I got that Toshiba A2 for $99 w/EIGHT movies

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
And i absolutly love it. I was looking online to see some trilogies i'd like to see in HD DVD and i see that LOTR is one that may be released but I can't find any anything that states for sure. Does anyone know?

I did find this on amazon.

Moved to Audio/Video & Home Theater
Anandtech Moderator hzl

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Grats on getting in on the deal, the A2 is a great player for $99. Heck, with seven movies you practically got the A2 for free ;)

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
damn, just when I thought BR was gonna win. HD-DVD is tearing shit up

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Obligatory pics of it being setup, and in all it's HD glory?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
You may be able to go back and get another free movie. BB now has a promotion for $99 + 3 free movies + 5 Mail-In.

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
Any ideas on what this Friday's WalMart deals will be?

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Whenever I think about how much better an HD-DVD might look than the DVD, I realize that it's for a movie I saw in the theater. It's not going to look any better than it did in the theater unless they remastered it, right? I'm glad I got the A2 (I got it for $86 due to a sears pricematch) but I'm not chomping at the bit to replace all my movies with HD versions yet. Except maybe 2001...

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: BigJ
You may be able to go back and get another free movie. BB now has a promotion for $99 + 3 free movies + 5 Mail-In.

I also got the player from BB on Thursday and went to pick it up. But I'm only going to get the 5 Mail in-rebate movie offers. No freebies at the store.

I asked about it and the employees didn't know about it or how to apply anything. Any advice on what I could do to get that? Would I have to bring the player back?
I had to get the player at the only store in Long Island that had it in stock and its pretty far away.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: torpid
Whenever I think about how much better an HD-DVD might look than the DVD, I realize that it's for a movie I saw in the theater. It's not going to look any better than it did in the theater unless they remastered it, right? I'm glad I got the A2 (I got it for $86 due to a sears pricematch) but I'm not chomping at the bit to replace all my movies with HD versions yet. Except maybe 2001...

I don't know. In the theater they may be using a wicked nice high end 3-DLP based whatever projector, but they're still showing it on a huge ass screen, and you have some of the dumbest people on the planet trying to run those machines, so who knows how well calibrated they are.

I'd much rather watch it on a 40" LCD that's going to give you much better contrast and a nice sharp picture, that YOU can control the settings on.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004

Buying HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray movies at this point is dumb. They are just too expensive. Get a NetFlix subscription.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Jnetty99

I also got the player from BB on Thursday and went to pick it up. But I'm only going to get the 5 Mail in-rebate movie offers. No freebies at the store.

I asked about it and the employees didn't know about it or how to apply anything. Any advice on what I could do to get that? Would I have to bring the player back?
I had to get the player at the only store in Long Island that had it in stock and its pretty far away.

Its somewhere in the other thread.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: tfinch2

Buying HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray movies at this point is dumb. They are just too expensive. Get a NetFlix subscription.

Why? You can get some of the DVDs for $15-20, which is about the same price point as many SD DVDs.

I have a Blockbuster online sub and will probably switch oveer to Netflix shortly because of the HD-DVD disks AND as a protest to the BB change in service regarding in-store exchanges. However, if I find an HD-DVD disk that I want in the price range of a SD disk, I'll still buy it.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000

The computer did it automatically if the checkout scanned the 2 movies. Nothing extra for the cashier to do.

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: ScottSwingleComputers

The computer did it automatically if the checkout scanned the 2 movies. Nothing extra for the cashier to do.

But I order the player online and did store pick up. Went to the store got the player and asked about the free 2 movies. I even had a print out of their website and they could not figure it out.

I guess I lost on the deal, its no big deal.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
"Lucky enough?" From what I gathered on the deal forums I go to not many people had a problem finding these.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage
"Lucky enough?" From what I gathered on the deal forums I go to not many people had a problem finding these.

I consider myself lucky. Here in WI walmart was selling them for $185 and BB was out of stock everywhere. I managed to get one at sears for $86 because the clerk was willing to PM an item that was out of stock.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage

The Best Buy deal was lucky, two free HD DVD's instant of your choice plus the 5 free via mail in from a somewhat crappy selection.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

But I order the player online and did store pick up. Went to the store got the player and asked about the free 2 movies. I even had a print out of their website and they could not figure it out.

Walk up to the counter with 3 HD DVDs. Tell them you want to take advantage of their promotion where you want to have them do a refund-rering of the player. The discount will be taken off at the register automatically.

For the discount to be applied, they HAVE TO refund the player completely. Then they have to start a new order with the player and 3 DVDs. They cannot do a refund and rebuy on the same order.

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003

Walk up to the counter with 3 HD DVDs. Tell them you want to take advantage of their promotion where you want to have them do a refund-rering of the player. The discount will be taken off at the register automatically.

For the discount to be applied, they HAVE TO refund the player completely. Then they have to start a new order with the player and 3 DVDs. They cannot do a refund and rebuy on the same order.

but i would need the player physically with me correct?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

but i would need the player physically with me correct?

I didn't. My purchase was an instore purchase though. I don't know if you can return items to your local BB.