I found an old coke bottle. Can you guys help me date this?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
We had glass quart bottles with screw tops wrapped in a thin jacket of styrofoam. That was the largest pop bottle the local bottlers produced until the plastic two liters. A&W would sell gallon jugs of root beer from the tap. Someone sold cardboard half gallons of pop from the tap but I don't recall where we got those now.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
I remember the quarts.

I guess afterwards you use it to yell at people.

vintage-root-beer-dog-suds-burger_1_023686db3b3bd21e402ff4e413979702.jpg

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
My early memories of Coke bottles includes when the gas station in our small town got a machine you could buy Coke from one bottle at a time. This was mid-1950's. It was a refrigerated chest with a hinged transparent lid you opened to reach in and slide the bottle along a slot between metal strips to the end, where a release mechanism allowed you to lift it out. The price was 5 cents a bottle, later raised to 7cents; the shape was the "classic Coke bottle" with thick walls. That was so they were durable and could be returned and re-used many times. The bottles at that time were 7 oz., and that was common for all soft drinks. 10 oz. bottles were introduced in the 60's. None of that time were the stubby light-weight version in OP's photo, so I'm guessing it comes from later, perhaps the 80's.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
1960's diamond embossed.

Sounds like you didn't find it, you took it from the worker who did.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Yes, but do you remember the glass 2 liter coke bottles that preceded the plastic ones ?
Maybe some regions had those and not others depending on the local jottli g company. Before modern 2-liters we had those 2-piece ones.

Back when cans had a tab you pulled off completely I also recall giant 3-liter bottles which had a metal cap just like the personal size glass bottles (16oz or the smaller retro-style bottles).