I Grew Up a Hunter

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
That is a stupid emotion-driven argument. Let's talk about what kills more people, not what you feel about the tool. If guns are meant simply to kill people, then they're doing a piss poor job of it when compared to may other things. Are you saying that the 99.99999% of us that do not use our guns to kill people are using them wrongly?
Got a link that hammers and bats result in more homicides and suicides than rifles?

Regardless, you can't kill 15 kids and cause life altering injuries to another 15 in one go with a fucking bat.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I dont think we can have a reasonable talk about "gun reform" until we decide what "gun reform" is. There are so many opinions.
Isn't part of having a reasonable discussion about gun reform deciding what it should actually be?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
You are creating an argument I am not making and attacking that self-created argument as if you are proving something.
No, I am not. I'm addressing your argument exactly. We talk about gun control you bring up smoking and hammers. This is very analogous to us talking about immigration and someone bringing up technology causing more job loss.

Yes, many things can kill someone, but we are not talking about trying to stop all death. We are talking about how to cut down on the number of people killed by guns. Laws against hammers and smoking does not stop gun deaths. We must address each thing in it's own way. Laws that prevent seconds hand smoke will not stop mass murders with guns.
I am not saying because we cannot completely solve it we should not do nothing. I AM saying that you guys attack the 2A unrealistically and want to harm all of our rights for what often results in no gain (Assault weapons ban immediately comes to mind).
The thing is your argument didn't say any of that. If you are wanting to have a discussion on the relative merit of constitutional rights versus the lives of children that is a conversation we can have. There is some merit to asking how much freedom do we want to give up to make society safer. I tend to fall on the 'giving up freedom for safety gets you neither' side of that argument, but this is a case where I think the founding fathers got it very wrong. But until now you have not made that argument. Your argument has clearly been about not limiting freedom to own guns because it will not stop all death. That is why everyone is responding to your arguments that way. If you say something and almost everyone misunderstands you, that is your fault, not your audiences.
You want to know why the NRA is so reactive and overbloated today?
Because they are an organization that is intended to protect the interests of a billion dollar firearm industry.
It is because of people like you and the unfair, unrealistic, and unproductive limits you want to impose on those of us that exercise our 2A rights.
I think that multiple societies around the world prove you wrong. Until you can address why that is true, then you are on the losing side of this argument. Even if what we do does not work it is a step, we learn from it and do something else instead. And we need to do something, this is a problem that is getting worse. You and your NRA supporters are blocking any attempt at any reform.As long as you fight this every death that could have been prevented is on your hands.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
And of course like the drug war minorities and those without affluenza will be the ones serving most of those 30 year draconian sentences because draconian sentences work so well for the war on drugs,

and of course we need to make sure that we round up all those evil guns so lets repeal the 4th amendment so these guys can do a door to door search

0711_br1.jpg

so we can all feel safe because if you are an honest white law abiding citizen you should have nothing to fear of the police.

P.S. pay no attention to the black guy on the ground there, he is just sacrificing some of his rights so you all white people can feel safe and secure.

Say maybe that guy did something wrong? It looks like those people partying on what looks like some kind of electrical box are carrying on without a problem...

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
You all are fucking retarded if you think I’m a sock puppet/separate account for anyone.

Which if you are paying attention makes YOU look more foolish, which isn’t saying a lot more than what we already think about you.

Lol who is this? someone who just left? I mean normally one does not join the board and start cussing.

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
Do you guys realize that the number of people killed by all rifles (including AK's and AR's) is less than the number of people murdered by blunt objects such as hammers and bats? This is exactly the problem with the left when it comes to talking about sensible gun restrictions. You blow things so far out of proportion and want to penalize 10's of millions of gun owners over something that is less than a drop in the bucket, statistically.

You provide me with one report of a mass killing with a baseball bat or hammer and I'll follow you around defending the fuck out of you and your stupid as fuck notion that everyone should be able to own a firearm capable of taking out a dozen people in short order. Do people drown in a 5 gallon bucket of water, yep there are really stupid fucking people who have no common sense. I'm not saying that ALL firearms should be outlawed, just the ones that can kill more than 6 before needing to reload, you know to give those folks in a trapped room a fighting chance of getting out alive.

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
That isn't the argument at all. The argument is that the left attacks the 2A and holds it to much different and unrealistic standard than they hold anything else to, even things that kill us in much greater numbers. You do this, and maybe don't realize it, because you are fed propaganda and are constantly looking to attack the 2A.
Its not just the left wanting to limit firearms, but as with all your other posts there's always a part missing.

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
I was talking about rifles specifically. All guns kill, as you say, somewhere in the ~11000 innocent victims a year. Rifles are a tiny minority of that (~300-400 homicides a year).
Way to move the fucking goal post. IF the conversation was JUST about long guns than you were the only one aware of it. Everyone else was talking about GUNS, period. And you wonder why there can be no honest discussion about gun control, YOU are the reason, you and your kind.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I AM saying that you guys attack the 2A unrealistically and want to harm all of our rights for what often results in no gain (Assault weapons ban immediately comes to mind).

I think it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that there's "no gain" when the only example provided was arguably a mere "band-aid solution" especially compared to solutions mentioned in this thread. Frankly, I think that's one of the largest problems with US politics right now. It's nigh impossible to get any real change through the system, so we usually just get weakened measures that are either (a) good with the bad, or (b) just a bit weak.

For example, the Affordable Care Act has good measures such as requiring insurance companies to not deny someone based upon pre-existing conditions, but the problem is that it did nothing to curb medical costs, which lead to increased insurance rates, lower coverage, or both. (You don't think an insurance company is going to let people with pre-existing conditions affect their bottom line, do you?) There are arguably far better solutions than the ACA, which may even include parts or all of the ACA, but they'll never get through. The second aspect (not as potent) is what the Federal Assault Weapons Ban that you mention could be classified as. Albeit, if you look at the numbers in the studies section, they may not have changed much during the ban, but jeez... they went up like crazy afterward. Albeit, without proper study, that could be correlation and not causation.