I fail at exotic fruits...

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
I always like to try new things... If I see something at the supermarket I have never seen before, I'll buy one just for the experience...

Well yesterday I bought a Pomegranate, thinking this looks like a good fruit... At first I thought it was going to be like a flshy apple... but I was wrong!!!

So i brought it home and cut it open... and there is nothing but seeds...

I'm pretty sure you dont eat the seeds... but there was nothing else inside???!?
I tried to eat a little of the green/white flesh material seperating the seeds... tasted like cabbage...hmm... So now I'm :confused: & clueless... HTF do you eat a Pomegranate?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
You eat only the seeds (as far as I know). And those are very tasty. Just the right amount of tartness. Too bad it is a pain in the neck to eat (stains are easy).

Oct 20, 2005
Originally posted by: sao123
I always like to try new things... If I see something at the supermarket I have never seen before, I'll buy one just for the experience...

Well yesterday I bought a Pomegranate, thinking this looks like a good fruit... At first I thought it was going to be like a flshy apple... but I was wrong!!!

So i brought it home and cut it open... and there is nothing but seeds...

I'm pretty sure you dont eat the seeds... but there was nothing else inside???!?
I tried to eat a little of the green/white flesh material seperating the seeds... tasted like cabbage...hmm... So now I'm :confused: & clueless... HTF do you eat a Pomegranate?

So you're telling us that you opened it up, saw a sh!t load of seeds and did NOT even try one of them after tasting the white/shell part? why didn't you at least try a seed before posting this?

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
The fleshy material on the inside is lethal even in small doses. Visit a doctor now before you kick the bucket.

;)

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomegranate

After opening the pomegranate by scoring it with a knife and breaking it open, the arils (seed casings) are separated from the skin (peel) and internal white supporting structures (pith and carpellary membrane). Separating the red arils can be simplified by performing this task in a bowl of water, whereby the arils will sink and the white structures will float to the top. The entire seed is consumed raw, though the fleshy outer portion of the seed is the part that is desired. The taste differs depending on the variety of pomegranate and its state of ripeness. It can be very sweet or it can be very sour or tangy, but most fruits lie somewhere in between, which is the characteristic taste, laced with notes of its tannin.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Yes, you eat the seeds. You need to cut the skin into sections, then you peel it away to expose the berries inside. Be careful to not get any juice on you- it NEVER comes out.

At first I read "erotic fruits"....

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Yes, you eat the seeds. You need to cut the skin into sections, then you peel it away to expose the berries inside. Be careful to not get any juice on you- it NEVER comes out.

At first I read "erotic fruits"....

There are some fruits that are very erotic. Such as the banana and strawberries. But I don't think instructions are needed with those.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Mucho
You don't eat the seeds, just suck the juice from them.
I eat the entire seed, as do just about everyone I've ever seen eat a pomegranate.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
apparently i'm just bad at fruit, i just got yelled at by my wife for eating my kiwi without peeling it first...
:frown:

I am so craving fresh pineapple right now!!!

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: sao123
apparently i'm just bad at fruit, i just got yelled at by my wife for eating my kiwi without peeling it first...
:frown:

I am so craving fresh pineapple right now!!!

there's no reason to peel a kiwi, the skin adds fiber and tartness.

the trouble with pomegranates is that you have to stay in hell a number of months equal to the seeds you've eaten.

screw that.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
I did a similar thing to you, but I failed worse. I threw out all the seeds and then proceeded to eat most of the other interior material. :eek: And yes it wasn't very good. Now I know what to do!