I get the dumbest q's at work

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
My coworker comes and ask me if the new apple watch can make calls without the iphone. I said probably, looks like you need the watch + cellular one. I found a youtube video of a guy that just uses it for that purpose.. and send the link..

5 min goes by, but that means I need to add another line to my plan. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

How else would you connect the watch if you dont either add another line or pair it with a phone... MAGIK ???

I'm an accountant, not in IT

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I think you're wrong though. I am pretty sure you can connect it to your current plan, so that your iphone and watch will both have the same number. You just pay an additional monthly fee though, but you aren't adding a new line.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's only "like" it at all in the sense you pay monthly for it. Other than that it's nothing like it.

I'm even pretty sure that you share the same data between the two. Also you can't just buy an iWatch and hook it up to a new line on your plan without a phone. You have to have it "matched" with an iPhone on your plan.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I think you're wrong though. I am pretty sure you can connect it to your current plan, so that your iphone and watch will both have the same number. You just pay an additional monthly fee though, but you aren't adding a new line.

when I had a samsung watch that had the same functionality, you have to get a 2nd line with its own number if you wanted to use the watch for calls and you were not in bluetooth distance of the phone...I am pretty sure it is still the same with these apple watches...you have to do some fowarding stuff so people would only see your primary phone number when using the watch.

Edit: I guess it is different now...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8087105

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Wouldn't the watch need it's own EIN - or whatever code the network uses to uniquely identify devices? If not, what happens if you leave your phone at home and you make a call on the watch when you're pinging a different tower?

If there are sub-identifiers in addition to the EIN, I guess you could build that functionality into a network, but then from the network's point of view, wouldn't you have to treat it as another device with access?

These aren't rhetorical questions. I'm actually curious. I understand how the cell system works about as well as I understand how a transmission works. "Well, you've got some gears and something that switches from one to another - oh, and there's this oil that transmits the power - somehow . . . . "

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
The apple watch has its own number/EMEI. When it's paired up with a phone, then it works as if there's only one number from the phone (pairing probably forwards it to the watch number). Supposedly you can call it directly on the second number assigned to the watch but it's more like a forwarding number. Wife has one and we had to get another number added for it from T-mobile for about $10 extra per month. My friend has Verizon and they do it differently that doesn't show up as an extra number but I'm guessing it's the same idea. The phone and watch must be from same carrier for it to work. I had a work phone from ATT and couldn't pair that watch with a Tmobile number . It will pair fine but the phone has to be within BT range for the watch to take calls. Defeats the purpose of the watch having its own cell so you can leave the phone at home or turn off the phone and the watch can still take calls/text.

Reactions: Charmonium

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005