I dropped my phone in soda

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I dropped my phone yesterday into a cup of coke, it was about half submerged and the phone was still on for a good three seconds. I took out the battery and let it dry for the night, when I tried to start it up this morning it wouldn't turn on. I just tried plugging it in then trying to turn it on, but as soon as I turn it on the screen turns bright white and doesn't do anything, but if I plug it in while the battery is in it, nothing happens. Is my phone completely dead and if it is, can I recover data off of it, such as my contacts? I don't have a SIM card on it though.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Sounds like you're out of luck. I deal with sim cards here at work and they are the only real means of transferring data between phones w/o the phone functioning. If you find a solution let me know, I'd like to know if the situation ever comes up here.
You might try borrowing an identical battery and seeing if that will work.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Originally posted by: GenHoth
Sounds like you're out of luck. I deal with sim cards here at work and they are the only real means of transferring data between phones w/o the phone functioning. If you find a solution let me know, I'd like to know if the situation ever comes up here.
You might try borrowing an identical battery and seeing if that will work.

I tried an identical battery, still with no luck. Does soda kill electrics, because I heard that if you let water dry out of electronics, it will be okay. My mom dropped her camera down a waterfall once and it was okay after letting it dry out.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
I'd say yes, water itself isn't a great conductor of electricity but if you add in electrolytes it gets much better. Sometimes when you drop electronics in water they get fried, if you're quick and lucky sometimes it doesn't. But with all of the acids and sugar, salt and corn syrups (etc) in pop you stand a good chance of shorting something, or corroding an important piece. Perhaps the phone only lost its flashed memory. If you take it to a store its possible they could take it out and have a look, though I'd say that its a very slim chance due to all of the mem, not just your contacts, going.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Coke is pretty acidic. I remember old stories about it cleaning pennies, though I never tried it myself. Then there are all the sugars and dyes and minerals that the previous reply alluded to. Frankly, I don't think you have a chance in hell of that phone working again. If there had been some way to disassemble it immediately and thoroughly rinse and dry all the components using distilled water (or even better a solvent-based electronics cleaner) you might have come out of it with a working phone. But I think even that would have been a long shot.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Well, if it is broken, then I need a phone before this Sunday. Are there any cheap Verizon phones I could buy in such short notice?

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
All phone companies will sell to you on the spot and be ecstatic. Just take your policy in with you and get your new phone hooked up with the old one's number and you're good to go.

Edit: BTW, coke is acidic. But not as bad as those rumors. just FYI ;)

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
All phone companies will sell to you on the spot and be ecstatic. Just take your policy in with you and get your new phone hooked up with the old one's number and you're good to go.

Edit: BTW, coke is acidic. But not as bad as those rumors. just FYI ;)

actually, I've used it to clean chrome bumpers on cars, and chrome on bikes also...works awesome, just like the rumors state.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Yeah, but some people talk about taking the blood off streets, things like that. Plus you have to wash all that sugar and syrup away when you're done. Next time I buff my car I'll use your suggestion and get some coke! ;)

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yeah, but some people talk about taking the blood off streets, things like that. Plus you have to wash all that sugar and syrup away when you're done. Next time I buff my car I'll use your suggestion and get some coke! ;)

never heard the streets rumor, and don't buff your car with it lol, just use coke to add the sparkle to your chrome :)

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Originally posted by: ch33zw1z

never heard the streets rumor, and don't buff your car with it lol, just use coke to add the sparkle to your chrome :)

Makes sense I guess. The standard product for cleaning corroded chrome has always been Naval Jelly, which is essentially a weak acid solution in a gel suspension.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
coke didn't bother me till I was watching the show "how its made" the other day.

They were showing them making the cans for the cola, and then when they finished they sprayed the inside of the cans with varnish. The narrator added "This is to protect the aluminum in the can from the cola" .

Kinda made me think, if they have to varnish aluminum, whats it doing to me ? :p

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I would say you need a new phone. Coke is very sticky along with the other bad things
mentioned about it above. What type of phone was it ? ? ? Motorola or LG ? ? ?
Do you have a program for saving the phone contacts ? ??
Check out howardforums.com ... and also http://www.maxedmobiles.com/index.php

Both have good resources on all kinds of cell phones. FYI: Verizon Wireless will let
you store your contacts on line for no charge after you set up access to your account
at the VZ Wireless web site .. something to consider after you get your new phone.
I have a Motorola Razr V3M and I back it up every month or so on my computer with
Motorola Mobile Phone Tools ... well worth it. If you were local, I would try to recover
the contacts for you (I am in northern new jersey)

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: bruceb
I would say you need a new phone. Coke is very sticky along with the other bad things

Both have good resources on all kinds of cell phones. FYI: Verizon Wireless will let
you store your contacts on line for no charge after you set up access to your account
at the VZ Wireless web site .. something to consider after you get your new phone.
I have a Motorola Razr V3M and I back it up every month or so on my computer with
Motorola Mobile Phone Tools ... well worth it. If you were local, I would try to recover

We use a $20 sim card reader here at work. But it still requires a sim card or a connection to the computer! (a working OS)

Try and get something with a sim card for your new phone, that way you're covered if the phone dies! (and doesn't take the sim card with it somehow ;))

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Modelworks
coke didn't bother me till I was watching the show "how its made" the other day.

They were showing them making the cans for the cola, and then when they finished they sprayed the inside of the cans with varnish. The narrator added "This is to protect the aluminum in the can from the cola" .

Kinda made me think, if they have to varnish aluminum, whats it doing to me ? :p

lol, well it has to stay in that can for a long time, it doesn't have to stay in your stomach for long, but I still get your point.

benzylic

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2006

We use a $20 sim card reader here at work. But it still requires a sim card or a connection to the computer! (a working OS)

Try and get something with a sim card for your new phone, that way you're covered if the phone dies! (and doesn't take the sim card with it somehow ;))

Umm, Verizon uses a CDMA network SIM cards don't work with CDMA phones.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
He has Verizon Wireless ... that is a CDMA based cell phone system
and such, does not use a SIM card ... only cell phones that work on
the GSM system have a SIM card

Verizon WIreless & Sprint & Alltel use CDMA Phones .. no SIM Card

AT&T Wireless / Cingular & T-Mobile both use GSM Phones ... SIM Card

See this link: http://www.cellular-news.com/coverage/usa.php

You can easily find what types of systems are used in what areas of the world.
There are many other cell services that also use CDMA than I listed above.

But it comes down to this: CDMA .. NO SIM CARD ....... GSM ... HAS A SIM CARD

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
The general rule for water-damaged electronic stuff:
It's already been wet once and pure water is pretty safe. Most wave-soldered PCB boards include water rinses as part of their processing steps.
Remove any batteries and soak it in warm, purified water to dissolve any residues.
Rinse and repeat (to quote the shampoo commercials).
Dry it using moving air.

It can't hurt anything if the electronics already don't work.

MadAmos

Sep 13, 2006
Originally posted by: RebateMonger
It's already been wet once and pure water is pretty safe. Most wave-soldered PCB boards include water rinses as part of their processing steps.
Remove any batteries and soak it in warm, purified water to dissolve any residues.
Dry it using moving air.

:thumbsup:

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Dry it using moving air.

Okay, I'll give it a try.
edit: This person recommends baking it in an oven on warm, do you think that's a good idea to get the moisture out? http://www.lifehack.org/articl...merged-cell-phone.html
What if I just leave it in my car instead to dry out? The temperatures are hot, but not at over temperatures.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
He has Verizon Wireless ... that is a CDMA based cell phone system
and such, does not use a SIM card ... only cell phones that work on
the GSM system have a SIM card

Verizon WIreless & Sprint & Alltel use CDMA Phones .. no SIM Card

AT&T Wireless / Cingular & T-Mobile both use GSM Phones ... SIM Card

See this link: http://www.cellular-news.com/coverage/usa.php

You can easily find what types of systems are used in what areas of the world.
There are many other cell services that also use CDMA than I listed above.

But it comes down to this: CDMA .. NO SIM CARD ....... GSM ... HAS A SIM CARD
Chill out man! It was just a suggestion! Whew, I feel like I should be diving for cover after offering a piece of glib advice!

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Smartazz
edit: This person recommends baking it in an oven on warm, do you think that's a good idea to get the moisture out?
I'd stick with a fan. It's too easy to have an accident with an oven.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Smartazz
edit: This person recommends baking it in an oven on warm, do you think that's a good idea to get the moisture out?
I'd stick with a fan. It's too easy to have an accident with an oven.

lol. I'd definately stay away from an oven, which honestly sounds retarded to use with electronics regardless of setting.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I soaked it in water for about three hours, then left it under a very small fan overnight. When I woke up this morning, I used a hair dryer on warm to help get the moisture out, but I was sure not to damage the LCD screen with the heat. I stuck in the battery and at first the loading screen lagged, but it started up and appears to be okay now. Thank you all very much for the directions.