I got $4k back when buying a NEW home...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: tagej
Why should an agent give you back part of their paycheck? That's how they earn their living.
Often if you are an experienced buyer that doesn't need a lot of handholding and won't take up much time for the agent, they will recognize that and figure they'll get a very nice paycheck for not much work. They know that if they say "no", you can simply try another agent and find one that will agree to a deal.

Well, IMO agents who do that are either poor agents or desperate.
I don't think that's true. After all, lets say you're an agent and you have an option of representing one of two buyers: the first is going to buy a $150,000 home, and you make full 3%, so you stand to make $4500. The buyer is not experienced and you'll have to invest lots of time. Buyer #2 is getting a $300,000 place, and will not require much of your time. You could reduce your rate to 2%, still make 33% more from the sale, and spend a lot less time. It makes sense for the agent to do it, not just for a 'bad' agent, but for any agent.

She won't undercut her pay though, if someone wants a good realtor they should expect to pay them for their services.
So, if I buy a $600,000 house instead of a $300,000 house, does the agent have to do $18,000 worth of work instead of $9,000? Of course not, so there is room for the agent to say "hey, tagej, I'll cut you a deal and work for 2% on this transaction". In a competitive marketplace, she won't have a choice. There are plenty of good agents that will, so if she wants to remain in business she'll have no choice as this practice is getting more common.

You don't expect your auto mechanic to cut his fees down on the repairs he does to your car do you? How about your credit card companies? Do they cut the interest rate on your credit cards because they don't have to do much work to loan you the money?
Those are different situations, those people are paid based specifically on the amount of work they have to do. If my mechanic was getting paid based on a percentage of the value of my car, you'd better believe I would negotiate the price of his services as well. He's not, he's getting paid based on how many hours he has to spend working on the car. RE agents do not get paid by the hour for a good reason, they know they would make a lot less that way on larger transactions.

Bottom line, the agents certainly won't do it for everyone and in every situation, but it makes sense that in a good situation they will be willing to work with you on the fees. If not, dump them and get another agent.

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000
Man, real estate is such a rip-off... Everyone and their mother has a license nowadays.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: dirtboy
So you financed a $4,000 rebate over 30 years. Brilliant.

What makes you think he didn't add $4k to his down payment?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Silly me. I just let my wife act as my real estate agent and used her commission for part of the down payment. :D

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
If a builder is willing to sell you a house for $300,000 and pay a $9.000 commision to an agent then the builder would be willing sell you the house for $291,000 with no agent and you wouldn't have to pay taxes on anything.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Why should an agent give you back part of their paycheck? That's how they earn their living.

Because if they don't, they're not getting ANY of it.

I've done this, too. It occurred to me when shopping for my second home. I went to an agent and said, "I have a home that I want to build... you can represent me if you'll split the commission with me." She was offended as hell. Agent #2 was much more agreeable.

If there's absolutely zero work involved, and an agent is about to have $5k dropped in their lap simply because they're breathing, why not jump at it?

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

You mean the 4K he would have had to pay anyways if he bought direct (since the builder wouldn't have paid commission to a direct buyer)?

Right.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs
Often if you are an experienced buyer that doesn't need a lot of handholding and won't take up much time for the agent, they will recognize that and figure they'll get a very nice paycheck for not much work. They know that if they say "no", you can simply try another agent and find one that will agree to a deal.

Well, IMO agents who do that are either poor agents or desperate. My wife did that once a few years ago and it was the worst mistake she ever made. She worked her ass off to sell this guy's house and only made like $2k off the deal. She's also had deals that went smoothly that she got a full commission on. She won't undercut her pay though, if someone wants a good realtor they should expect to pay them for their services.

You don't expect your auto mechanic to cut his fees down on the repairs he does to your car do you? How about your credit card companies? Do they cut the interest rate on your credit cards because they don't have to do much work to loan you the money?

Bolded the important part of his post.

If they don't need to spend as much time on the deals, thus they can do more of them and end up with more money, how does that make them a poor agent or desperate?

Because a most agents worth their salt wouldn't do that.

But in these cases, you don't need an agent "worth their salt"; the work is already done. All you need is someone with a license and a compromised moral center :D .

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: andrewWynn
You can get an agent to represent you when buying a new home.

The benefit is that the agent gets a commission from the builder (2-4%).
Some agents will split this with you.

In my deal, I bought a 250k home. Agent got about 10k in commission from builder. He gave me 4k. I got a 1099 at end of year to file as income.

There's no catch. This is a little known secret but it's out there. Just ask the agent or shop around.

Wow .... well, if you are dealing with the builder's agent, you can say you're willign to pay $X, but since you have no agent, you want 3% under that. Tell them to take it or leave it. No tax forms. No nothing.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Read the OP.

The agent gave it back to him. The agent doesn't get paid until the house closes.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Squisher
If a builder is willing to sell you a house for $300,000 and pay a $9.000 commision to an agent then the builder would be willing sell you the house for $291,000 with no agent and you wouldn't have to pay taxes on anything.
Nope, wrong. Most builders will not 'cut out' the comissions that way, because if they do they tick off RE agents and will ultimately lose sales. I've had several prominent builders tell me this. Could there be builders that do it anyway? Sure, but most do not, unless there's a very unusual situation.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Read the OP.

The agent gave it back to him. The agent doesn't get paid until the house closes.
That's $4K that he would have paid regardless. This way, he got the $4K back and could use it to make an early payment if he wished, but without using the agent he would not have gotten that $4K back.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Squisher
Nope, wrong. Most builders will not 'cut out' the comissions that way, because if they do they tick off RE agents and will ultimately lose sales. I've had several prominent builders tell me this. Could there be builders that do it anyway? Sure, but most do not, unless there's a very unusual situation.

Sorry builders don't care about agents feelings. They just hate lowering the price of the house.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Read the OP.

Yes, I know. That's why I said "... didn't add $4k..." instead of "... didn't add the $4k..." Suppose the OP has $X in savings and wants to have $Y left over after his down payment. He could make a down payment of $X-$Y, but then after he gets his $4k kickback he has $Y+$4k left over. So instead he makes a down payment of ($X-$Y)+$4k and ends up with $Y left over after his $4k kickback. In that case he didn't finance his $4k rebate, he used it to pay down the principle.