren't playing with people who are TOO good it has a ranking system based on your wins and losses so you will be matched with similar ranked teammates.

CSGO is partly about aiming and recoil control, partly about movement and game sense, and lastly communicating with your teammates.

There is also 10v10 casual mode which is just a random lobby of 20 people, more lower skilled players and a lot more targets to shoot at than 5v5 competitive mode so casual can be fun to practice in.

Lastly there are other casual game modes of "arms race" which is similar to call of duty's "gun game". And then there is deathmatch which is essentially a free for all, no rounds and respawning is on, so you just run around getting kills, it is mainly used for aiming practice.

There is an offline mode with AI, but the AI tend to go from stupidly retarded oblivious AI, to they have wall hacks and are pulling off impossible shots from across the map.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
You have hit most of the favorites, Farcry (still like first one best) Crysis, I like the FEAR games. Jerico (clive Barker game) is old, was interesting, some team based stuff which was "OK" and bad at times,. but was interesting. I enjoyed Just Cause II alot, but its more a GTA clone with more guns, think Farcry with more stuff to drive/fly etc..) for some strange reason i took some silly satisfaction getting 100% destroyed on a base, even if there where 500 more to do it to and it meant nothing.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Rise of the Triad, Shadow Warrior, Doom 1 & 2 (via modern OpenGL sourceport). They all had that old-school "Fun-ness trumps realism every time, run at 30mph whilst packing 6-7 weapons and blow enemies away with a rocket launcher whilst circle strafing & leaping 30ft into the air, slow-paced cover-based shooters, complex plots and run-away-to-auto-heal is for total pussies" feel to them if that's what you're looking for... :biggrin:

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Give a shot to Painkiller and/or Hard Reset, both very old school-style, not much "thinking" involved.

Feb 4, 2009
Heroes & Generals (on steam) is pretty good its f2p and there is a grind but its not a terrible grind. $10 and you can buy a decent tank or weapon.
The set up is nice because everyone isn't running around with pimped out guns all the time.
Not really that team based its helpful to hang out with your squad but you can be very effective running around on your own.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Another vote for Hard Reset. It can often be found cheap and has great value. One of the few games where the devs took an already fun game and added significant content to it....and didn't charge anyone a cent for doing so.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
At least play Half Life 2 if you never have. And similarly you might enjoy Left 4 Dead for the story experience if nothing else.