I got bored, so i reseated my HSF on my e6400

Mudokon

Jul 27, 2006
Zalman 9500AT / Asus p5B / e6400

So yesterday i added 2 fans to my case, a 80mm coolermaster (rocks) and a 40mm back-of-the-case fan (zip tied, ghetto).

Still no improvement on my temps for the cpu, EVEN after pointing a giant room fan at the opened case, still idling at 47C.

Okay, so i got sick of staring at 50C idle so i reseated my Zalman 9500 AT HSF, cleaned off both the cpu and the hsf, with thermal cleaning solution and purifier, added a "grain of rice" sized Artic Silver 5, spread it evenly along the whole cpu, and reseated.

Turned it off for the night, and started up again today, 40C!!!!

Now we'll see, sitting there, ON, all day, with the temp in the house getting to 75F or 80F.

But if it stays idle at night at 40C i would be happy enough.

phile

Aug 10, 2006
If you're not overclocking, let me suggest another way to reduce your CPU temp: undervolting. Conroe auto voltage is somewhere around 1.32v, but my E6600 @ stock (2.4) runs dual prime stable at 1.225v - the lowest vcore option allowed by my P5W DH Deluxe. Been running like this for about a week, and it's rock solid stable. This undervolting dropped my CPU temp (as read from the mobo diode) by 6C, and the core temps (as read by CoreTemp) by a whopping 10C.

My current idle temps:

CPU (mobo): 25C
CPU core1: 40C
CPU core2: 42C
Mobo: 38C

Ambient: 20C-21C

-phil

Mudokon

Jul 27, 2006
Actually in CPU-Z

SCREENSHOT of CPU

you can see its voltage is at 1.16-1.17, thats on auto, so either not enough power to my motherboard/cpu i.e. PSU (which is generic 500w) isnt giving it right voltage.

or its already undervolted

phile

Aug 10, 2006
Interesting. Not everyone trusts CPUZ's vcore measurement. What does Probe II say?

-phil

Mudokon

Jul 27, 2006
yeah, i posted about the AUTO undervolting, someone said that the mobo or cpu undervolts when there isnt a HIGH LOAD to deal with. but im not sure about that.

ultrachrome

Apr 14, 2006
I would recommend a better case. Specifically, something with a 120mm rear fan.

Antec Sonata/P150/Solo cases are solid performers. You can pick one up cheap from Antec's B-stock page.

You shouldn't need blowholes or side vents. A front fan can help if you don't mind the extra noise. But you should be able to effectively cool this machine with a single 120mm fan.

Ruhnie

Sep 4, 2001
Fans don't seem to make a difference. I now have 5 120mm fans in my Antec P180b, and my E6400 also idles high. Will have to try manually undervolting, sounds hawt.

crspyjohn

Mar 4, 2004
Just did the same thing as you! And my results are the same. I dunno if the temps are going to stay this way. I'll update this in a few hours! Right now only 47c load!

Mudokon

Jul 27, 2006
yeah i think it is either of these that i cant help:

asus board reading higher temp
or
cpu just runs hot, since stock fan fluctuated around 55C, now with Zalman its idle at 40ish

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Mudokon
yeah, i posted about the AUTO undervolting, someone said that the mobo or cpu undervolts when there isnt a HIGH LOAD to deal with. but im not sure about that.
Most ASUS board will not sustain the Vcore you set in BIOS under load. Actually I haven't seen ONE ASUS board with solid Vcores. ;) Anyhow, if P5B is anything like P5W, it will lose 0.02~0.03V under load so if you set 1.225V in BIOS you will see 1.19~1.23 in Windows. CPU-Z seems to report the close Vcore up to 1.4V but after that it's always 1.215V or something.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: lopri
Most ASUS board will not sustain the Vcore you set in BIOS under load. Actually I haven't seen ONE ASUS board with solid Vcores. ;) Anyhow, if P5B is anything like P5W, it will lose 0.02~0.03V under load so if you set 1.225V in BIOS you will see 1.19~1.23 in Windows. CPU-Z seems to report the close Vcore up to 1.4V but after that it's always 1.215V or something.

What kind of impact will vdrop have on the system overall? I notice my system gets a .02-.03 vcore drop when I run orthos.

stickybytes

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Ruhnie
Fans don't seem to make a difference. I now have 5 120mm fans in my Antec P180b, and my E6400 also idles high. Will have to try manually undervolting, sounds hawt.

Really? I was just planning to get an extra case fan too! Mine is idling around 48C using stock heatsink when measuring using everest or core temp. For some odd reason however, gigabyte's easytune is reading temps of 37C for idle. Such a large discrepency...

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Okay, so i got sick of staring at 50C idle so i reseated my Zalman 9500 AT HSF, cleaned off both the cpu and the hsf, with thermal cleaning solution and purifier, added a "grain of rice" sized Artic Silver 5, spread it evenly along the whole cpu, and reseated.

Turned it off for the night, and started up again today, 40C!!!!

Now we'll see, sitting there, ON, all day, with the temp in the house getting to 75F or 80F.

But if it stays idle at night at 40C i would be happy enough.

I have the same uber high temps issue.

To clarify, you used a lot more paste initially, but this time you just used the rice sized amount & spread it?

Mudokon

Jul 27, 2006
yeah last time i put alittle too much on, and didnt spread it PERFECTLY even along the whole cpu top (like thin butter on bread), now this time, i used exactly a rice sized amount, and spent 5min spreading it evenly.

My apartment gets really hot during the day, so its gotta be 80+F in there, so the computer getting up to 57 is kinda understandable.

But still, cold mornings, idling at 40C, too high.

but could just be Asus P5b.

i just wish i had friends close nearby that have the Core2Duo, then we could "test"