I guess I am getting old

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: EvilComputer92
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
Originally posted by: pontifex
nah, its not you getting old, the game just sucks.

and I guess brainless shooters like cod4 get most peoples attention.. the most brainless crap of all time...

Seriously, how people can hate on Crysis and sing praises about COD4 is beyond me. It's so heavily scripted, repetitive and linear that it's nearly ridiculous. It feels like a shooter from 1998 with hordes of respawning enemies rushing at you over and over.

i don't know. i loved CoD4 but couldn't stand to play crysis. crysis was boring as hell to me. probably because there's no story and its exactly the same gameplay and setting as far cry, which was another crappy game.

gtd2000

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
I am getting older - but have yet to play Crysis.

I thoroughly enjoyed Far Cry and IMNSHO it was the best shooter of recent years until STALKER.

HL2 EP2 bored me if the truth be told - same old, tired out story line focussed on the teen market with the chick aspect of the game....yawn.

Graphics certainly arn't everything - I'd rather play a good game with HL1/Q2 quality graphics than a mediocre shooter with eye candy and fancy graphics.

While I'm moaning - I can't stand how sluggish MOH Airborne is....I've given up on it..

Oh and PS I enjoyed COD4 :thumbsup:

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I just finished Crysis on normal difficulty. I had a blast. Right after finishing it I restarted a new game with Delta difficulty and it's even better. Using your suit, your surroundings and tactics is vital to surviving and makes the game so much more enjoyable. Oh and playing it at 720p at very high settings on my 50" 1080p hdtv is just incredible.

Played COD4 before I picked up crysis but stopped playing halfway because it got so repetitive. I still don't see what the rave is all about with this game. Same exact thing from the very first one - mindless shooting at endless spawning enemies.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: kirilus
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
I LOVE FPS games but Crysis is doing nothing for me.
I play and get bored after about 5 minutes.
I'll finish it but at this rate it's going to take awhile.

After finishing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (or almost finishing, the ending is very long) - I simply can't play Crysis (or other shooters): aiming/combat is horrible in - you can never get a head shot, whereas in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. you only need a good rifle and 1 bullet (and skills...); running/moving is not realistic, storyline is boring, graphics look like you are in a cartoon, motion blur sucks compared to the one in STALKER... Well you get the idea, I hope.

So, no - you are not getting old, because Crysis unfortunately uses the very old idea of running from one point to another and shooting stuff, which can become really boring even after a few minutes. The new generation of games, such as the Shadow of Chernobyl, combine advanced graphics AND interesting storyline AND feel realistic! Crysis is an outdated game despite the extreme hardware requirements.

i've played stalker too. I love stalker, no complaints. About Crysis, what do you mean you can never get a head shot? I can raise hell in that game with a pistol and a silencer, all from head shots. I can run and gun head shots. I'm a pretty seasoned PC FPS'r, so maybe you just aren't up to my level of control and skill (not meant as an insult). Also, I don't understand how the Crysis graphics look like a "cartoon", imho STALKER looks more cartoonish than Crysis. The deal with Crysis and I is that it looks the least like a cartoon than any game i've ever played.

And Crysis isn't just about running from one point to another. Yes, it has checkpoints, and no, it isn't like an RPG in the way that Stalker was, but then again, they are two different games in that regard. I like the Sandbox idea, in that you have a set of objectives, and you get them done however you can. Of course you could say that Crysis is linear in that you go from one objective to another, but then again MOST games are that way. It's called progression. I agree the beauty of Stalker is that is has the RGP element, but the beauty of Crysis is that all you have is objectives. How you achieve them isn't linear at all. I've played through the game several time on Delta, and I'm still finding new ways to get things done.

However, besides the CRYSIS game, there is also the MOD community, which is just amazing. Go to CRYMOD.com and look up CRYRECON:NanoWarrior. It's basically a new game using the engine that incorporates all kinds of stuff not even found in CRYSIS. Such as 3rd person views, command of squad mates, etc.. It's like Crysis meets Ghost Recon.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: jtvang125
I just finished Crysis on normal difficulty. I had a blast. Right after finishing it I restarted a new game with Delta difficulty and it's even better. Using your suit, your surroundings and tactics is vital to surviving and makes the game so much more enjoyable. Oh and playing it at 720p at very high settings on my 50" 1080p hdtv is just incredible.

Played COD4 before I picked up crysis but stopped playing halfway because it got so repetitive. I still don't see what the rave is all about with this game. Same exact thing from the very first one - mindless shooting at endless spawning enemies.

i think its more about the MP than the SP, but I;d still rather play CoD4 SP multiple times than play Crysis once.

kirilus

Feb 7, 2008
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK

i've played stalker too. I love stalker, no complaints. About Crysis, what do you mean you can never get a head shot? I can raise hell in that game with a pistol and a silencer, all from head shots. I can run and gun head shots. I'm a pretty seasoned PC FPS'r, so maybe you just aren't up to my level of control and skill (not meant as an insult). Also, I don't understand how the Crysis graphics look like a "cartoon", imho STALKER looks more cartoonish than Crysis. The deal with Crysis and I is that it looks the least like a cartoon than any game i've ever played.

And Crysis isn't just about running from one point to another. Yes, it has checkpoints, and no, it isn't like an RPG in the way that Stalker was, but then again, they are two different games in that regard. I like the Sandbox idea, in that you have a set of objectives, and you get them done however you can. Of course you could say that Crysis is linear in that you go from one objective to another, but then again MOST games are that way. It's called progression. I agree the beauty of Stalker is that is has the RGP element, but the beauty of Crysis is that all you have is objectives. How you achieve them isn't linear at all. I've played through the game several time on Delta, and I'm still finding new ways to get things done.

However, besides the CRYSIS game, there is also the MOD community, which is just amazing. Go to CRYMOD.com and look up CRYRECON:NanoWarrior. It's basically a new game using the engine that incorporates all kinds of stuff not even found in CRYSIS. Such as 3rd person views, command of squad mates, etc.. It's like Crysis meets Ghost Recon.

My point exactly - Crysis is just another shooter with some freedom elements in quest progression and GSC Game World's STALKER is unique in many aspects especially the combat, task progression elements, and atmosphere. Gameplay intelligently incorporates the fact of Chernobyl disaster and the fiction stories by Stanislaw Lem and Strugatsky brothers as well as the movie Stalker by Andrei Tarkovsky.

As a result, in spite of numerous bugs and imperfections (so much for THQ's quality control), no one can deny that the game is truly great. The Clear Sky prequel is the only game in 2008 that I am really looking forward to.

Here is an interesting quote from wiki: "Beside the use of grenades, NPCs have become much more intelligent; they coordinate and work very well in groups, interact in groups, and with the player. At the Igromir gameshow, no one (including the developers) were able to kill more than two of four bandits armed with AKS-74Us and Sawn-Off Shotguns before dying."

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

i think its more about the MP than the SP, but I;d still rather play CoD4 SP multiple times than play Crysis once.

Same here. Crysis is boring and probably the most over-rated game ever.

kirilus

Feb 7, 2008
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

Same here. Crysis is boring and probably the most over-rated game ever.

I disagree, Crysis takes the second place in the "most overrated game ever" competition... After the pink box or how the marketers called it The Orange Box.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005

and I guess brainless shooters like cod4 get most peoples attention.. the most brainless crap of all time...

Seriously, how people can hate on Crysis and sing praises about COD4 is beyond me. It's so heavily scripted, repetitive and linear that it's nearly ridiculous. It feels like a shooter from 1998 with hordes of respawning enemies rushing at you over and over.

i don't know. i loved CoD4 but couldn't stand to play crysis. crysis was boring as hell to me. probably because there's no story and its exactly the same gameplay and setting as far cry, which was another crappy game.

COD4 has no more story than Crysis and is also just as scripted/repetitive. Did you even play both games? They have the same flaws. The FPS genre hadn't seen a good storyline since Half-Life until Bioshock (and nothing since then has even tried to produce any storyline, they're just standard FPS games, think Doom w/ better graphics)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Eeezee

COD4 has no more story than Crysis and is also just as scripted/repetitive. Did you even play both games? They have the same flaws. The FPS genre hadn't seen a good storyline since Half-Life until Bioshock (and nothing since then has even tried to produce any storyline, they're just standard FPS games, think Doom w/ better graphics)

yes i played both.
i don't why but i played through CoD4 twice and enjoyed it both timea while i played maybe 2-3 hours of crysis and uninstalled it without finishing it. maybe the story in CoD4 is better then? Crysis was just a bore-fest to me.

kirilus

Feb 7, 2008
yes i played both.
i don't why but i played through CoD4 twice and enjoyed it both timea while i played maybe 2-3 hours of crysis and uninstalled it without finishing it. maybe the story in CoD4 is better then? Crysis was just a bore-fest to me.

Don't judge by a personal experience only. Many people prefer to play Minesweeper rather than Crysis for many reasons but it does not make it a better game.