I got a stupid ticket..

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: mrCide
Why would you be pissed? See, it's all up for debate since you think speeding 10-15 is okay, I think what I did was okay. Also, I was told never to put the car in first unless I came to a complete stop. I've done it before and the car jerks heavily even at 5-10mph. My car handles turns at that speed as if it was 5mph. (in response to your pissed.. assuming pissed for getting thrown around.)
No, I'd be pissed for blowing through a light. I think you have difficulty in making simple judgements about safe driving. It doesn't take but a second to stop. I might do 100 down the freeway, but I'll always signal and I'll always stop at red lights and stop signs.
And the officer was setting you up. In court, him saying that you "rolled through" is admission of guilt. There are no petty excuses in the eyes of the law. For example, if a cop tickets you for 70 in a 55, and you manage to convince the judge that you were only doing 60... guess what? you're still guilty and you still pay the fine. That's how the law works.
Even the thing about you having a clean record to plead not guilty (which you don't have) is a joke. Judges aren't allowed to see your record before deciding guilt. That could affect their judgement when they are only supposed to rule on the case at hand (and not on your history). They do, however, see your record and examine it quite thoroughly when determining sentencing/fine.

edited for minor typo

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
I know he told you to plead not guilty... but he might have hidden agendas. He might want you to go to court on top of getting a ticket (ticket + court fees, instead of just paying for a ticket). Most cops have extreme ego problems, and if you're driving a nice car (what are you driving, btw?) he is going to screw you any way he can. Cops love T&A on girls, and will only let guys off if they are very submissive and forgiving of a ticket. Not all cops are jerks, but we all know how most are.

Ylen13

Banned
Sep 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
Why would you be pissed? See, it's all up for debate since you think speeding 10-15 is okay, I think what I did was okay. Also, I was told never to put the car in first unless I came to a complete stop. I've done it before and the car jerks heavily even at 5-10mph. My car handles turns at that speed as if it was 5mph. (in response to your pissed.. assuming pissed for getting thrown around.)
No, I'd be pissed for blowing through a light. I think you have difficulty in making simple judgements about safe driving. It doesn't take but a second to stop. I might do 100 down the freeway, but I'll always signal and I'll always stop at red lights and stop signs.
And the officer was setting you up. In court, him saying that you "rolled through" is admission of guilt. There are no petty excuses in the eyes of the law. For example, if a cop tickets you for 70 in a 55, and you manage to convince the judge that you were only doing 60... guess what? you're still guilty and you still pay the fine. That's how the law works.
Even the thing about you having a clean record to plead not guilty (which you don't have) is a joke. Judges aren't allowed to see your record before deciding guilt. That could effect their judgement when they are only supposed to rule on the case at hand (and not on your history). They do, however, see your record and examine it quite thoroughly when determining sentencing/fine.

edited for minor typo

A judge will not find someone guilty if they believe that he was only doing 60 in 55mph zone

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Redhotjrm
I know he told you to plead not guilty... but he might have hidden agendas. He might want you to go to court on top of getting a ticket (ticket + court fees, instead of just paying for a ticket). Most cops have extreme ego problems, and if you're driving a nice car (what are you driving, btw?) he is going to screw you any way he can. Cops love T&A on girls, and will only let guys off if they are very submissive and forgiving of a ticket. Not all cops are jerks, but we all know how most are.

I guess he was just trying to screw me *shrug* Good cop bad cop. I drive a boxster s. Vic, just as so if my friend was doin 100 on the highway I might get pissed cause I think that's more dangerous than taking a turn at 25mph :) But you're right about the rest, i didn't think that the cop might just be trying to screw me.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
but where would they come from? where the turn is (and it's one i take daily.) it's perpendicular..

................O light
==================
................||
................||
................||

look left.. look right.. no people no cars for a mile down.. to the right of me is just a half acre patch of grass so theres nowhere a car can pull out of.. closest thing is the gas station on the left corner where someone can come out.. and theres no way theyd catch enough speed to hit me/me hit them. it's an area i'm very familiar with

You may be right, but there still could be a drunk dude wandering out into the street, or anything. Lots of things can happen. Overconfidence is one of the big ways to get yourself or someone else killed on the road, and it sounds like you have a boatload of that.

MegaloManiaK

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
On campus there is this side street that runs behind the dorm i used to live in. At the end of it there is a T intersection. I was going up the T and came to the cross. There is a stop sign there, but you can't turn left because the road has since been permanently closed off as a walking area. To the right you turn on to a one way street that runs out of the T. The only possible way you can turn is right, and even then there is no way anyone could be coming up that street because its a one way going the opposite direction (I have seen people do it illegaly though) and basicly it is a 45 degree right hand turn in the road. Anyways its late at night, and i did a roll stop through the sign and the cops pull me over way down the road. The guy asked me why i ran that stop sign back there and i couldn't figure out what the heck he was talking about. He told me the street and i said something to the extent of "over there? but the road is closed off so my way was the only possible traffic. The guy says there could have been a pedestrian and gave me an 80$ ticket.

Campus police, gotta love them.

Note: the campus has crosswalks all over the place that don't have stop signs.

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Jzero
but where would they come from? where the turn is (and it's one i take daily.) it's perpendicular..

................O light
==================
................||
................||
................||

look left.. look right.. no people no cars for a mile down.. to the right of me is just a half acre patch of grass so theres nowhere a car can pull out of.. closest thing is the gas station on the left corner where someone can come out.. and theres no way theyd catch enough speed to hit me/me hit them. it's an area i'm very familiar with

You may be right, but there still could be a drunk dude wandering out into the street, or anything. Lots of things can happen. Overconfidence is one of the big ways to get yourself or someone else killed on the road, and it sounds like you have a boatload of that.

Wouldn't you agree that there's always a chance of something similar happening? What if i was just driving straight going 45mph/speed limit and a drunk wandered into the street.. i have a better chance of stopping going the speed i was than otherwise.. I'm really not overconfident, ive stopped myself from doing stupid things on the road several times in the past because I think something might happen if i do (i can be an aggressive driver sometimes), i'm just defending myself.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Boxter S eh ?

you could have easily done 35mph ... lol

I do high speed turns for the fun of it but the street I do it on doesn't have a stop sign or a light.

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: PipBoy
I'm glad you got a ticket, too bad you don't really understand why you got it.

I understand why I got it, i just don't agree with it.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Wouldn't you agree that there's always a chance of something similar happening? What if i was just driving straight going 45mph/speed limit and a drunk wandered into the street.. i have a better chance of stopping going the speed i was than otherwise.. I'm really not overconfident, ive stopped myself from doing stupid things on the road several times in the past because I think something might happen if i do (i can be an aggressive driver sometimes), i'm just defending myself.

Let me put it this way - you've got enough overconfidence to think that your car "handles a turn at 25 the way other cars handle a turn at 5" and to believe that you're the one guy who should be allowed to plow through red lights at 25.

Heck, you were going fast enough that you didn't spot the cop who ended up pulling you over....and that's really all that matters.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Sorry, you definitely deserved it.

Viper GTS

Helps that you don't like me / are bitter towards me though ;)

I have nothing against you, unless you're referring to my views on your financial habits.

Viper GTS

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I was making a right turn, those are legal. the problem was that I didn't come to a complete stop. You act as if i flew through a red light across the intersection without looking. You're making me seem a lot worse than I am to make yourself look better. I think YOU'RE trolling. It's okay, a lot of people do it in ticket threads. I was ranting because I think it was stupid. I'll continue to think it was stupid.

I assure you I'm not trolling. I'm just amazed that you think your ticket was "stupid". We've all done things worthy of ticketing, but when you go through a red light at 25mph and get a ticket, it's really a stretch to call it "stupid". You feel that the particular intersection, time of day, ability to see cross traffic, etc. all should be taken into account, and I think that doesn't matter. I would feel the same way about someone who drove 150mph on a perfectly flat, straight, six-lane highway with no one around. The circumstances don't really count.

Jzero mentioned overconfidence. That's your problem, but you don't see it. It's the reason that young drivers have high insurance rates, and the highest number of fatalities. But that's how young drivers are. <shrug>

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999

Let me put it this way - you've got enough overconfidence to think that your car "handles a turn at 25 the way other cars handle a turn at 5" and to believe that you're the one guy who should be allowed to plow through red lights at 25.

Heck, you were going fast enough that you didn't spot the cop who ended up pulling you over....and that's really all that matters.

I do have confidence in my car's ability to take a turn at 25mph (again, i slowed down into the turn, i was breaking as i was making the turn) :) i don't think i have any special rights over others, i just don't agree with the reason i got the ticket.. which was not coming to a complete stop, sure its easy, sure it would of taken a minute, sure i wouldnt of gotten a ticket, sure people think im stupid, but i still dont agree with it. if he through i was wreckless he would of said something / ticketed something else me thinks.. he didn't say i took it too fast until he told me to plead not guilty, just that i didn't come to a complete stop.. but what do i know. :)

Anyway, he pulled out of the gas station on the corner and flew up behind me to pull me over... my guess is he was looking for people speeding with his lights off in the gas station.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Ylen13
A judge will not find someone guilty if they believe that he was only doing 60 in 55mph zone
Depending on his judgement, yes he will. That is the law.
I think you are confused. If the original ticket was for 60 in a 55, then the defendant could easily argue a case that they were not speeding at all (due to inaccuracies in car speedometers, radar guns, etc.). However, if the defendant was ticketed for 70 in a 55 and managed to convince the judge that they were in fact doing 60, then they will still have been speeding, and they would still be guilty.
Same thing here. The law requires a complete stop. The officer that ticketed mrCide may tell the judge that he just "rolled through" (instead of blew through), but he still didn't come to a complete stop, so the judge can still find him guilty.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Ylen13

A judge WILL find someone guilty if he believes he was exceeding the speed limit by any amount. I've been in court when a guy was found guilty for 1 mph over the speed limit. $75 fine, 1 point on his license. It all depends on the judge that you get.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001

I do have confidence in my car's ability to take a turn at 25mph (again, i slowed down into the turn, i was breaking as i was making the turn) :) i don't think i have any special rights over others, i just don't agree with the reason i got the ticket.. which was not coming to a complete stop, sure its easy, sure it would of taken a minute, sure i wouldnt of gotten a ticket, sure people think im stupid, but i still dont agree with it. if he through i was wreckless he would of said something / ticketed something else me thinks.. he didn't say i took it too fast until he told me to plead not guilty, just that i didn't come to a complete stop.. but what do i know. :)

Anyway, he pulled out of the gas station on the corner and flew up behind me to pull me over... my guess is he was looking for people speeding with his lights off in the gas station.

Isn't the Boxter S a RWD ?
why would you brake into a turn ? If it was a sharp turn or something you would have thrown out your rear end.

If all else slow down before you go into a turn and give it gas. :p

I can already tell you're gonna wrap yourself around a tree when it rains.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
That is the key. When approaching an intersection at 25 mph you really cannot see very far. What if someone was barreling down the road at 120 mph? It takes an average of 7 seconds to turn and get up to speed. At 120 mph, you'd have to see a full 1/4 mile to the left to see that car barreling down at you. Could you really see that far to the left (I don't know the answer)?

At 25 mph can you see both directions, all cars, the sidewalks, the corners, animals/people hidden in the grassy field ready to jump onto the street, vehicles exiting that gas station, at the same time watching where you are going? If so, why'd you miss the cop?

I'm just saying that you are putting your life in danger thinking that you can see everything and that no one will be there simply because it is midnight.

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
kranky; you may be right.. i still am young.. but i think it's silly/stupid that i got a ticket and not a warning, i'm bitter about it. i don't agree with the ticket, it's just my opinion. I used to be a lot worse a driver but i'm much better with experience, i avoid many accidents, specially since people seem to not see me cause i have a small car.

Viper; but that makes you judge me on a whole I think. It's okay, no big deal.

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: isekii

<snip>

Isn't the Boxter S a RWD ?
why would you brake into a turn ? If it was a sharp turn or something you would have thrown out your rear end.

If all else slow down before you go into a turn and give it gas. :p

I can already tell you're gonna wrap yourself around a tree when it rains.

yeah it's rwd, i was breaking into the turn (slowing down before the turn.. and still slowing down while i was turning)..(it's all very normal to me..i guess i can picture it better cause i was there though ;) ) i didn't give it gas until i was out of the turn, and i didn't give it a lot of gas either, i haven't been speeding since my ticket.

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
I still think it's funny that if you had at least a large B cup and had a little makeup on you would have just got a warning. That is horrible about the justice system in America, cops always make exceptions when it comes to tickets.

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: dullard
That is the key. When approaching an intersection at 25 mph you really cannot see very far. What if someone was barreling down the road at 120 mph? It takes an average of 7 seconds to turn and get up to speed. At 120 mph, you'd have to see a full 1/4 mile to the left to see that car barreling down at you. Could you really see that far to the left (I don't know the answer)?

At 25 mph can you see both directions, all cars, the sidewalks, the corners, animals/people hidden in the grassy field ready to jump onto the street, vehicles exiting that gas station, at the same time watching where you are going? If so, why'd you miss the cop?

I'm just saying that you are putting your life in danger thinking that you can see everything and that no one will be there simply because it is midnight.

Just wanted to say, he didn't exit the gas station until after I made the turn. He was watching me from inside the gas station. But anyway, I still think you guys aren't realizing how i made this turn, i was going the speed limit, and slowing down for the turn, as i was slowing down i'm looking left and right, right for people, left for cars.. get to the corner.. slow down more.. take one last look.. it's something i do everytime i turn, except if there's anythign there i stop, my foot was on the brakes...I slowed down further into the turn aswell).. like i said its very normal to me. i just don't think it's a big deal.. so far no one's thought so either except atot :)

edit; didnt answer you, i could see to the left, it's a road i take every day twice a day, i could see half a mile down.