I got a speeding ticket

jonmullen

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2002
I'm not here to say that I was not speeding, I was, I was going 15 over on a non-residential street trying to get my friend home by curfew. I live in Oklahoma City and am 16 and this is my first ticket...what is the best course of action so that this does not affect my insurance. Should I try to fight the ticket, I head that if you fight by mail it often gets dismissed or something, or should I take drivers school and does that get the points taken off and not go on my insurance. I'm pleaing what are my options here.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
No clue, but your insurance rate is going to be high now, err, higher than what it is now because even now it's probably high

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Pay the fine. Go to school. No points. Dont get anymore tickets for the next 18 months. At least thats how it is in California.

jonmullen

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2002
Originally posted by: bR
Pay the fine. Go to school. No points. Dont get anymore tickets for the next 18 months. At least thats how it is in California.

Whats that sight about your rights and fighting tickets...I think it was specific for cali but applies and many other states.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: jonmullen
Originally posted by: bR

Whats that sight about your rights and fighting tickets...I think it was specific for cali but applies and many other states.

ticketassassin.com/?

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm not here to say that I was not speeding, I was, I was going 15 over on a non-residential street trying to get my friend home by curfew. I live in Oklahoma City and am 16 and this is my first ticket...what is the best course of action so that this does not affect my insurance. Should I try to fight the ticket, I head that if you fight by mail it often gets dismissed or something, or should I take drivers school and does that get the points taken off and not go on my insurance. I'm pleaing what are my options here.

If this is your first ticket, nothing's going to happen to your insurance. If your a high-risk driver (Probably depends on what your car is), several tickets probably wouldn't matter. :)

Sucks being a teenage male with a car. Doesn't really get better until your mid 20s either.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
So you were speeding, got caught, and want to fight the ticket? You deserved it, so pay for it and move on.

Edit: Find out what it'll do to your license in terms of points. If it's significant enough then take a defensive driving course or something like that.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: bradruth
So you were speeding, got caught, and want to fight the ticket? You deserved it, so pay for it and move on.

Edit: Find out what it'll do to your license in terms of points. If it's significant enough then take a defensive driving course or something like that.

What are you, a cop?

ALWAYS fight the ticket if you have an hour or two to spare. I've had multiple speeding tickets, all which I was clearly guilty of, dismissed because of discovery violations. Usually the violations weren't even the officer's fault (city attorneys are lazy bastards).

My last case involved an officer who was a 12-year vet of his PD. He presented his side of the case EXTREMELY well, and was assured a victory had I not filed for discovery. The judge said that since my case was a clear cut discovery violation, even though the officer's testimony was concrete, he'd have to throw the ticket out.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton

What are you, a cop?

If all goes well I will be within a month or two, yeah.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
so what should I do? Traffic school, or what?

Yes, take defensive driving aka traffic school.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: LAUST
What is file for discovery?

Discovery is the phase of the trial where the prosecution must present to you (the defense) all of the evidence it intends to use against you.

Filing for discovery means the DA has to forward to you everything it's going to introduce. The smallest missing article is enough to dismiss the case.

jonmullen

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2002
Where would I look to find out how about go about contesting my ticket, if I can do it in writting and discovery and what not...I have no idea where to get started.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Originally posted by: TerryMathews
Originally posted by: LAUST
What is file for discovery?

Discovery is the phase of the trial where the prosecution must present to you (the defense) all of the evidence it intends to use against you.

Filing for discovery means the DA has to forward to you everything it's going to introduce. The smallest missing article is enough to dismiss the case.
oh okay, thanks for the info :). (never had a ticket before, but if my luck ever runs out I'll know ;) )

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
In illinois there is no class required for "court supervision" (strikes ticket from record), and all you gotta do is not get a ticket for 6 months, not 18.

Btw, its not so much as a speeding ticket. Its more like paying for the rights to speed. I've had 2 in the 5 years that I've been driving, so its a semi-annual type thing.

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Where I am at you can go to court on your first ticket (or limit one every so many years) and plead no-contest and ask for driving school. Ticket dismissed, pay court costs, and spend a Sat. at driving school (you pay). Benefit is, often cheaper than the ticket, and once the driving school paper goes back to the court, it is wiped from your record permantely. See if they got anything like that there.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
It's kinda funny and sad, a lot of cops get killed writing BS tickets like this. They could very well still be alive if they hadn't pulled that last car over...

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Nebor
It's kinda funny and sad, a lot of cops get killed writing BS tickets like this. They could very well still be alive if they hadn't pulled that last car over...

And they wouldn't have to pull them over if the person didn't violate the law. :disgust:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Nebor

And they wouldn't have to pull them over if the person didn't violate the law. :disgust:

Kind of a moot point, seeing as they're really breaking the law when the blast a cop.

Supertastic Fool

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2002
I live in Oklahoma and if you go to court and plead no contest and this is your first offense i am guessing you would most likely get community service. They take this ticket completely off the record as they did mine. I live over in tulsa and got my ticket about 4 months ago... This is different than pleading guilty or not guilty. Ask the judge beforehand what will happen in each case.

EDIT: did they give you a court date?

TitanDiddly

Dec 8, 2003
Originally posted by: jpeyton

What are you, a cop?

ALWAYS fight the ticket if you have an hour or two to spare. I've had multiple speeding tickets, all which I was clearly guilty of, dismissed because of discovery violations. Usually the violations weren't even the officer's fault (city attorneys are lazy bastards).

My last case involved an officer who was a 12-year vet of his PD. He presented his side of the case EXTREMELY well, and was assured a victory had I not filed for discovery. The judge said that since my case was a clear cut discovery violation, even though the officer's testimony was concrete, he'd have to throw the ticket out.

What's discovery? Whether their speed gun was calibrated recently?

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
it really depends on your insurance agency, i've had two speeding tickets over 4-5 years and neither of the two have gone on my record. ask and make sure first, otherwise just take the course and don't speed anymore... or get a v1 ;)