I got yelled at by a bum

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: her209
I especially like the ones that come into the fast food places when you're eating and they beg for money to buy food. You offer them to buy them a meal and they turn it down.

WTF!?

d-d-double

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
I especially like the ones that come into the fast food places when you're eating and they beg for money to buy food. You offer them to buy them a meal and they turn it down.

WTF!?

i did that one time, gave him a bag with burger, fries and a pie along with the want ads with the daily work - daily pay ad circled. he started a fight with me and got kicked out. i thought it was funny. i dont think most of the "bums" you see panhandling are even homeless anymore. they have just found a good way to gain from other peoples sympathy. i never give change out, and real money doesnt ever see those guys/ girls.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Platypus
I don't think most people realize that a large majority of transients have severe mental issues even if it's not obvious.

Have any studies or proof to back that up?

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: glutenberg
I don't think most people realize that a large majority of transients have severe mental issues even if it's not obvious.

Yes. See NYC in the late 90s. Went from bums on every corner to no bums. They gave the homeless the mental help they needed.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001

When this happens, I feel like getting out of the car and physically destroying them, man this angers me.

funkymatt

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2005
I never give money to bums. Food, i have. When I was in milwaukee taking my MEPS i had an evening to kill and took a dude out for dinner at subway. He was actually kinda cool and was just in some hard times. and gave me some pretty good life advice.

not ALL bums are bad.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Aikouka
I've never seen a story of a bum actually getting out of the "rags" so to speak... anyone have one to possibly cheer up the thread? :p

That's because the ones who want to make something of their lives aren't begging for money on the street...they're taking advantage of the many social improvement programs that the country has to offer. The ones on the street are usually mentally ill and therefore can't help it, drug addicts, or realize that they make a lot more money begging than they would in a real job (unusual).

I was walking down the street once, and a bum asked me if I had a light. I don't smoke, so I just kept walking and said "No I don't, sorry man." As I crossed the street he screamed at me "Yeah you DO you lying SONUVABITCH!." I assume he was crazy.

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: minendo
Your post screams BS.

Haha...no it doesn't...up here in Anchorage (where have a terribly panhandling problem) "bums" do that all the time.

Case in point, my buddy and I were at a usual "bum" intersection...the bum came up to him (buddy was the driver and had his window rolled down) and said, "I just got done drinking all my beer. I need 88 cents to go buy a burrito" (Taco Bell is right across the street). This wasn't her (was the bum was a she) ASKING for 88 cents, she expected that we give her 88 cents.

My buddy...being a bit of a white-supremacist said, "get the fvck away from my truck, grab your clan, and go back to your village."

While very cruel...the man speaks the truth...in a perfect world...they'd leave us regular folk alone.

marrr

Jan 23, 2004
when i went to virgina some bum had a sign saying "im keeping it real i need a bud light" greatest sign ever lol

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000

I don't know if it's technically a "large majority" or not, but I do know that many homeless individuals are often suffering from some type of psychological disorder. I'll see if I can find some hard numbers somewhere.

Edit: The numbers for "mental illness" that I seem to come up with are anywhere from 10-35%. However, I also believe I remember seeing substance abuse estimates ranging from 50-70% of the homeless population, so that begs the question as to how "mental illness" was operationally defined in the studies finding 10-35% prevalence rates.

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007
The funniest sign I have seen was in Seattle when the All-Star game was there. The guy was outside the stadium about 100 yards with a sign that said "I need money to buy weed and cheetos".

In all seriousness I agree with whoever said we should use part of the money we waste on the War on Drugs to help mentally ill transients. Also, I agree with whoever said we aren't a first world country because we leave so many behind. It's amazing how we can just spend our time on such trivial things while forgetting that everyone is a human being with inalienable rights.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: jdoggg12
So I was driving to lunch the other day and I saw this bum (arrogance, stupidity, and a complete lack of compassion) with a sign asking for money. Now after seeing bums (same) go straight to the liqueur store after getting free money (stupidity and prejudicial), i wasn't about to just give him money. I like to help people though. (lie, unless they are "bums" wanting to wash some assholes car right?)

So he's on the passenger side corner and i roll down my window as he walks up, "Hey man, you got any change?"

"I got $20 you can have for washing my car or I can just give you a can of soup with a pop top" I told him. (blatant lie. The real story: He approached your car and you shunned him. He is a "bum" after all. Right?)

"You little bastard (embellishment, aka a lie. Intention: To make your lies below look "ok."), all i want is some change. I don't have time to be washing peoples cars!"

I looked at him like :confused: and said "You're right, i'll think about you sleeping in a bush while i'm in my comfy bed tonight watching a big screen TV. Be a little more courteous and you might someday afford the box my tv came in."(clearly a lie. If true you are the most inconsiderate little e-thug here.)

When did bums become indignant? I just wanted to offer the guy an honest way to make the money I was going to give him. (lie and embellishment. You wanted to construct a "story" to post on ATOT) Hell, a few blocks away theres 25 mexicans (more arrogance and stupidity) lined up to do the same job for $5! (more lies)

I dont think i need to say more. Take your stick out of your ass and your silver spoon out of your mouth. As far as im concerned youre trash, the worst kind that wants to feel better about himself by looking down on others. Is this what you god wants you to do?

Rowboat

May 25, 2007
A friend of mine was in process of being approached by a bum one day, as the guy got close he looks at the bum and says "Hey man you got any spare change?"

Bum was not happy.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Whisper

I don't know if it's technically a "large majority" or not, but I do know that many homeless individuals are often suffering from some type of psychological disorder. I'll see if I can find some hard numbers somewhere.

Edit: The numbers for "mental illness" that I seem to come up with are anywhere from 10-35%. However, I also believe I remember seeing substance abuse estimates ranging from 50-70% of the homeless population, so that begs the question as to how "mental illness" was operationally defined in the studies finding 10-35% prevalence rates.

The illness is called "Lazy As$hole Syndrome"

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Whisper

The reason I asked was because I was curious as to whether it's a mental illness that drives them to substance abuse and eventually homelessness or if it's substance abuse over a long period that drives them into the streets and thus a development of mental illness. I'm sure I'm leaving out a multitude of scenarios.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Rowboat
A friend of mine was in process of being approached by a bum one day, as the guy got close he looks at the bum and says "Hey man you got any spare change?"

Bum was not happy.

The old bait and switch.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Originally posted by: homercles337
So I was driving to lunch the other day and I saw this bum (arrogance, stupidity, and a complete lack of compassion) with a sign asking for money. Now after seeing bums (same) go straight to the liqueur store after getting free money (stupidity and prejudicial), i wasn't about to just give him money. I like to help people though. (lie, unless they are "bums" wanting to wash some assholes car right?)

So he's on the passenger side corner and i roll down my window as he walks up, "Hey man, you got any change?"

"I got $20 you can have for washing my car or I can just give you a can of soup with a pop top" I told him. (blatant lie. The real story: He approached your car and you shunned him. He is a "bum" after all. Right?)

"You little bastard (embellishment, aka a lie. Intention: To make your lies below look "ok."), all i want is some change. I don't have time to be washing peoples cars!"

I looked at him like :confused: and said "You're right, i'll think about you sleeping in a bush while i'm in my comfy bed tonight watching a big screen TV. Be a little more courteous and you might someday afford the box my tv came in."(clearly a lie. If true you are the most inconsiderate little e-thug here.)

When did bums become indignant? I just wanted to offer the guy an honest way to make the money I was going to give him. (lie and embellishment. You wanted to construct a "story" to post on ATOT) Hell, a few blocks away theres 25 mexicans (more arrogance and stupidity) lined up to do the same job for $5! (more lies)

I dont think i need to say more. Take your stick out of your ass and your silver spoon out of your mouth. As far as im concerned youre trash, the worst kind that wants to feel better about himself by looking down on others. Is this what you god wants you to do?
Hahaha, ok... you make all those comments and call ME an e-thug. Get over yourself. You just cast just as many assumptions about me as I did to him. Go be e-hardcore elsewhere you hypocrite.

Its posts like yours that make thisso funny and true

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: cherrytwist
The wife and I were in New Orleans (pre-Katrina) and there were quite a few transient teenagers, particularly in Jackson Square.

One asked us for some change while were entering a liquor store "so I can buy a gun and make some REAL money" :thumbsup:

We gave her a couple of bucks just because she was entertaining and made us chuckle.

At least our bums do SOMETHING for your money.

Protip for those visiting New Orleans, if someone tries to bet you they know where you got your shoes at or that they can knock down a brick wall don't waste your money.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004

Hahaha, ok... you make all those comments and call ME an e-thug. Get over yourself. You just cast just as many assumptions about me as I did to him. Go be e-hardcore elsewhere you hypocrite.

Its posts like yours that make thisso funny and true

Are you like 16 or something? I drew logical conclusions about who YOU are as a person based on your OP. You like to proselytize and preach in other threads (usually "holier than thou" kind of shit), but underneath all your hypocrisy you are just a stupid kid (or an old immature fool) who also happens to be a racist and a person that completely lacks empathy and any experience in the real world (if you do, its been handed to you). If ONE of my comments was not true then prove it. Thats a hell of a reply given that i made you look like a fool in your own thread, or did you forget about this?

Ban for stupidity, arrogance, and lying.

Explain why for each point please, oh god of enlightenment and e-intelligence

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: minendo
Your post screams BS.

Your post just screams naive.

Ban for stupidity, arrogance, and lying.

I think you just signed your own death warrant. ;)

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
-bum
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bum
1. a person who avoids work and sponges on others; loafer; idler.
2. a tramp, hobo, or derelict.

I used the term accurately, the connotations of the word are on you.

On more than one occasion I have either given, or been with someone who has given a bum money on the premise that they would use it for food . On many of those occasions, they went right in to the store as we walked in or pumped our gas and bought cigarettes or alcohol. How is it stupid or prejudicial to remember how the money i saw given away was wasted so many times? And then apply those experiences to future dealings?

Who the hell are you to say that it isn't what happened. I don't come on here to make stuff up, i do it to either vent or tell an amusing story, if you don't believe it so what.

As far as the mexicans lined up. Yea, i'm a racist alright. I'm half mexican and among that half there is a range from field workers to corporate executives. Its no secret that here in CA that mexican workers will do just about anything for cheap. If you've never heard of the migrant lines waiting to be picked up for any kind of work, you're ignorant.

Yea, i didn't struggle like some of my family had/has to, they worked hard so i wouldn't have to. I worked while playing sports in HS and college and bought my own car and paid for the 2nd half of my college life 100% on my own. If i wanted something I worked for it and figured out a way to save up for it. If thats growing up with a silver spoon, then yea... i'm a rich snob.

Lacks empathy? Where was the lack of empathy? I offered to pay him $20 to wash my car or just give him free food. Asking him to do something for the money I was going to give him makes me an asshole? Please, step down off that pedestal.

And holier than thou? Once again, you reek of hypocrisy.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Originally posted by: grohl
dont waste time on bums

ignore, ignore, ignore

Be careful!! That word screams "arrogance, stupidity, and a complete lack of compassion"

:laugh:

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
for those that want a good story about a bum that made it check the somethingawful forums archives (i don't have an account or else i'd try to link it).

There was a guy in toronto that was homeless (punk lifestyle type homeless) since he was something like 13yo, and when he was 18 via public libraries and such he ended up being a web developer/graphic artist and he and another homeless friend got an apartment together and really turned their life around. His thread in some ways made me wish i was homeless at some point so i could appreciate what I have, and his money saving tips were great

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: DefDC

Made up fact: For every 10,000 mentally ill bums, there's probably 1 sneaky slacker. I'm sure I'm not far off the mark. Begging for a living is NOT EASY and won't pay the bill very well.

Heh, good thing you put that made up tag in there. You obviously don't live on the south side of Chicago! On my block there are several individuals who are always found outside the same restaurant begging. None of them have mental illness, but they make good money from to foot traffic on the block. Unfortunately there are still some who actually are homeless (I see the same guy asleep on a bench when I walk to work everyday) or mentally ill, the problem has become trying to sort out those who deserve your sympathy from those who are along for the ride.