I finally bought my first pair of wireless earbuds to use with Galaxy S10+

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
After looking at many reviews and reading user reviews, I went with the Sennheiser CX 400 BT.

I didn't need any noise cancellation, I just wanted a pair that reliably connected via Bluetooth, and didn't have so much bass that it would take away from mids and highs. I strongly also considered the Jabra 65/75 series and the Samsung Buds+ Plus. However, Jabra seems to sell A LOT of refurbished units on many different retailer websites, and the Samsung ones weren't on sale so they were around $50 ($100 vs. $150) more than the Sennheiser ones were selling for.

While I still think that headphones plugged in still sound the best, it will be convenient to not have a wire while walking the trail at the local park with my dog. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the CX 400 BT's and after some EQ adjustments, Pink Floyd still sounds pretty good.

So I know I already made my choice, but what models do you own/like?

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I use various Chinese brands. My favorite isdeleted. It's very similar to XYZ brand.

Racist stereotypes, pejoratives and tropes aren't allowed on anadtech.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Is the brand really called that?
Motion for ban. That was super childish, and insensitive IMO.

About 2 years ago, I bought a pair of cheap BT headphones:

Never used them until this week, since the headphone jack is no longer a thing on current flagships. Sounds fine, but the battery life is well under an hour. It's probably my fault because I left them in the box all this time. All I need is something that'll work for an hour at the gym, but multi-hour battery life is certainly useful to handle a mixture of music and phone usage.

These days, Amazon is infested with fake reviews. There is a popular racket where vendors compensate for 5-star reviews. It almost doesn't make dollars and sense; last week I bought a $5 phone case and included in the product was a small card offering me a $15 gift card for a review. I understand why they want to juice their ratings, but how many cheap phone cases would they have to sell to make up for the incentives?

My point is that you can't really trust Amazon reviews of all these random made-in-China consumer electronics; many if not most of those reviews are suspect. You have to do a ton of research and then make a judgment call. Obviously no major heartache if you buy $20 earphones that underwhelm (and can be returned).

There's a consumer shift now to the in-ear buds style earphones, as popularized by the Apple AirPods. I'm probably not going to buy anything soon, but from initial reading, both Anker and Aukey make decent products on the low end (sub $40). For example, the Anker Soundcore Life P2. CNET has an entire list of recommendations.

Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I figured that's what they meant, I just was giving them the benefit of doubt that there really was a brand out there called that.
These days, Amazon is infested with fake reviews.
Yeah, Amazon reviews are practically worthless anymore because you can easily see they are fake (or they got the product for free/reduced cost) if they left a 5-star review.

I ended up buying my pair from Crutchfield, and while their amount of user reviews are a whole lot less than on Amazon, they carried more weight in my decision while I was deciding which pair to go with.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I've got some Galaxy Buds live (the beans) that came cheap with a phone.
I like them because they just sort of sit in your ear. I don't like the buds that sit in your ear canal, it feels too much like I have a bad cold! Plus I like to be able to hear a little of what's going on around me.
The buds live sound pretty good for what they are and they play nice with Google assistant if you want to look like a loony and talk to yourself in public.
Theres also an app that makes them work with windows the same way they work with a Samsung phone which is great.
They are also very unobtrusive so you can totally get away with listening to the rugby commentary while nodding interestedly at other people's conversations.

I don't like that it's a real faff when you go into a shop. With wired headphones you can just dangle them around your neck. With wireless ones you end up juggling tiny, fragile, expensive things and stuffing them into random pockets and then not finding them again.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The feel of having them in your ear definitely noticeable, but I'm hoping as I use them more, I will notice it less and less (hopefully).

I guess when I was looking at the various models, I never really came across the style where they sit in the ear. Since I was looking at the in-ear kind, all the recommendations and suggestions were models in the same kind of style from different brands. I did notice the Apple Earpods Pro (and several brands pretty much "being inspired" by at design). If I can't get used to the feeling of having them in my ear, I might have to look for the style you mention.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I am serious. I have a bunch of generic Chinese brands ear buds. I expect an apology. There is no reason to spend $100 when you can buy Chinese bluetooth ear buds for $10-$30. It's hit and miss but sometimes you get really good buds.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I am serious. I have a bunch of generic Chinese brands ear buds. I expect an apology. There is no reason to spend $100 when you can buy Chinese bluetooth ear buds for $10-$30. It's hit and miss but sometimes you get really good buds.
I don't think anyone's taking issues with your premise that you can get decent cheap ear buds from China.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Aren't they all Chinese?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I am serious. I have a bunch of generic Chinese brands ear buds. I expect an apology.
An apology? Really? :oops:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ching_chong
"Ching chong" and "ching chang chong" are racist pejorative terms sometimes employed by speakers of the English language to mock or play on the Chinese language (and sometimes other languages of Asia), people of Chinese ancestry, or other people of East or Southeast Asian descent perceived to be Chinese. Several public commentators have characterized the term as derogatory, noting that assaults or physical intimidation of East and Southeast Asians are often accompanied by racial slurs or incomprehensible imitation Chinese.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
You are quoting wikipedia? That can be changed and adjusted for accuracy by most anyone to suit their needs or political correctness. Is the news real on tv or are they just reading the teleprompter? You be the judge.

Video redacted

What part of no to your ethnic insensitivity is hard for you to grasp?
For your own good, don't repeat this any more.

Iron Woode
Super Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Trying to get things back on track, one of my kids did buy my wife a pair of "cheap" earbuds last year for her birthday since she wanted something she could use when working out, and she seems to like them well enough. I never tried them before ordering mine, but they seem to have held up and provide a stable Bluetooth connection (otherwise she would have asked me to try and figure out what the problem was). I never really heard of the brand before she got them.

It looks like they are now around $25 with the current discount: https://www.amazon.com/TOZO-T6-Bluetooth-Headphones-Waterproof/dp/B07RGZ5NKS

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I entered the world of true wireless buds last April with the SENN MTW2's and was really impressed with the SQ. I had some nicer wired IEM's that I sold since if I'm out and about, I'm grabbing the wireless buds first and always. The MTW2 ANC is so-so, and with ANC on at high volumes, battery life is only 4 hours, but the chase charges them a bunch and that has never been a problem for my usage scenarios. I bought the Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch as well and they too sound very good. My other wired IEM's are gathering dust but may be needed at some point like say a long trip, so I'll keep them around. Both use aptX which is good because I'm on Android. A lot of these newer models are just doing AAC and SBC.

The Sennheiser CX 400 BT at $99 are probably one of the best deals for TW buds right now, the Senn sound is so good, high quality, good controls, solid connection.

I tired the JBL Club Pro Plus and the higher end Technics model, but returned both for various reasons.

For the best ANC - Bose, Sony, the higher end Technics are some of the best. The Technics ANC when I tested it was fantastic. For best call quality - Jabra is usually rated as the best in that category.

There is a whole big thread at the head-fi.org forums on TW buds. Also they call Chinese brands 'Chi-Fi'. There's a whole thread over there specifically on Chi-Fi portable buds, any style.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
My ears don't suit ANC at all.
It feels like I'm listening to stuff with my head stuck in a goldfish bowl!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
ANC is an acquired taste for sure, and something that people who really need it for their particular environment. That's why I looked for a pair without that (why pay for it if you really don't use it).

I have one pair of over-the-ear headphones with NC, and the only way to disable it is by plugging the headphones into a audio jack. I'd always keep it off if I could, but it seems like most of newer headphones now have NC have an user option to easily disable it. I just wish I had realized that before buying mine a few years back.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

About 2 years ago, I bought a pair of cheap BT headphones:

Never used them until this week, since the headphone jack is no longer a thing on current flagships. Sounds fine, but the battery life is well under an hour. It's probably my fault because I left them in the box all this time. All I need is something that'll work for an hour at the gym, but multi-hour battery life is certainly useful to handle a mixture of music and phone usage.

These days, Amazon is infested with fake reviews. There is a popular racket where vendors compensate for 5-star reviews. It almost doesn't make dollars and sense; last week I bought a $5 phone case and included in the product was a small card offering me a $15 gift card for a review. I understand why they want to juice their ratings, but how many cheap phone cases would they have to sell to make up for the incentives?

My point is that you can't really trust Amazon reviews of all these random made-in-China consumer electronics; many if not most of those reviews are suspect. You have to do a ton of research and then make a judgment call. Obviously no major heartache if you buy $20 earphones that underwhelm (and can be returned).

There's a consumer shift now to the in-ear buds style earphones, as popularized by the Apple AirPods. I'm probably not going to buy anything soon, but from initial reading, both Anker and Aukey make decent products on the low end (sub $40). For example, the Anker Soundcore Life P2. CNET has an entire list of recommendations.
well they will switch the item after the fake reviews, you never wonder why you click a big ticket 5 star item and the reviews are all talking about some other product.......... i use a pair of galaxy buds? not sure which version think they where 90$ a few years ago, do the cx400's sound amazing?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
well they will switch the item after the fake reviews, you never wonder why you click a big ticket 5 star item and the reviews are all talking about some other product.......... i use a pair of galaxy buds? not sure which version think they where 90$ a few years ago, do the cx400's sound amazing?
I'm pretty happy with their sound. I've only had them for a few days, so I haven't been able to listen to a whole lot of my music catalog (mainly a few Pink Floyd albums so far). Since this my first pair, I can't really compare them to any other earbud models, but based on previous experience with Sennheiser headphones, I generally like their sound signature over most other brands.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
There are good usb-c dongles btw if you want to stick to wired buds and still maintain portability - they both act as DACs and slightly amplify the music as well. I have an iBasso DC02 and a Meizu Pro. I prefer the iBasso though it is a tad chunkier, the sound is just a bit warmer and more lush/rich

However, once going wireless, it's just too dang convenient to not have to deal with wires when on the go, or even when hanging out at home, like say vacuuming or cooking. But when out and about it's just so much nicer not to have wires, plus the good True Wireless buds have good touch control systems, which make things even more convenient.

Those Senn's are definitely one of the best deals in TWS right now if you don't want to deal with digging through a lot of ChiFi reviews.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I've had BT earbuds for many year, I can't even remember all of them. I mostly wear them when running or biking, so what I buy tends to need to be geared towards that. Right now I have two pair in use. Skull Candy Indy and some Bose SoundSport earbuds. The Indy seem to be about the best buds I've had as far as staying in my ears when running.

I've gone through two pair of Jaybird X3's before I quit buying them, they seem to fail without warning for me, they just quit taking a charge. I had a pair of Sennheiser sport buds years ago that were alright, I ended up stopping using them as they would fall out of my ears. I've had a pair of Sony's, the ones called the "Walkman" I think where they had the memory built-in so you didn't need to pair them with a phone.

I've had even more wired buds over the years, mostly Sony as they seemed to work well for $30 and were easily replaced. Right now I have two pair of wired headphones, some B&O that came with my LG V40 a couple years ago, and a pair of Sony reference headphones that sound amazing on my LG as it uses that fabulous quad-dac and enhanced voltage so it can drive them.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Around three times a week, after the family goes to bed, I generally will stretch out on the couch, throw headphones on and listen to a couple of albums before going to bed. Many times I eventually fall asleep, which really hasn't been an issue with headphones. I wake up, take the headphones off, and head to bed.

I've tried this same approach a few times now with the earbuds, and both times I have woken up to find the earbuds either laying on the floor or on the couch. I'm really not sure if I'm removing them because they are getting uncomfortable, or I'm laying on the side of my head and knocking them out. I wake up and have zero idea how I have managed to do it.