I got yelled at by a bum

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
I usually don't even acknowledge them. Taking out your wallet and looking for money to spare is begging to get mugged here in the city.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I once gave an Arby's meal to a bum holding a "will work for food" sign on the side of a highway exit ramp. He then asked me for $20. Ugg.

Aug 23, 2000
Last bum that tried to get money from me got an ear full. I played the loud obnoxious jerk card on him. loudly" Oh so I work all day long busting my ass to make money and you just want me to give you a couple of bucks? I will not buy crack from you. leave me alone"

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Originally posted by: minendo
Your post screams BS.

Why? B/c of my long winded response? This was at a light while i waited for it to turn, its not like i was in a rush. I was just so mad that I offered to help the guy (and get a car wash out of it) and he retorts back at me like that! I shouldn't have rubbed it in his face, but it was pretty infuriating how he could claim to need money, but then scoff at being asked to earn it.

Haha, I was asked why i had soup in my car too - i usually keep a couple in my car for lunch when i travel. Progresso pop-top ftw

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've never seen a story of a bum actually getting out of the "rags" so to speak... anyone have one to possibly cheer up the thread? :p

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: her209
I especially like the ones that come into the fast food places when you're eating and they beg for money to buy food. You offer them to buy them a meal and they turn it down.

WTF!?

I offered to do this once too..and they said no...wth ?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: jdoggg12
So I was driving to lunch the other day and I saw this bum with a sign asking for money. Now after seeing bums go straight to the liqueur store after getting free money, i wasn't about to just give him money. I like to help people though.

So he's on the passenger side corner and i roll down my window as he walks up, "Hey man, you got any change?"

"I got $20 you can have for washing my car or I can just give you a can of soup with a pop top" I told him.

"You little bastard, all i want is some change. I don't have time to be washing peoples cars!"

I looked at him like :confused: and said "You're right, i'll think about you sleeping in a bush while i'm in my comfy bed tonight watching a big screen TV. Be a little more courteous and you might someday afford the box my tv came in."

When did bums become indignant? I just wanted to offer the guy an honest way to make the money I was going to give him. Hell, a few blocks away theres 25 mexicans lined up to do the same job for $5!
lesson learned: never give a bum cash. they'll just spend it on booze & drugs.

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
I gave a bum change and he said he wanted bills. I asked for the change back (he declined) and i drove off.

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
I love the bums over here.. You give 'em a couple of bucks and you've got all the info you need.. :D

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
It's very annoying how bums expect things from you now, its friggin ridiculous. They ask for money, you give them some so they ask for more... that's gratitude?? Used to be they were happy with a quarter and now they want 20$ so they can pay the rent and buy a new tv. Lazy friggin idiots have turned it into a career.

I've seen bums here get offered a meal and they throw it out when they receive it!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Feneant2
It's very annoying how bums expect things from you now, its friggin ridiculous. They ask for money, you give them some so they ask for more... that's gratitude?? Used to be they were happy with a quarter and now they want 20$ so they can pay the rent and buy a new tv. Lazy friggin idiots have turned it into a career.

I've seen bums here get offered a meal and they throw it out when they receive it!

Bums finally heard about this thing called "communism"... they think we should share the wealth :p.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Feneant2

Happens all the time. Around colleges especially since the kids are idealistic and willing to give money without thinking. It's not terribly unusual for a bum to make $30+/hour. And no taxes on that either. People will make much more as a "bum" in a city than they ever would just working at a place like McDonalds and a lot of people are willing to lay down their dignity and beg because it's more profitable to do that.

ZV

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
I don't think most people realize that a large majority of transients have severe mental issues even if it's not obvious.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
An aquaintance of mine is a junky and this one fella she knows who begs on street corners pulls in a couple hundred a day. He spends it all on heroin and crack but he actually has a checking account, credit cards, everything.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I was in Toronto on a school trip in the 8th grade. One morning we decided to buy some pastries at this little stand and give them to some of the bums in the area. I guess the guilt of kids giving them food got to them, because every single one of them told us they had plenty of money and didn't want any food. One guy even pulled a cell phone out of his pocket and laughed.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Originally posted by: homercles337
Ban for stupidity, arrogance, and lying.

Explain why for each point please, oh god of enlightenment and e-intelligence

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
i give bums nothing but offer them food, if it seems like they are making an effort to survive (ie picking up cans and such)

kinev

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2005
I appreciate the domicile-challenged people who actually do some type of work for the money. I remember one guy who had a knack for folding palm frawns into little roses. Sort of hobo origami. He was friendly, too. If you said no, he would just say "thanks anyway" and walk away. If you were with your woman, he'd pull the "Well, here you go, she deserves it" line and give it to you. Hard not to give him some $ after that. Sneaky bum.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Platypus
I don't think most people realize that a large majority of transients have severe mental issues even if it's not obvious.

Jesus, thank god someone has a clue. Back when Guliani cleaned up NYC, they got homeless the mental help they needed. They disappeared.

Yes it costs money. There is a price to pay to live in a decent society. That's what taxes SHOULD be used for.

Made up fact: For every 10,000 mentally ill bums, there's probably 1 sneaky slacker. I'm sure I'm not far off the mark. Begging for a living is NOT EASY and won't pay the bill very well.

Some people think it's justified to leave American citizens to rot because they heard a story "from a friend" about a bum that was rolling in dough.

:roll:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: DefDC
Some people think it's justified to leave American citizens to rot because they heard a story "from a friend" about a bum that was rolling in dough.

Sorry, but if you are kind enough to provide them with food that they say they need and they brush you off wanting cold, hard cash... why should you be anything but callous from then on? Especially if this is a common occurrence.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I will say that when I fell on hard times, I didn't have to panhandle for money for food. It wasn't too tough to get free food from fast food places.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Aikouka

Sorry, but if you are kind enough to provide them with food that they say they need and they brush you off wanting cold, hard cash... why should you be anything but callous from then on? Especially if this is a common occurrence.

What part of mentally ill didn't you understand? Actually, you shouldn't have to deal with them at all. If we're really a 1st world country, we, as a country, should be helping the "least among us".

By the way, addicts are SICK. They need HELP. We could treat them with a fraction of the "War on Drugs" money being wasted.

HammerCurl

Apr 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Aikouka

What part of mentally ill didn't you understand? Actually, you shouldn't have to deal with them at all. If we're really a 1st world country, we, as a country, should be helping the "least among us".

By the way, addicts are SICK. They need HELP. We could treat them with a fraction of the "War on Drugs" money being wasted.

Thats a good point, probably will never happen though.