I got an X-Fi 'fatality', the one w/front audio panel? & other stuff

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Sorry, I've emtied out my PMs a few times, did you talk to me about this before?

Weren't those speakers about $300 for the whole 5.1 set or something?

Which Denon are you talking about as appealing? The 5805? I really hope you're joking if that's the case.

You can certainly get a receiver that doesn't have second zone capability. A lot of 7.1 receivers will have the option to have 5.1 in one room and stereo in another. The higher up you go in price, the more likely you'll have expanded options for multizone capability. The 5805 would be a perfect example of what you can do when you get into higher levels with its multizone capability.

I believe you should spend more on speakers than your receiver. If you're including speakers/sub as a single entity, a 3:1 ratio sounds like a good starting point to me.

$1000 on speakers/sub and a $350 receiver sounds like a good match to me.

If you spent $300 on your speakers/sub, you should be looking at very cheap stuff. The difference in quality between a decent budget receiver and something in one of my "midrange" categories is not going to make much of a difference on such cheap speakers.

If your current receiver has humming issues, yeah you can get a new one. I still think you should be looking at a budget model unless you know you're going to be getting some much nicer speakers in the future.

Yes, a receiver / amp that really cleanly puts out what it's advertised ratings are is going to be much better than a receiver with bogus specs.

Reduced hum is one of the big things I noticed going from my "budget" receiver to my "midrange" separates. I would not have made the jump though if I had not spent several thousand on my speakers/sub though. The difference in quality I got from changing my electronics would have not made as much difference on crappier speakers.

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
Sorry, I've emtied out my PMs a few times, did you talk to me about this before?

Which Denon are you talking about as appealing? The 5805? I really hope you're joking if that's the case.

You can certainly get a receiver that doesn't have second zone capability. A lot of 7.1 receivers will have the option to have 5.1 in one room and stereo in another. The higher up you go in price, the more likely you'll have expanded options for multizone capability. The 5805 would be a perfect example of what you can do when you get into higher levels with its multizone capability.

I believe you should spend more on speakers than your receiver. If you're including speakers/sub as a single entity, a 3:1 ratio sounds like a good starting point to me.

If you spent $300 on your speakers/sub, you should be looking at very cheap stuff. The difference in quality between a decent budget receiver and something in one of my "midrange" categories is not going to make much of a difference on such cheap speakers.

If your current receiver has humming issues, yeah you can get a new one. I still think you should be looking at a budget model unless you know you're going to be getting some much nicer speakers in the future.

Yes, a receiver / amp that really cleanly puts out what it's advertised ratings are is going to be much better than a receiver with bogus specs.

Reduced hum is one of the big things I noticed going from my "budget" receiver to my "midrange" separates. I would not have made the jump though if I had not spent several thousand on my speakers/sub though. The difference in quality I got from changing my electronics would have not made as much difference on crappier speakers.

Correction, I paid between $200-300 on my reciever and 300-$500 for my speakers, the speakers normally go for something like $550. I really should have listened to the tech when I was purchasing my reciever at frys in '02 but choose the sony anyways, he suggested the Onkyo which I had truthfully never heard of and now I'm regretting it.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: goku

Correction, I paid between $200-300 on my reciever and 300-$500 for my speakers, the speakers normally go for something like $550. I really should have listened to the tech when I was purchasing my reciever at frys in '02 but choose the sony anyways, he suggested the Onkyo which I had truthfully never heard of and now I'm regretting it.

What are you correcting (I estimated $300 for the speakers/sub)? I have a hard time believing Polk's MSRP is a price things actually go for :p

Example

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/r50/
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/400509...ZTnpDs3LRTkwNJnvrs1Z7340fWG1XySnFvTVhV!153490747!56405938&site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG (this is for a single, but 2x$60 = $120)

I hope you didn't pay much more than $300 for that set.

imported_MaxFSB

Oct 27, 2006
Check out the panny SA-XR55 receiever at amazon, around $260 new. Lots of reading about these panny digital receivers at avsforum. I got the Xr55 earlier this year and am still amazed when using an all digital source.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: MaxFSB
Check out the panny SA-XR55 receiever at amazon, around $360 new. Lots of reading about these panny digital receivers at avsforum. I got the Xr55 earlier this year and am still amazed when using an all digital source.

Linky

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009E1YPW/

It has the 6 channel direct input you'll want to use with your X-Fi as well.

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
Check out the panny SA-XR55 receiever at amazon, around $360 new. Lots of reading about these panny digital receivers at avsforum. I got the Xr55 earlier this year and am still amazed when using an all digital source.

Linky

I don't have nor need 6 speakers... Anyways isn't the X-Fi 7.1 as well, right? My Audigy 2 ZS is 7.1/6.1/what ever as well but I didn't upgrade my speakers for that, neither will I for the X-Fi... Looks pretty interesting but it doesn't have any real coaxial or optical audio in..

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001

Linky

I don't have nor need 6 speakers... Anyways isn't the X-Fi 7.1 as well, right? My Audigy 2 ZS is 7.1/6.1/what ever as well but I didn't upgrade my speakers for that, neither will I for the X-Fi... Looks pretty interesting but it doesn't have any real coaxial or optical audio in..

6 channel direct = 5.1

You don't need to have 6.1 hooked up to use this receiver. I have 7.1 capability right now on my stuff but am only using 5.1

Most decent receivers are going to be 7.1 capable now.

The X-Fi can be used for 7.1, yes.

I don't know where you're getting that it doesn't have any digital inputs. It has 2 optical and 2 coaxial.

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004

Linky

6 channel direct = 5.1

You don't need to have 6.1 hooked up to use this receiver. I have 7.1 capability right now on my stuff but am only using 5.1

I don't know where you're getting that it doesn't have any digital inputs. It has 2 optical and 2 coaxial.

Correction, it doesn't have 'many'. My reciever has 1 coaxial and 4 optical audio inputs, all of which I'm using which would be why I'd need a reciever with more. The problem with having two recievers tied together is that I'd only work if the newer reciever had more audio inputs than video inputs with the old reciever being a video switcher while the new one outputting all of the audio, it's not like I'd have the old one output audio into the new one.. Why is it so difficult to get a reciever with more audio inputs?

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001

Linky

6 channel direct = 5.1

Correction, it doesn't have 'many'. My reciever has 1 coaxial and 4 optical audio inputs, all of which I'm using which would be why I'd need a reciever with more. The problem with having two recievers tied together is that I'd only work if the newer reciever had more audio inputs than video inputs with the old reciever being a video switcher while the new one outputting all of the audio, it's not like I'd have the old one output audio into the new one.. Why is it so difficult to get a reciever with more audio inputs?

They're trying to make a profit like everyone else and most people aren't going to need that many digital audio inputs. It's not really a problem though since people can just get some cheap input switches if they need more connectivity.

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
Hey, can you let me know of the higher end DENON recievers of a few years ago? I don't want any HDMI switching or anything like that and I'm perfectly fine with getting used equipment so I was wondering if you could guide me to some older high end Denon recievers of a few years ago..