I don't want to decline and fade away

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I see the other thread, but don't want to clutter it up with what some might consider insensitive.

I don't want to languish for weeks or months or years.

I want to go quickly, lights out. No muss, no fuss.

We need places and abilities to go with dignity, by our own choice while we can still make that choice.

To deny is cruel and inhumane.

Come follow me to the mountains where we will wait for the great Buddha, and we will become reincarnated my friend.

I want to come back as king kong in my next life. :)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I want to come back as king kong in my next life. :)

Let's manage those expectations! ;)

baby-monkey.gif

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Wife and I have had this discussion. We are essentially on the same page; we'd like the option to go peacefully if something happens to one or both of us and we're just being kept alive with no quality of life. I have not read up on the issue TBH, so don't really have any understanding of the legal aspects. I assume that a lot of the resistance for even giving the option is the Christian belief that suicide damns you to an eternity in hell.

suicidebooth.jpg

From what I understand suicide as a sin was never brought up in the old and new testament. Suicide as a sin was never addressed until the Catholic church made it a sin because it was becoming common practice. Anyway, sin according to the Christian view is very narrow. What if you're mentally unstable? What if the medication that you're taking influences you to commit suicide? Chris Cornell is an example. What if you have a horrible disease like Britney Maynard, who was suffering from terminal brain cancer? She chose death with dignity. I could go on. My point is its never black and white. There is always an underlying factor which religion (Islam, Christanity) never addresses. Suicide should always be the last option. Not because of religious belief, but because the pain that would be felt by the people who are left behind.

Nov 17, 2019
In a store today, I overheard one fifty something guy telling another about putting his Mom in a home, but they wouldn't take her as she wasn't far enough gone yet. Then they went on to assisted living .....

Those places are death for the undead.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
In a store today, I overheard one fifty something guy telling another about putting his Mom in a home, but they wouldn't take her as she wasn't far enough gone yet. Then they went on to assisted living .....

Those places are death for the undead.
My grandma was in an assisted living for a few years after my grandfather passed. It was really good for her. Nursing homes, though...

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would say hang in there, unless you are really in pain. In most cases, you can get help. Overall though, I think that it should be the individual's choice as to whether they want to end their life or not. I get that there are many different situations, so it is not clear cut though. If someone is depressed, I think they should get help. However, in some situations, such as to avoid capture in war to a really bad enemy, suicide is the best way, but only after almost running out of ammo. In that case, always save one bullet extra, or a cyanide capsule.