i don't understand how a round earth works

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Better question is being that the earth spins roughly 1000 MPH, if I flew a jet plane capable of sustaining that speed and at the proper latitude, and flying against the rotation, will I remain in the same place? Eh, yeah, think about that.

:hmm:

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Do you know like we were saying? About the Earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid. The first time they tell you that the world's turning and you just can't quite believe it because everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it. The turn of the Earth. The ground beneath our feet is spinning at a thousand miles an hour. And the entire planet is hurtling around the sun at sixty-seven thousand miles an hour and I can feel it. We're falling through space, you and me. Clinging to the skin of this tiny little world and if we let go... . That's who I am. Now forget me...

christopher-eccleston.jpg

:thumbsup:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
no, the plane flies its speed compared to the atmosphere, which is revolting around the axis with the earths crust/surface
from a different perspective, an astronaut in space, who wouldn´t see the surface as the reference, you may be right
same place in space: possible
same place above ground: impossible with aerodynamic flight
Yeah....for ever day in orbit, the International Space Station sees 15 sunrises and 15 sunsets. I don't think Superman even saw that many when he caused the Earth to spin backwards to save Lois that time. It's a very delicate system.

Sep 23, 2013
Just dropping in to say hi.
514cb016e4b023ca28f97f19

lol, in a way, like the atmoshpere and the earths surface, this chopper is revolting round the earths axis with said ~1000mp/h
so--> possible

think the original post meant something different (the one with spinning in a jet at 1000mph, not the one with earth being round an issue)

when one looks at a sattelite in a geosynchronous orbit, that´s flying round the earth at the exact right speed to stay "above" the same spot
(any TV sattelite)
it´s much faster of course on its own orbit
distance is 36000km

2*pi*36000km/24h=226194,67km/24h= 9424,777km/h

= 5890mph

a sattelite in closer orbit have to go even faster or gravity would suck it in (there is a given velocity for every stable orbit/ distance from earth in orbit)

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Yeah....for ever day in orbit, the International Space Station sees 15 sunrises and 15 sunsets. I don't think Superman even saw that many when he caused the Earth to spin backwards to save Lois that time. It's a very delicate system.

15 turns in 24hrs = 1.6hrs per turn
which sounds right, i thought it was 1.5hrs from memory

gives us a low orbital velocity of

(6400+400)km*2*pi/1,6h= 26703km/h

=16689mph in an orbit of 400km/250mls above ground

any slower: crash

any faster: "this is major tom to ground control..."

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The turn of the Earth. The ground beneath our feet is spinning at a thousand miles an hour. And the entire planet is hurtling around the sun at sixty-seven thousand miles an hour...

If we managed to create a magnetic field that displaced / ignored the pull of gravity. Would it appear to fling objects off the planet at a rate of sixty-seven thousand miles an hour?

Imagine something where the Earth and Sun's gravity could not effect it. It would lay motionless in space while everything else continued to move.

That'd be a scary "ride".

Sep 23, 2013
not in our lifetime

but there´s tons of so called "lagrangian" points in our solar system

mr. lagrange being the person who first described them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point

they are are located in certain distances between and off of systems of gravity forces (stars and planets), where the gravity of said forces nullify each other

those are already used for space flight, sattelites and telescopes are being positioned there

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Everything is relative. For someone in Australia, we're the ones that are upside down.

Remember this in self defense, your attacker ran into your shovel, you did not hit him. ;)