I guess I am getting old

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I like it a lot and I'm not so young anymore. I'm a sucker for good graphics though.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i understand people getting tired of FPS's.. basically, there's only so many ways to do an fps. that said, i enjoyed crysis very much

Dec 30, 2004
how is your rig? Good gfx card? It's worth playing; the graphics just get better and better as the game goes on. Stick with it.

Crysis was one of the few fps games that had enough storyline to keep me interested (as opposed say to Halflife 2 where they give you story in the beginning and at the end to get you to buy the next game).

onlyCOpunk

Platinum Member
May 25, 2003
It appeared to have a lot of potential, but didn't put much effort on the extra powers and such. I just found myself shooting people just like any other fps. I had to turn on God mode to keep my interest and allow me to just run through it.

It's not that great of a game.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I liked the game, VERY pretty, I enjoyed the nano suit game play. Once you go inside the mtn it went down hill. It seemed rushed and they just went in the wrong direction. Over all the first 2/3's of the game I would give a 9. The last 1/3 was a 4.

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
Originally posted by: JBT
I liked the game, VERY pretty, I enjoyed the nano suit game play. Once you go inside the mtn it went down hill. It seemed rushed and they just went in the wrong direction. Over all the first 2/3's of the game I would give a 9. The last 1/3 was a 4.

Agreed. The fight scenes with the aliens were repetitive and frankly pretty easy.

I thought the game as a whole was great. However, I got more and more interested the more i used my nanosuit. I've only played through on medium difficulty, so a lot of what I did in the beginning was just run N gun. But when I got further on and used all of my nanosuit modes constantly, the game got really strategic and interesting.

OP: stick with it...you may like it more than you know.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I didn't like Crysis very much, either. It was very pretty. The powersuit mechanic was interesting, but not exactly ground breaking.

The alien levels were pretty but frustrating. I didn't know where I was going half the time...

Edit: I haven't even played COD4 yet. It's sitting on my desk. I could install it at anytime and play it. I hear it's great, but it feels like the FPS genre hasn't actually changed since the 80s. Bioshock was a huge breath of fresh air only because it provided an amazing storyline (and psychic powers w/ a tommy gun = win)

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
I LOVE FPS games but Crysis is doing nothing for me.
I play and get bored after about 5 minutes.
I'll finish it but at this rate it's going to take awhile.

Let's stick with opinions related to the game people, not to other forum member point's of view, PC Gaming Mod Oakenfold

You're not getting old, it's just that Crysis doesn't bring anything new to the table aside from its visuals.

That's not to say it's bad, it's just fairly vanilla in gameplay terms.

Boztech

May 12, 2004
Originally posted by: ja1484

Let's stick with opinions related to the game people, not to other forum member point's of view, PC Gaming Mod Oakenfold

You're not getting old, it's just that Crysis doesn't bring anything new to the table aside from its visuals.

Between the Nanosuit, in-game customizable weapons, physics, real time lighting, fully destructible environment, and very large, open maps I'd say I have to strongly, strongly disagree.

Everybody loves COD4 and what does it bring to the table? Nothing. Same old glorified Q3 engine, same overly scripted gameplay, just a new setting and a very CS-like multiplayer facet.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
how is your rig? Good gfx card? It's worth playing; the graphics just get better and better as the game goes on. Stick with it.

Crysis was one of the few fps games that had enough storyline to keep me interested (as opposed say to Halflife 2 where they give you story in the beginning and at the end to get you to buy the next game).

My video card is a 8800GTS 640MB.
My rig.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Boztech
Between the Nanosuit, in-game customizable weapons, physics, real time lighting, fully destructible environment, and very large, open maps I'd say I have to strongly, strongly disagree.

Everybody loves COD4 and what does it bring to the table? Nothing. Same old glorified Q3 engine, same overly scripted gameplay, just a new setting and a very CS-like multiplayer facet.

It also has some Serious Sam sized enemies, a more advanced AI than most FPS games, beautiful character models and vehicles (complete with damage zones).

Now just give me a STALKER sequel built with the Crysis engine...

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

cstomizable weapons and large open maps are not new. the environment is partially destructible and not really new. i don't think physics is new and i'm not so sure about real time lighting.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
cstomizable weapons and large open maps are not new. the environment is partially destructible and not really new. i don't think physics is new and i'm not so sure about real time lighting.

The only FPS game with comparable maps is the original Farcry. Having 2 out of however many FPS games get released on an average still constitutes a new or, at the very least, extremely underutilized feature. STALKER would be the last game with even semi-large maps.

Customizable weapons are not new, but are not a norm. Especially on the fly customizations. Most games allow for a pre-level load out, very few allow for the on the fly changes with STALKER having some.

The environment being partially destructible is a lot newer than most games. There are very few FPS games where you can drive a truck through an entire building. I use the term "very few" because I honestly can't think of another, but don't want to rule something out that I'm just not thinking about. Like wise, when you destroy a tree, you can break it from the point of damage, multiple times, I've never seen this done either. The effect is incredibly cool when fire is opened up on a forest, cutting trees down at the exact height of fire. The physics of destruction is also relevant, such as getting crushed by a falling tree.

Real time lighting is not new, but then again, the only FPS with impressive real time lighting pre-Crysis was the Doom3 engine. I'd say the Doom3 engine still 1ups Crysis but the fact that Crysis does it in a large outdoor environment is pretty impressive.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

Nanosuit: Deus Ex had augs back in 2000. They implemented it in a different way, but it's the same gimmick, new menu. Not new.

Customizable weapons? Please. Putting a silencer or a grenade launcher on a weapon is not "customizing". Go look at BioShock if you want to see a game from this year that had customizable weapons.

The rest of the stuff you list has all been done before by other games, and other than the open maps, they don't affect gameplay. Your listing of graphical items like lighting is pointless because I did mention the graphics being spiffy.

And I didn't like COD4 either.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: DannyLove
nah, its not you getting old, the game just sucks.

how am i not surprised this guy managed to find his way into this thread. Just stick with the Wow threads and save everyone the grief of reading your crap.

Danny, let's tone it down. PC Gaming Mod Oakenfold

he actually doesnt post in my WoW thread often at all

and IMO crysis was medicore at best

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I mostly enjoyed turning on cheats and blowing things up just for the eye candy :p

cboath

Nov 19, 2007
Originally posted by: JBT

I'd echo those sentiments. Kinda paralleled Far Cry though. Good up until the last couple levels then the story takes the strange turn. The wandering around the mountain was interesting at first, but after a couple minutes I wanted something more of that. A LOT of wandering to kill 10 ghost aliens to get out. The get from the mountain to the ship part was ok, but the ship part just sucked.

I played the whole game at essentially high levels without much issue. Then on the same machine I can't even play the last level smoothly on low. Bad Q&A on that one. Even knocking down the settings I was falling through the deck and whatnot. Aggravating as hell. Just poor everything on the final level. Great up until the mountain. They should have had you enter the top of the mountain, because it was all downhill from there :) Sorry, couldn't resist.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
I love Crysis. I want to add more goodies to my PC because of Crysis. Crysis is my Halo. I hated Halo, but now I finally understand the hype that the Halo lovers enjoyed. I give it 10/10, awesome game.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003

I agree 100%. Crysis is a amazing game all round IMO. Graphically, gameplay, EVERYTHING!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I have only played the demo to this point, but really liked it. Just waiting till I upgrade my graphics card, and buy a 37"+ 1080p TV to use with my PC, before picking it up used. This is one I want to enjoy at res and settings my current system can't handle.

For myself, the ability to play different styles, is what made the demo. It gives me a chance to create new ways of approaching the same fight, and see which work the best, or produce the most entertaining results.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
I have only played the demo to this point, but really liked it. Just waiting till I upgrade my graphics card, and buy a 37"+ 1080p TV to use with my PC, before picking it up used. This is one I want to enjoy at res and settings my current system can't handle.

For myself, the ability to play different styles, is what made the demo. It gives me a chance to create new ways of approaching the same fight, and see which work the best, or produce the most entertaining results.

We think alike.
My problem is I've got the 37" 1080P set, I just don't want to blow an additional 2K to get the Graphics and settings where I want to see them. Until then Crysis sits un-opened (Christmas Gift). I may be waiting quite some time....(I want to run it on 1 sub $300 GFX card @ High, 1080p, above 50 FPS). Yes I am a cheap gamer with a gorgeous monitor.

;)

Back on topic:
I did enjoy the demo.

kirilus

Feb 7, 2008

After finishing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (or almost finishing, the ending is very long) - I simply can't play Crysis (or other shooters): aiming/combat is horrible in - you can never get a head shot, whereas in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. you only need a good rifle and 1 bullet (and skills...); running/moving is not realistic, storyline is boring, graphics look like you are in a cartoon, motion blur sucks compared to the one in STALKER... Well you get the idea, I hope.

So, no - you are not getting old, because Crysis unfortunately uses the very old idea of running from one point to another and shooting stuff, which can become really boring even after a few minutes. The new generation of games, such as the Shadow of Chernobyl, combine advanced graphics AND interesting storyline AND feel realistic! Crysis is an outdated game despite the extreme hardware requirements.

zorrt

Sep 12, 2005
Naa you're not getting old. Only reason why I bothered to finish Crysis is purely because of eyecandy. Other then that it's just a pretty average game in my books. But then again I prefer games like COD4 and GOW and not so much sandbox FPS. I suppose if I liked sandbox FPS it would be a great game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I just got my 8800GT so I may try COD4 and Crysis. Am not too enthusiastic about either.

The OP shouldnt feel bad. I'm 28 and started PC Gaming back in the days of Wolfenstein 3D. I remember upgrading from the PC speaker to an actual soundcard. Good times!

But now the magic is gone and I just search for something that makes me happy. I no longer get a special thrill when aquiring a new game. It looks like there will be a KotoR 3 someday, and it seems American McGees Grimm is on the horizon, so I may get the magic back.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
nah, its not you getting old, the game just sucks.

and I guess brainless shooters like cod4 get most peoples attention.. the most brainless crap of all time...

Seriously, how people can hate on Crysis and sing praises about COD4 is beyond me. It's so heavily scripted, repetitive and linear that it's nearly ridiculous. It feels like a shooter from 1998 with hordes of respawning enemies rushing at you over and over.