I don't understand why Android tablet manufacturers are failing

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
If you just look out the quote complete out of content it would seem that way, but with the context it's actually a pretty funny joke. The problem is that the context easily gets lost and that with plain text there's no emotion conveyed so what has been inferred could be vastly different from what was implied.

Here's the full context:

I've bolded that part that was specifically replied to show how this could be misinterpreted, but really it's just a play on words. Throwing a ;) or a :p in there would better convey the mood of the comment, but without that there's no way to clearly determine the tone of the message. It could be mean-spirited or simple jest in good fun.

Jumping on someone for the former without at least pausing to give thought to the possibility of the later only exacerbates the problem. We just end up going off on another tangent and further removing the thread from the original topic. Worse still, it might end up getting the thread locked and that just limits discussion.

That said, this thread is starting to wander off topic. Although I've been thinking about the topic a lot recently, because it was an interesting question, and will try to make a post on it later that offers some good points. Hopefully that can steer things back on course and provide some good conversation on the subject.

Based on his posts so far in this thread its pretty easy to tell it is a mean spirited comment. The poster has angry remarks and has attacked multiple people in this entire thread, maybe he didn't take his meds this week?

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Based on his posts so far in this thread its pretty easy to tell it is a mean spirited comment. The poster has angry remarks and has attacked multiple people in this entire thread, maybe he didn't take his meds this week?

Why would I take your meds?

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Over the past few days, I've been thinking about this question in more depth. After reading a lot of the responses from other posters, it's pretty clear that there's no one, good reason that perfectly explains why Android tablets aren't doing as well as some might have expected. On the other hand, I don't think that it's death by a million paper cuts either, and that there are a few key points that can be explored.

Setting Expectations

Before we can even ask if Android manufacturers are failing, we have to define what it means to be successful. If we were to look at the tablet market pre-iPad, we would probably classify Android tablets as wildly successful as Microsoft didn't ship terribly many tablets. I don't know what the sales figures are, but I wouldn't be surprised if the original Transformer sold more in the short time it's been out than Windows tablets have since they debuted around a decade ago.

I think that the definition of success comes from Android's position in the mobile phone market, where it's grown to around 60%. For some reason, many people made the assumption that the same would be seen in the tablet market without really stopping to consider the differences between the two markets and why that assumption might not hold.

First, the market for mobile phones is vastly larger than the tablet market and probably always will be and the way that consumers buy phones is significantly different than they way that they by tablets, at least at the current time. In the US where most phones are sold at a subsidized rate, Android has experienced a significant advantage in that you could get a $0 Android phone with a contract, where as that has only recently become true for the iPhone. Even in countries where the phone isn't subsidized, Android phones can still be had for a lower price.

Given the numerous studies that have shown that iOS users tend to consume more data and account for more web usage, it would seem that many Android users are buying a smartphone simply because it doesn't cost more than a dumb phone, but aren't really interested in the smart features. My mom recently picked up a Droid 2 when her old dumb phone stopped working, not because she really needed the capabilities of the phone, but simply because it didn't cost any more than a replacement dumb phone and the sales representative at Verizon talked her into getting it.

This type of purchasing habit isn't the same for tablets. The vast majority of consumers may not have actual need for a tablet, whereas most consumers can easily understand why they need, not merely want, to have a mobile phone. In this way, I feel as though the sales of Android phones are somewhat inflated and that this has unfairly adjusted expectations of sales.

It's the Software Silly

After watching part of the iPad 3 (or whatever it's called) the other day, Tim Cook made some interesting comparisons between Android and iOS apps. I don't know if he cherry picked examples, and I personally don't use any of the apps that he used as examples so my own experience was limited, but the differences between the two were immense. In his own words, the Android applications simply looked like scaled versions of a phone application, which they very well may have been. The iPad applications, on the other hand, appeared to be specifically designed to take use of the additional screen space. Even looking at the pictures side by side, it's easy to tell that the iOS user experience is vastly superior.

There are also underlying differences between the two platforms. Apple had a yearlong head start in the tablet space. The first Android tablets ran 2.x and were essentially just a larger phone interface. Google was quick to respond with Honeycomb, but admitted that it was somewhat of a rushed job and were reluctant to release to source. This may have been the right move, if only to keep companies from rushing subpar products to get in on the tablet craze that would only hurt the Android brand in the long run. Only recently has ICS been released, and even then the number of devices that it's shipping on is rather limited.

There's also the matter of an ecosystem. Fraser Speirs, an educator who implemented a pilot program to test the use of tablets in schools, made a recent blog post that covers this, any many other issues with Android. His main points are that the kinds of apps that he wants are only available on iOS and that market fragmentation between versions of Android has made it difficult for developers to take advantage of the latest APIs. Another point is that many of the devices are EoL in terms of updates and supports in under a year, making it difficult to invest in them and creating a feedback loop where developers need to write for older APIs in order to target a larger consumer base. This problem is further magnified by the Kindle Fire and the Nook, which run older versions of Android, but are far and away the most popular tablets.

Stuck in the Middle

Another problem that Android manufacturers are facing is that they are being squeezed from both ends. The software ecosystem of Android currently does not provide as much value to many consumers as iOS does, such that even if their tablets have better specs on paper, it doesn't necessarily translate to a better user experience. This means that most cannot compete on price parity with Apple. Apple's supply chain is also vastly superior to any other manufacturer, meaning that even if both were to release identical hardware and software, Apple would still enjoy a cost advantage. These things drive the price of Android tablets down and reduce the profits of the manufacturers.

API fragmentation isn't the only impact from the introduction of the Kindle Fire and Nook. These devices have targeted the low end and are generally sold at cost because both Amazon and B&N have a business model that allows them to subsidize the hardware and generate profit through the sales of apps, books, music, and other media. This naturally removes the ability of other manufactures to compete in the slim margin section of the market. As Amazon and B&N decide to move beyond the realm of 7" tablets, companies may soon find that it's not possible to compete in the 10" tablet space either as Amazon and B&N begin to offer competing products that other companies cannot compete with on price alone.

This eventually places the third party manufacturers into an uncomfortable position where they are unable to compete at the lowest end on price because they are incapable of generating value after the sale of the product and cannot compete at the high end as they are also incapable of adding significant value to the OS or ecosystem of the product that they sell. This leaves them fighting over a small pool of customers that isn't incredibly price conscious and will buy from Amazon or B&N and those who don't want to buy at the high end. There are an even smaller group of customers who are interested in the high end, but uninterested in iOS that could be valuable, but no one really knows how big this market segment is at the moment and there might not be enough customers in it to sustain multiple competitors targeting those consumers.

Another problem is that some previous Android devices have not experienced good sell through. This results in a lot of unsold stock that is eventually deeply discounted and sold for either no profit or at a loss. This eventually limits the number of consumers in the market for a new tablet as they've just bought last years model, which results in more unsold stock that needs to be sold at a discount. In an effort to cash in on the tablet craze, several manufacturers moved to get products into the market, leading to a flood of available choices. Unfortunately, when the supply vastly outweighs the demand, the price will erode rather quickly. From a consumer perspective this is great, but it's not good for the manufacturers.

Moving Beyond Content Creation

This almost overlaps with the idea of software, but I feel that it deserves its own special case, simply because of how mind-blowingly important it is. Probably the biggest knock I've heard against tablets and why a lot of consumers are avoiding them is that they're "only good for content consumption." While that's true to a limited degree, it's becoming less true, at least for iOS.

With the latest iPad announcement, Apple also released iPhoto, which looked incredibly impressive. This means that the iPad has the entire iLife and iWork suite of applications available on it. Does Android even have anything close or nearly as polished as these options that are available from Apple? Apple doesn't seem content to have something that's merely useful for viewing email, browsing the web, or consuming media. They've developed a large number of apps that can be used to allow for the creation of content. There's also a number of third parties that have seen the potential for content creation on tablets, and most of them have focused mainly on iOS development. AutoDesk announced a new product at the recent Apple event and companies like the Omni Group have been making content creation tools for the iPad from the beginning.

Right now it feels as though Apple is the only company to have the vision and bold attitude to believe that a tablet can be good for more than just content consumption. They're certainly good for that, but they can be so much more. This in turn feeds back into the notion that Apple is creating more value in iOS than Android can offer. After watching the iPhoto demonstration I'm convinced that it will make basic photo editing something that almost anyone can accomplish, even if they've never done it before. The simplicity of the way that they've done things really surprised me. In some regards, iOS is making content creation vastly more accessible to people who would otherwise not be interested.

The Power of Vertical Integration

Currently Apple has a greater degree of vertical integration than any other technology company. The usual explanation is that they develop both the hardware and the software, but it goes a little further than that. With iOS, Apple has even started designing some of the hardware components that go into their devices, most notably the SoC at the heart of every iOS device. In the other direction, they're also designing a lot of the applications that will run on top of the OS software that they've designed. This allows a lot of collaborative effort to go into the design of future products. The guys developing something like iPhoto can talk to the OS developers about adding new APIs and in turn the OS developers can talk with the SoC developers about adding dedicated hardware to the SoC to greatly speed up certain operations and reduce power consumption. This can also flow in the opposite direction where the hardware team can tell the OS and app development teams what improvements are coming long in advance which can let development for new and improved versions of the software to start in advance. The teams at Apple knew far in advance that a retina display was coming and could plan accordingly.

If we look at Android, we see the opposite picture. One company (Google) develops the OS (Which is later bastardized by the third party manufacturers adding another set of problems.), whereas other companies design the hardware products (ASUS, Motorola), which are made from components mostly created by other third party manufacturers (TI, Qualcomm, Samsung), and outside of the Google apps, major applications are made by other parties. Of the companies making Android tablets, the only one that's even close to Apple is Samsung who does design and manufacture many of the components that go into their products.

Apple could further integrate by outright buying manufacturers and designing and producing their own components, and perhaps that's the next step for them, but they would need a much larger market in order to make that financially feasible and that does present its own set of downsides. The main takeaway is that Apple is capable of designing a much more cohesive product. Once again this makes it easier for them to develop really polished products and add value to the platform.

Conclusion and Summary

It's hard to say whether or not Android manufacturers are failing, and I believe the lens that's been used to judge their success if flawed. The tablet market is vastly different from the mobile phone market and I don't think a direct comparison between the two is apt. In this regard the entire premise of the question is flawed and further debate is entirely moot.

Of course moving beyond that, Apple has several other advantages that they can use to their benefit. Their vertical integration allows them to create a more cohesive product with less development effort and lag. They're also enjoying a healthy ecosystem which creates a positive feedback loop. It may not be too late for Android to catch up, but it gets harder every day. One can look at Windows Phone of a good example of how it can be immensely difficult to get into the game once the time frame has passed.

Apple's philosophy towards tablets will also help them moving forward. It seems that tablets were an afterthought for Google and to them it's just another space for them to move products. Apple seems more interested in creating a platform that enables more than just content consumption, whereas Google appears content to leave that up to third parties.

I think that these are the reasons that Android manufacturers are struggling, and with Amazon and B&N getting involved in the market and already grabbing a huge part of it, it's possible that Android by itself will become a niche within the market. The tablet market itself is still really new, so it's impossible to tell how it will shake out in the long term.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I have a PlayBook, and a couple of Android tablets, and an iPhone and a SGNote.

There is NO comparison between the PlayBook and the iPad. It's flipping 1/2 the size/screen and Flash isn't optimized for mobile/fouch use. Flash mobile is EOL, Adobe has formally quit developing it, and the argument is so far from valid it's pitiful. Zooming in and out constantly to interact with full sized web pages is tedious as best, the PlayBook doesn't even have a NetFlix app and it looks like it never will. I emailed eTrade to beg for an app and they told me to wait a year, by that time the PlayBook will be a slug compared to what else is out there.

You've obviously not used an iPad much if at all. I use my PlayBook nearly every day as well as the iPad and Android devices.

Flash crashes on my Windows notebook near daily. A Flash update notification just blew my internet connectivity, 2nd time in a week.

I played around a bit with an ipad and I wasn't too impressed by it. Like I said, the lack of flash support is a deal breaker for me and it makes the thing nothing but a fancy toy.

Browsing on the playbook is better. There is no more zooming than you would do on an ipad - I don't know what you were talking about there. Both screens have about the same resolution and the playbook has better specs. I don't know why anyone would pay $600 for an ipad when the playbook is $200.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
I played around a bit with an ipad and I wasn't too impressed by it. Like I said, the lack of flash support is a deal breaker for me and it makes the thing nothing but a fancy toy.

Browsing on the playbook is better. There is no more zooming than you would do on an ipad - I don't know what you were talking about there. Both screens have about the same resolution and the playbook has better specs. I don't know why anyone would pay $600 for an ipad when the playbook is $200.

Apps. Better experience.

Playbook has better specs? How so?

The majority of people don't use flash and don't miss flash. Yes you're in the minority but you still need flash to get things done, so more power to you.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
It has gps, way better cameras, 1080p video playback, hdmi out, and 1gb of ram vs 512mb.

Granted, the ipad3 has better specs for the most part but the playbook is significantly better than an ipad 2 in terms of specs.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
It has gps, way better cameras, 1080p video playback, hdmi out, and 1gb of ram vs 512mb.

Granted, the ipad3 has better specs for the most part but the playbook is significantly better than an ipad 2 in terms of specs.

How's it selling for blackberry? Missing out on core functionality until the latest update. You can get gps with iPad + 3G. Yeah the cameras on the iPad suck. I can play videos at 1080p also. Hdmi out with an adapter. Can't really do much with ram when you don't have much apps. The only thing that ram helps with is keeping apps in memory for fast app switching. Other than that it doesn't do anything with performance of the device. Plus I don't see any apps not working well because of lack of ram.

MaxFusion16

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2001

gps? get the 3g model, but its purpose is not a GPS

better cameras, ok I'll give you that, but still, it's not a designed as a camera, you look like a fool taking pics with a tablet

1080p playback, ipad 2 is fast enough for it, but it's moot, since neither tablet has a 1080p display.

hdmi out, get the adapter

1gb of ram, who cares how much ram it's got, as long as it works.

the ipad can be powered by sunshine and cow farts, I don't give a shit as long as it's speedy and does the job.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
What held Android tablets back was half baked stopgap Honeycomb and delusional pricing ($600+) out of the gate. Both will be resolved this year.
Apps are not as important for most users as some people think they are, as long as the essentials are well covered (unlike PlayBook), and there are sufficient non-essential apps like games to pass the time when bored. Just like PC users, there are those who buy a lot of applications and games, but most adults just use it for web and email, maybe edit a document here and there. That's why Kindle Fire had no problems selling. A lot of people just want to consume information, not apps. I have yet to feel lacking an app on my Touchpad. But I know I would miss widgets (RSS feeds on main screen), free navigation (I tether to my phone with GPSTether to get location and data), Google services integration, and yes, Flash, if it didn't have those. If you are an App person, then today you should probably go with an iPad. If you are an information consuming person, you'll be fine with Android for much less.
I think for now, the strategy for Android is to target the low end - mid range ($200-$400) and go for the volumes. They need to build an installed base of ICS devices. Once that's in place, app developers will come, and only then do you target the higher end and go for the app oriented consumers. First you build the base with value, and then you give them the premium product as the upgrade path. Last year, Android OEMs tried to do the reverse, and we see the results.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
How's it selling for blackberry? Missing out on core functionality until the latest update. You can get gps with iPad + 3G. Yeah the cameras on the iPad suck. I can play videos at 1080p also. Hdmi out with an adapter. Can't really do much with ram when you don't have much apps. The only thing that ram helps with is keeping apps in memory for fast app switching. Other than that it doesn't do anything with performance of the device. Plus I don't see any apps not working well because of lack of ram.

Most Android apps work on the playbook now.

I don't sell for rim but I enjoy recommending tablets to people that are sold below cost and will do pretty much anything an ipad will for 1/3 the cost.

You guys downplaying the specs of the playbook are silly.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I wouldn't say the Playbook is significantly better than an iPad 2 spec-wise, but it's a pretty decent piece of equipment.

It's just handicapped by RIM's OS right now. It's getting better and will get between, but I think everyone wil be ready for a PlayBook 2 by that time.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Most Android apps work on the playbook now.

I don't sell for rim but I enjoy recommending tablets to people that are sold below cost and will do pretty much anything an ipad will for 1/3 the cost.

You guys downplaying the specs of the playbook are silly.

You guys who think specs are all the matters are just as silly. So tell me, what do you use the 1GB of ram for?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I wouldn't say the Playbook is significantly better than an iPad 2 spec-wise, but it's a pretty decent piece of equipment.

The Playbook is powered by the OMAP4430 and SGX540, is it not? This is the same soc om the Fire, Nook Tablet, XyBoards/Xoom 2, Droid Bionic, and a few others. The SGX540, in particular, is not even in the same ballpark as the iPad 2.

The Playbook and TouchPad are two zombie products and unless you get them ultra cheap and intend to mod them from stock, they should not be purchased or recommended to anyone.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
The Playbook is powered by the OMAP4430 and SGX540, is it not? This is the same soc om the Fire, Nook Tablet, XyBoards/Xoom 2, Droid Bionic, and a few others. The SGX540, in particular, is not even in the same ballpark as the iPad 2.

The Playbook and TouchPad are two zombie products and unless you get them ultra cheap and intend to mod them from stock, they should not be purchased or recommended to anyone.

That's why I wouldn't say it's significantly better than the iPad 2. The playbook/fire are the exact same tablet, IIRC, except the Fire has 512MB of RAM, no cameras and no 'home' button.

But it's not BAD, hardware-wise at least. I mean, sure, I wouldn't buy one, but if I was ingrained in the BB ecosystem I would seriously consider it. That's the catch with the PlayBook right now. You really need to be a blackberry user to even consider it.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Unless someone can provide me a solution, I'm returning the non-rooted (and likely not easily rootable) RK2918-endowed Envizen Digital V700B 7" tablet I bought today.

It has 4.0.3 pre-installed on it but it can't read external media other than FAT32. Somebody told me there was NTFS support but nope (not even read-only), and I've already confirmed that ext3 and 4 don't work either, which I had guessed might work since it's a Linux device. That means it's limited to 4 GB, which makes it pointless in my situation for watching 1080p MKV since most of my files are bigger than 4 GB. I know the files would play fine otherwise, because clips from 10+ GB movies play perfectly on this tablet.

That, and the fact that the device can't see my iPhone 4's (native, not jailbroken) WiFi tether make it pretty useless to me.

I just don't understand why those designing Android 4 would leave out 4+ GB file compatibility.

Coming from the iPad 2, Android 4.0.3 really seems rough around the edges to me. There are occasional browser display errors on pages with embedded video that make it look betaish, at least on this tablet. Plus it seems significantly less intuitive to me, with odd choices for UI elements and design.

As far as I'm concerned, Google needs to hire better UI designers for Android, but also, if Android device manufacturers are going to market stuff like external media support as an advantage, Google needs to ensure that support isn't crippled out of the gate, like it is right now. One shouldn't have to root a device simply to play a 4.3 GB movie file, considering all the main chipsets include hardware 1080p H.264 accelerators right on-board. There seems to be a serious disconnect here.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Unless someone can provide me a solution, I'm returning the non-rooted (and likely not easily rootable) RK2918-endowed Envizen Digital V700B 7" tablet I bought today.

I just don't understand why those designing Android 4 would leave out 4+ GB file compatibility.

Coming from the iPad 2, Android 4.0.3 really seems rough around the edges to me. There are occasional browser display errors on pages with embedded video that make it look betaish, at least on this tablet. Plus it seems significantly less intuitive to me, with odd choices for UI elements and design.

As far as I'm concerned, Google needs to hire better UI designers for Android, but also, if Android device manufacturers are going to market stuff like external media support as an advantage, Google needs to ensure that support isn't crippled out of the gate, like it is right now. One shouldn't have to root a device simply to play a 4.3 GB movie file, considering all the main chipsets include hardware 1080p H.264 accelerators right on-board. There seems to be a serious disconnect here.

Err, Google didn't. I copied a 5.3GB 1080p rip to my Nexus, with 4.0.2, playing it without issue. The HoneyComb 3.2 Tab 8.9 took the complete file as well, though it couldn't play the file back. The issue is the cheapo Chinese tablet you bought, don't judge Android based on the sub-level basement of Android devices.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Err, Google didn't. I copied a 5.3GB 1080p rip to my Nexus, with 4.0.2, playing it without issue. The HoneyComb 3.2 Tab 8.9 took the complete file as well, though it couldn't play the file back. The issue is the cheapo Chinese tablet you bought, don't judge Android based on the sub-level basement of Android devices.
Try to install that 5.3 GB file onto an external flash memory card to be read by the Galaxy Nexus and then report back. Oh wait...

And 16 GB space max just isn't going to cut it for an Android tablet when it's to be used for 1080p file playback in 2012. Most of my movie files are over 6 GB, and several are over 10 GB. That's the point of external flash memory expansion, for a tablet.

Last edited:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Seriously, why the hell would I want to play a 5gb+ file on a device with a 7" screen? There's all kinds of ways to make a smaller file size that wouldn't make a bit of difference in perceived picture quality on a screen that small.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Seriously, why the hell would I want to play a 5gb+ file on a device with a 7" screen? There's all kinds of ways to make a smaller file size that wouldn't make a bit of difference in perceived picture quality on a screen that small.
It's a heluvalot easier to encode a movie once, and use it for everything, instead of encoding it 3 different times for 3 different devices.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009

It has 4.0.3 pre-installed on it but it can't read external media other than FAT32. Somebody told me there was NTFS support but nope (not even read-only), and I've already confirmed that ext3 and 4 don't work either, which I had guessed might work since it's a Linux device. That means it's limited to 4 GB, which makes it pointless in my situation for watching 1080p MKV since most of my files are bigger than 4 GB. I know the files would play fine otherwise, because clips from 10+ GB movies play perfectly on this tablet.

That, and the fact that the device can't see my iPhone 4's (native, not jailbroken) WiFi tether make it pretty useless to me.

You can't judge Android based on some hacked together tablet like that. Basically you got what you paid for and you would have had a very different experience if you had purchased a Galaxy Tab or Transformer Prime.

If you want a cheap tablet get a Kindle Fire otherwise don't even bother as it will be a waste of money.

Also fyi the tablet in those pictures is running Gingerbread not ICS, the search widget, launcher, and soft keys on the notification bar give it away.

Last edited:

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
Why are people playing huge files on their tablets and smartphones? What you do is have a NAS with your bluray rips and use transcoding. I stream the full file to my HDTV, but transcode it to my other portable devices.

You're going to have a hell of a time having one file to rule them all without transcoding.

slayernine

Jul 23, 2007
slayernine.com
Android is exactly what I want it to be:

- It is cheaper
- Offers more options such as usb ports, hdmi output, expandable memory
- It is open, I can do what I want with it
- Customizable, I can make it look how I want
- Comes in multiple sizes, I can get a size that isn't ridiculously huge

Still I look forward to ICS to bring the UI on par for responsiveness and for overall improvement.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
And 16 GB space max just isn't going to cut it for an Android tablet when it's to be used for 1080p file playback in 2012. Most of my movie files are over 6 GB, and several are over 10 GB. That's the point of external flash memory expansion, for a tablet.

I didn't buy the Nexus to play 1080p files.

But you're right on the tablet front, expandable storage is a necessity for tablets. The Tab 8.9 I picked up, which is a first tier tablet despite its age, only has 16GB of storage. And that gets filled up very quickly when loading it with 720p videos. Still, it supports external flash memory via an adapter. Works quite well, though its more of a pain than just having storage on the device.

The summer's high end Android tablets better all have expandable storage, given then they'll all have 1080p screens and the processing power to play HD video at that resolution.

The cheapo Chinese tablets are not representative of Android and you should have been aware of that before you bought one. Its a little dishonest of you to return it knowing this. You get what you pay for.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Why are people playing huge files on their tablets and smartphones? What you do is have a NAS with your bluray rips and use transcoding. I stream the full file to my HDTV, but transcode it to my other portable devices.

You're going to have a hell of a time having one file to rule them all without transcoding.

Quite a few people store their videos locally on the device rather than stream it. The Exynos and Tegra 3 Android devices have no problem playing any 1080p content and OMAP4 devices can handle most content just fine too.

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002

how would this work in the NYC subway 50 feet underground?

or in a corner of the house with poor wifi reception due to walls or lots of interference?

Status
Not open for further replies.