I got yelled at by a bum

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Platypus
I don't think most people realize that a large majority of transients have severe mental issues even if it's not obvious.

qft. But this is ATOT where black and white world views prevail.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: jdoggg12
-bum
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bum
1. a person who avoids work and sponges on others; loafer; idler.
2. a tramp, hobo, or derelict.

I used the term accurately, the connotations of the word are on you.

On more than one occasion I have either given, or been with someone who has given a bum money on the premise that they would use it for food . On many of those occasions, they went right in to the store as we walked in or pumped our gas and bought cigarettes or alcohol. How is it stupid or prejudicial to remember how the money i saw given away was wasted so many times? And then apply those experiences to future dealings?

Who the hell are you to say that it isn't what happened. I don't come on here to make stuff up, i do it to either vent or tell an amusing story, if you don't believe it so what.

As far as the mexicans lined up. Yea, i'm a racist alright. I'm half mexican and among that half there is a range from field workers to corporate executives. Its no secret that here in CA that mexican workers will do just about anything for cheap. If you've never heard of the migrant lines waiting to be picked up for any kind of work, you're ignorant.

Yea, i didn't struggle like some of my family had/has to, they worked hard so i wouldn't have to. I worked while playing sports in HS and college and bought my own car and paid for the 2nd half of my college life 100% on my own. If i wanted something I worked for it and figured out a way to save up for it. If thats growing up with a silver spoon, then yea... i'm a rich snob.

Lacks empathy? Where was the lack of empathy? I offered to pay him $20 to wash my car or just give him free food. Asking him to do something for the money I was going to give him makes me an asshole? Please, step down off that pedestal.

And holier than thou? Once again, you reek of hypocrisy.

I feel sorry for you "doggg." I really do. Maybe when you grow up you will understand. To be so blind, young, stupid, and closed-minded is really sad. :( Its even worse when you try to make excuses for such behavior.

BTW, i ran into a chick that looked *just* like Danna Garcia today. She gave me a look and asked for a fin, so i told her she could lick my balls! Guess what? She did! Right there on the street! Stupid mexican slut! Its cool though, my aunt's, husband's, girlfriend's, brother's, boyfriend is from guatemala so i can talk all the shit i want about mexican sluts. Stupid mexican sluts! Huh, huh, yea, huh. I are funnier then your are too! Huh, yea...

BTW, since the intarwebs are so bestest i can due that two:

bum1 (bum) pronunciation n.
1. A tramp; a vagrant.
2. A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.
3. An incompetent, insignificant, or obnoxious person: The batter called the pitcher a bum.
4. One who is devoted to a particular activity or milieu: a beach bum.

I know what you meant. ;) But you can try to recant now that someone called you on it. Lets see if the mods agree.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Once had a bum who came up to me in a Home Depot parking lot, he asked for some change saying how he was a war vet in Vietnam and Iraq... I declined and he went off raving about how I should die of cancer... I was like WTF?

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
I saw a man with a will work for food sign. I offered him an onion to paint my house. He gave me the bird.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: minendo
Your post screams BS.
Agreed.
This sounds like the time George Constanza said he zinged a guy on the street.
Jerry's girlfriend looks at him and asks what the reply was.

"Well, sweetheart, I didn't actually say it to his face. ;)"
"But you just said that you did. :confused:"

EDIT:
I have to agree with many people here. Many folks begging on the road in Eugene, OR. Every time I offer to pay for one night in a hotel and a meal and get him hooked up with a job at my company (we are always about 50 people short) they usually give me shit.

If they were just nice about it and declined politely I would be happy. But when they yell at me it takes away all my sympathy and then I hope they just disappear and never come back.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: GenHoth
Originally posted by: DefDC

Made up fact: For every 10,000 mentally ill bums, there's probably 1 sneaky slacker. I'm sure I'm not far off the mark. Begging for a living is NOT EASY and won't pay the bill very well.

Heh, good thing you put that made up tag in there. You obviously don't live on the south side of Chicago! On my block there are several individuals who are always found outside the same restaurant begging. None of them have mental illness, but they make good money from to foot traffic on the block. Unfortunately there are still some who actually are homeless (I see the same guy asleep on a bench when I walk to work everyday) or mentally ill, the problem has become trying to sort out those who deserve your sympathy from those who are along for the ride.

I live in South Bend. I spend plenty of time in Chicago. I've spent time in New York. How do you know they aren't mentally ill? If you make your money begging on the street, obviously you have some serious problems. They guy sleeping on the bench is probably safer sleeping in the day in public not having to worry about some teenager setting him on fire at night.

If you had the option of not working, but just had to beg for food and money, would you do it? Would you consider it an option?

Meh.. I'm not arguing this anymore.

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
I NEVER give them money. About the 3 months ago, I've started asking them for money when they ask me.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: homercles337
-bum
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bum
1. a person who avoids work and sponges on others; loafer; idler.
2. a tramp, hobo, or derelict.

I used the term accurately, the connotations of the word are on you.

On more than one occasion I have either given, or been with someone who has given a bum money on the premise that they would use it for food . On many of those occasions, they went right in to the store as we walked in or pumped our gas and bought cigarettes or alcohol. How is it stupid or prejudicial to remember how the money i saw given away was wasted so many times? And then apply those experiences to future dealings?

Who the hell are you to say that it isn't what happened. I don't come on here to make stuff up, i do it to either vent or tell an amusing story, if you don't believe it so what.

As far as the mexicans lined up. Yea, i'm a racist alright. I'm half mexican and among that half there is a range from field workers to corporate executives. Its no secret that here in CA that mexican workers will do just about anything for cheap. If you've never heard of the migrant lines waiting to be picked up for any kind of work, you're ignorant.

Yea, i didn't struggle like some of my family had/has to, they worked hard so i wouldn't have to. I worked while playing sports in HS and college and bought my own car and paid for the 2nd half of my college life 100% on my own. If i wanted something I worked for it and figured out a way to save up for it. If thats growing up with a silver spoon, then yea... i'm a rich snob.

Lacks empathy? Where was the lack of empathy? I offered to pay him $20 to wash my car or just give him free food. Asking him to do something for the money I was going to give him makes me an asshole? Please, step down off that pedestal.

And holier than thou? Once again, you reek of hypocrisy.

I feel sorry for you "doggg." I really do. Maybe when you grow up you will understand. To be so blind, young, stupid, and closed-minded is really sad. :( Its even worse when you try to make excuses for such behavior.

BTW, i ran into a chick that looked *just* like Danna Garcia today. She gave me a look and asked for a fin, so i told her she could lick my balls! Guess what? She did! Right there on the street! Stupid mexican slut! Its cool though, my aunt's, husband's, girlfriend's, brother's, boyfriend is from guatemala so i can talk all the shit i want about mexican sluts. Stupid mexican sluts! Huh, huh, yea, huh. I are funnier then your are too! Huh, yea...

BTW, since the intarwebs are so bestest i can due that two:

bum1 (bum) pronunciation n.
1. A tramp; a vagrant.
2. A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others.
3. An incompetent, insignificant, or obnoxious person: The batter called the pitcher a bum.
4. One who is devoted to a particular activity or milieu: a beach bum.

I know what you meant. ;) But you can try to recant now that someone called you on it. Lets see if the mods agree.

How was he blind, young, stupid and closed-minded? Do you pass out money to every homeless person you see?

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
well, here is my personal experience to give you a different spin on wel.. homeless people.

This was way back in 2001, when winter was freezing cold in Atlanta. I was terribly unprepared for this kind of climate, and refused to go outside for the most part. But hey, you gotta get groceries to eat when the cafeteria is closed. On my way back from a BP trip, I saw a guy covered in frost from top to bottom. To think that I was shivering from cold just for stepping out of the store... it really made me cringe. The guy approached me and asked me for change, and I told him I had nothing on me (I really didnt, only had a debit card on me). Instead, I offered him some food I just picked up. He was so greatful and thanked me - even shooked my hands for it :Q Well, I dont care what he did to put himself in that miserable condition when he shows so much gratitude.. Really felt it for the fella :( That was one memorable incident for me.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: KB
American bums are spoiled and have become real snobs. To get genuine thankful bums you have to go to some Asian countries.

lol, how can I get one of these Genuine-Thankful-Asian bums?

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
Originally posted by: jjzelinski
Originally posted by: KB
American bums are spoiled and have become real snobs. To get genuine thankful bums you have to go to some Asian countries.

lol, how can I get one of these Genuine-Thankful-Asian bums?

dont listen to him, asian bums are overrated

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Portland is a bum haven it's not even funny.
Recently three bums started camping at the parking lot of a complex next door and around then, I'm seeing cars with smashed out windows in the area almost every day.

I've had my car broken into twice, once the guy stole the garage door opener to get into the complex parking lot so he can steal more.
I also caught a bum breaking into the recycling room using slim jims. It's not hard to figure out that they somehow obtain marijuana, alcohol etc, yet they have no job, therefore the money comes from breaking into cars and probably listing stolen crap on sale on Craigslist from Multnomah County library.

The city council is just too sympathetic of the bums. Because of these concerns, I don't want bums living in my neighborhood, but the police basically says "unless the property owner complains directly, the bums can stay on private property"

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
I've given change a couple times, and $2 to a guy in a fast food place who said he needed money for a bus fare, only to see him again a couple months later asking me for money.

I've heard that San Francisco has some pretty aggressive homeless people there.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: homercles337
So I was driving to lunch the other day and I saw this bum (arrogance, stupidity, and a complete lack of compassion) with a sign asking for money. Now after seeing bums (same) go straight to the liqueur store after getting free money (stupidity and prejudicial), i wasn't about to just give him money. I like to help people though. (lie, unless they are "bums" wanting to wash some assholes car right?)

So he's on the passenger side corner and i roll down my window as he walks up, "Hey man, you got any change?"

"I got $20 you can have for washing my car or I can just give you a can of soup with a pop top" I told him. (blatant lie. The real story: He approached your car and you shunned him. He is a "bum" after all. Right?)

"You little bastard (embellishment, aka a lie. Intention: To make your lies below look "ok."), all i want is some change. I don't have time to be washing peoples cars!"

I looked at him like :confused: and said "You're right, i'll think about you sleeping in a bush while i'm in my comfy bed tonight watching a big screen TV. Be a little more courteous and you might someday afford the box my tv came in."(clearly a lie. If true you are the most inconsiderate little e-thug here.)

When did bums become indignant? I just wanted to offer the guy an honest way to make the money I was going to give him. (lie and embellishment. You wanted to construct a "story" to post on ATOT) Hell, a few blocks away theres 25 mexicans (more arrogance and stupidity) lined up to do the same job for $5! (more lies)

I dont think i need to say more. Take your stick out of your ass and your silver spoon out of your mouth. As far as im concerned youre trash, the worst kind that wants to feel better about himself by looking down on others. Is this what you god wants you to do?

lol@thereferencetogod

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Get off your high horse. He didn't want your money, roll up your window and drive off. Like he's supposed to fall down on his knees and thank you for letting him wash your car? He's a freethinking human being just like you, with just as much right to make stupid decisions.
Don't pretend like you're any better than him just because your life turned out more comfortably.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: tfinch2
I told one to get a job when I was little.

I did too, and I feel awful whenever I think about it. Most of the homeless are mentally ill.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
my father-in-law tried to give a homeless guy in san francisco a nice coat when it was cold one day
the dude said he couldn't take it cause its too nice and people wouldn't give him money

I think most of the people are scamming for drug money or are lazy though, and give homeless people a bad name... for instance the ones who turn down clothing or food and just want cash.

Personally I've only ever helped by buying homeless people things, one guy had a flat on his bike, and he offered to wash our car so he could get some money towards a new tire.
We told him we'd gladly give him a lift to a bike store and have it fixed up and pay in full for him. He accepted and was happy to have his bike working again.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I was about to say wasn't this posted a couple months ago.

We have bums on every corner here. Many are getting more and more brave. A few days ago at the light to the interstate a bike rider was walking his bike up the overpass. The bum ran over with his sign in front of the rider presenting it repeatedly.

The freaking biker reached behind his bike and pulled what looked like a golf club with no club on it and knocked the bums sign over the railing then chased him into traffic.

I wanted to stay and see WTF happened but since then that bum or any other bum hasn't been on that corner.

Nothing was in the paper about anything either.

Last year we had two in a boxing match in the middle of an 16 lane intersection during rush hour.