I go to download/install iTunes on PC

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I tried this in Palemoon, then IE. After each "successful" download I couldn't find the setup file, it's just not there. :confused: :\

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Check where the default download directory is for those programs ?
Then again, maybe your AV scanner thought it was a virus/malware that you were trying to install... and they wouldn't be that far off. ;)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Check where the default download directory is for those programs ?
Then again, maybe your AV scanner thought it was a virus/malware that you were trying to install... and they wouldn't be that far off. ;)
Yeah, I agree, I have bad feelings about installing Apple software on PCs, i.e. Quicktime from many years ago. Well, there was a radio broadcast that is available via iTunes I wanted to check out (it's the college radio station's that I volunteer at). So, I guess no choice, unless Winamp will play it, maybe possible, but when I went to listen to it online I was prompted to download and install iTunes, and the download is iTunesSetup.exe. However I looked on both HDs on this laptop (actually an SSD partitioned into C and D) and it's not in either partition. I got no inkling/warning that the file was regarded as suspicious by any agency/utility/program/firewall/AV, so don't know what to think. The page is http://www.apple.com/itunes/affiliates/download/.

Edit: Ah, in IE I tried again and there's a bar at the bottom allowing me to either Run or Save, and I'm running the DL right now, i.e. the 105MB file is downloading... somewhere.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
VLC should be able to play the stream unless it has some DRM nonsense. If I had to use iTunes to listen to something, I wouldn't listen.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
You've probably solved the problem but if you click on the Pale Moon tab thing (top left) then options in the general tab you should see an option that shows where files are downloaded. Click the browse button beside it and it should open the folder.

The little download arrow should also show your downloads and I think if you click on the little folder to the right it will open the folder.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You've probably solved the problem but if you click on the Pale Moon tab thing (top left) then options in the general tab you should see an option that shows where files are downloaded. Click the browse button beside it and it should open the folder.

The little download arrow should also show your downloads and I think if you click on the little folder to the right it will open the folder.
I had done that and it wasn't in Palemoon's downloads folder. Weird as hell.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm just a little shocked somebody is still using WinAMP.

Why? What's wrong with using Winamp? I use it partly because I use a utility called MP3Trackmaker that allows me to easily split an MP3 into segments. You play the MP3 in Winamp, pause it and click a button in MP3Trackmaker to create a breakpoint. Do that as many times as you want and then click the Create Tracks button and the utility splits the MP3 into:

[ (the number of breakpoints you created) + 1] MP3's.

Neat utility. So, I use Winamp! :cool:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I tried this in Palemoon, then IE. After each "successful" download I couldn't find the setup file, it's just not there. :confused: :\

I've seen this before on the Apple site when attempting to download iTunes with FF and other browsers. IIRC trying it twice in a row with IE, it works the second time.

Other topics on this thread - yes, I try to avoid installing iTunes wherever possible. What's wrong with Winamp?

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
VLC should be able to play the stream unless it has some DRM nonsense. If I had to use iTunes to listen to something, I wouldn't listen.
They should not have DRM involved. Here's the page:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/kalx-90.7fm-the-graduates/id354826035?mt=10

The files are all there available to "View in iTunes"

When I click on any of the files I am taken to a page to download iTunes. On this computer I have VLC installed (just updated to latest version), don't have iTunes installed. I can't see a way (yet) to get VLC to play the files. Do you see a way? :confused:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've seen this before on the Apple site when attempting to download iTunes with FF and other browsers. IIRC trying it twice in a row with IE, it works the second time.

Other topics on this thread - yes, I try to avoid installing iTunes wherever possible. What's wrong with Winamp?
Thanks for the info, yeah, 2nd try with IE and the download was available. I almost installed it but cancelled (I think) before it was completed. However, the files was downloaded (105MB), so I can install if I want. I cancelled because I thought maybe, just maybe, I can access the content with another app, maybe VLC, maybe Winamp.

I poked around some in VLC and Winamp and don't see how I can access the iTunes audio (see page link to it in previous post) using either of them. Maybe it is possible. TBH, I don't care too much about this, I may just skip it if I have to install iTunes.

Nov 20, 2009
I had this happen to me yesterday on a company laptop. I was on the company network at the time and when the d/l finished the installer was nowhere to be found. I got off the company network and the d/l worked just fine.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I stopped using apple.com for film trailers when they started obfuscating the route to get to the media content. It looks like they're doing the same thing with those audio feeds you want to access.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
They should not have DRM involved. Here's the page:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/kalx-90.7fm-the-graduates/id354826035?mt=10

The files are all there available to "View in iTunes"

When I click on any of the files I am taken to a page to download iTunes. On this computer I have VLC installed (just updated to latest version), don't have iTunes installed. I can't see a way (yet) to get VLC to play the files. Do you see a way? :confused:

So, they're podcasts. I don't see a way to listen. but perhaps they have them somewhere else in electronic form? I would certainly complain to the program director. Of all places, Berkeley should be releasing the feeds in a format that respects your freedom(ogg or opus). It's *very* unprogressive requiring proprietary software. It would be trivial for them to upload the podcasts to InternetArchive. It's both gratis and libre, and would reach a wider audience.

I guess you noticed you can listen live, but you can do that anyway over the air.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So, they're podcasts. I don't see a way to listen. but perhaps they have them somewhere else in electronic form? I would certainly complain to the program director. Of all places, Berkeley should be releasing the feeds in a format that respects your freedom(ogg or opus). It's *very* unprogressive requiring proprietary software. It would be trivial for them to upload the podcasts to InternetArchive. It's both gratis and libre, and would reach a wider audience.

I guess you noticed you can listen live, but you can do that anyway over the air.
No, I didn't notice that I can listen live, I guess that means I can click on one and hear it immediately. What I got IIRC is an entreaty to DL and install iTunes.

I already sent an email to the woman who's evidently managing the program on some level, just asking her if there's another way of streaming the programs without having to instal iTunes. I imagine I'll get a response and I can suggest the InternetArchive idea (I'd never heard of them). Thanks!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Here's a link to their live streams...

http://kalx.berkeley.edu/how-listen
Uh, yeah, that's in real time. I thought you meant listening to one of the podcasts in immediacy, as opposed to downloading it and listening to it later. I actually listen to the station in real time at their frequency 90.7FM. No reason for me to stream because I get a good FM signal.